LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

Can you put some hatches on the other modules?

Edit: nevermind, I found that there is a seperate "hatch module" included, however they instead go inside the door and not in the actual module(im using crew manifest), Anyway still nice. Thanks for the pack!

Edited by lyndonguitar

Okay, I've got a quick update (The one that I was going to release a few days back but the Sun came out. I haven't seen that ol' ball of plasma since last August. I got sun-burn and then it started raining again).

MoreAdaptors+1x1Tanks.zip

Contains:

1x1: (Fuel, JetFuel and Kethane Tank)

1x1 to 2x1 Adaptor (Off-centre)

2x1 to 2.5m Circular adaptor

2x1 Kethane Converter

2x1 SAS

It's a bit rough around the edges (i.e. the Kethane converter is just uses PringleMan's edit with a re-skin), if you spot any glaring problems then say.

Can you put some hatches on the other modules?

Edit: nevermind, I found that there is a seperate "hatch module" included, however they instead go inside the door and not in the actual module(im using crew manifest), Anyway still nice. Thanks for the pack!

Yeah, that's a bit of a nuisance if the door falls off, it'll be dealt with better in the .1 release. (The painted on hatches on the end of objects will be phased out then as well, since it can be a bit jarring).

Btw, i found a bug with radial attachment of the 1 by 2 fuel/ox tanks.

What's the bug? Getting the radial attachment of the 2x1 tanks right does need a bit of work; In the mean time, if you work out a .cfg fix for it then post it, I'll credit you in the .cfg of the next release.

Also, if people have screenshots, it's always good to see them. I like seeing them and it gives me a better idea of what extra parts and tweaks are needed.

Edited by Lack

I made my first station mock ups (on kerbin only), And now I am having a hard time putting them on the moon. any tips?

EDIT: Hey man sorry If I am asking too much, but can you put additional nodes on the top of most of the modules? especially the 2x1 Hull and 4x2 Living Module?? Right now I can only stack them horizontally and It would be awesome to be able to stack them vertically too (To make tall buildings instead of long ones)

Edited by lyndonguitar

I made my first station mock ups (on kerbin only), And now I am having a hard time putting them on the moon. any tips?

EDIT: Hey man sorry If I am asking too much, but can you put additional nodes on the top of most of the modules? especially the 2x1 Hull and 4x2 Living Module?? Right now I can only stack them horizontally and It would be awesome to be able to stack them vertically too (To make tall buildings instead of long ones)

Things tend to get a bit fubar once you start having more than one pair of nodes (i.e. things tend to stop attaching the way you want them too), but it'd probably only take a quick .cfg edit. As for getting larger base parts down, sky-cranes and copious amounts of fuel are what I tend to use.

Alternatively, you can have each the fuel tanks below and have them fall away as they're used.

3s8N9Dr.jpg

u4ZwuFh.png

tEQN558.png

Db5R4LA.png

I've been playing around with some debris/heat shield parts (and because I thought it looked Homeworld-y).

ybBl6FW.png

zxnhCFB.png

yTsU78C.png

(Legs are from the B9 pack, obviously)

I've been playing around with some debris/heat shield parts (and because I thought it looked Homeworld-y).

(Legs are from the B9 pack, obviously)

Heat-shields look great!

Edited by Mekan1k

Thanks for the adapters. Here is the current revision of my kethane mining rover.

Sadly the wheels go at the first bump. I'll wait for the release of Rubber Band Inc Caterpillar tracks.

HKethaneRover.jpg

Thanks for the adapters. Here is the current revision of my kethane mining rover.

Sadly the wheels go at the first bump. I'll wait for the release of Rubber Band Inc Caterpillar tracks.

*snip*

Very nice, you could probably mess with the .cfg of those wheels to make them a bit more durable. I'm eagerly awaiting those Caterpillar tracks as well, hopefully there's enough ground-clearance for them to sit on the sides nicely.

More screenshots (Wings from B9)

86WeQQA.png

DifI9gj.png

q1qNyt9.png

rqs9wfG.jpg

Unfortunately about a minute after that Duna screenshot was taken it went into an uncontrollable spin and crashed. I overshot the landing site so tried to turn round but the atmosphere is pretty thin so I slipped into a side-stall.

hKE6m5k.png

CHfg2Np.png

dl9bmub.png

Edited by Lack

Your parts are awesome. Can't wait to mess around with the heatshields too.

Question that does not require a yes: Are you planning to get into IVAs? Totally just curious.

he said he will but it wont be any time soon

Good grief, this is beautiful. I hope these are reasonably aerodynamic, because I would hate to have to choose between this and FAR. I can't make decisions! I'm a politician!

EDIT: No, these are not aerodynamic at all. Could you make some decouplers and fairings for these so that I can get them into space?

Edited by Nobody_1707

Good grief, this is beautiful. I hope these are reasonably aerodynamic, because I would hate to have to choose between this and FAR. I can't make decisions! I'm a politician!

EDIT: No, these are not aerodynamic at all. Could you make some decouplers and fairings for these so that I can get them into space?

just what do your ships look like?

I managed to get this into space with very little difficulty... and leftover fuel lol

screenshot2_zps31615e0a.png

Yea, block shapes tend to not be aerodynamic...

I think there was a fairing fabricator tool that could make a fairing to suit your needs.

You're not using FAR are you? Because this is what happens when I try and launch that rocket:

k5jwrpricgceq3n4g.jpg

I've spent the morning messing around with FAR, haven't used it for a while but you can get things into space. You'll have to adjust both your expectations and ascent profile, mind.

I managed to get this into space quite easily and with plenty of fuel to spare, just had to make the gravity turn at about 50km rather than 10km otherwise you'll go a-tumbling. It's not the largest craft but the ascent rocket isn't exactly ridiculous.

http://imgur.com/a/o7zIq

RUckqpP.png

As for cockpits: The one for the Hog.

L0KWM7r.png

It's on hold at the moment, but you get the idea.

You're not using FAR are you? Because this is what happens when I try and launch that rocket:

k5jwrpricgceq3n4g.jpg

I dont think im going to use something that makes the game more difficult just for the sake of making it more difficult

I dont think im going to use something that makes the game more difficult just for the sake of making it more difficult

I do actually quite like FAR, if you've got the fairings then you can get things up much more easily (there's a joke in there somewhere) without using massively large asparagus rockets; it's great for space-planes as well. It's certainly a give and take affair when it comes to difficulty.

(Just) managed to get this one up with FAR.

SsTDRnL.png

9p3DKbM.png

WuBioZd.png

TFcCrIO.png

uOJD6vt.png

TPAudK1.png

Even managed to get it to Minmus

L6QiDH2.png

aDynQvL.png

(I'll have to admit, I did have to turn infinite fuel on about half-way up on the ascent, when I jettisoned the turbo-jets they broke the fuel lines powering the main engine, but still)

Edited by Lack

Thanks, I'll try waiting for 50k to turn. I like how your cockpit is coming along.

Oh, and FAR actually makes it easier for aerodynamic rockets to get into space, because it has realistic drag instead of the constant pea-soup effect that you get in stock. The problem is that non-aerodynamic rockets can end up with even more drag than stock. If I had a square decoupler then I could put the whole thing inside a fairing, but until then I'll just launch the Lackluster Vehicles like Lack showed me.

Thanks, I'll try waiting for 50k to turn. I like how your cockpit is coming along.

Oh, and FAR actually makes it easier for aerodynamic rockets to get into space, because it has realistic drag instead of the constant pea-soup effect that you get in stock. The problem is that non-aerodynamic rockets can end up with even more drag than stock. If I had a square decoupler then I could put the whole thing inside a fairing, but until then I'll just launch the Lackluster Vehicles like Lack showed me.

I might use that for space planes then

Edit: rather interesting mod, though i can now easily get my plane off the ground but i start spinnng when i switch from jet to rocket engines and trying to get higher than 10k with just jet is also proving to be rather difficult

Edited by Ember

Lack, your ship creations kick my creations' butts from Kerbin to Eeloo...

Also that basic-on hold peek at the hog IVA looks awesome.

Also just in case you missed my previous question: do you have any plans for decouplers based on the designs on the rest of your parts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.