LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

All of the Russian Orbital Segment's main modules come from variations of the old TKS design, now more widely known as the Functional Cargo Block. Except maybe the Zvezda, which still has common features...

Err... I don't think so. Zarya is the a TKS-based module. Zvezda has more in common with Salyut and MIR. Rassvet is essentially a MIR DC. Pirs and Poisk are both new designs intended for MIR-2. There's only one TKS in the entire ISS. MLM Nauka is planned to be the second one, but it's gonna be a while before it launches.

Err... I don't think so. Zarya is the a TKS-based module. Zvezda has more in common with Salyut and MIR. Rassvet is essentially a MIR DC. Pirs and Poisk are both new designs intended for MIR-2. There's only one TKS in the entire ISS. MLM Nauka is planned to be the second one, but it's gonna be a while before it launches.

But almost all of the Mir modules were TKS(or FGB, if you prefer)-derived, which means that their derivatives were also TKS-derived.

Almost all. Except the core. And the Docking Compartment. The core was derived from old Salyut and Almaz Space Station program. They had little in common with TKS, which was intended as a ferry spacecraft for the Almaz. Now, the DC was a new design, developed jointly by NASA and Roskosmos to allow Space Shuttle docking to MIR without moving Kristall around. Rassvet and Zvezda are not TKS derivatives, no matter how you slice it. Neither are Pirs and Poisk, they have more in common with Soyuz Orbital Module.

Hmm, what I'm realising from all this is that I know comparatively little about the CCCP/RF space program, don't suppose anyone has any book recommendations?

Anyway, messing around with another tank. Might see if I can find another texture, still looks too nasa-ry like this.

VSS2odY.png?1

Edited by Lack

I really like the tank. But perhaps it needs the accompaning normalmap from the source part too look even better

It will once I put it in Unity, I don't bother with the Normal map in Blender.

Possible alternative:

ZxkfEzv.png

Edits:

@Sauron,

I've added a 'Size 3'stack node to the centre portion of the SPKTR and enabled part clipping for it. So you can attach 3.75m parts to it in either direction, saves splitting it into multiple parts. Didn't notice any problems with phantom forces either. Going to be avoiding re-sizes for this mod, but it's easy enough for folks to do from the .cfg file.

@736,

It's very losely based of the An-255 'NATO Rep: Cossack' (hence the in-game name). But yeah, I might add an extra plane cockpit later on.

@BananaDealer & AntiMatter,

Big fan of tea. There's a tea-house not to far from me, they bring you a whole pot of tea, this pleases me greatly. Normally end up drinking more coffee though (far, far too much).

@JTG,

It just uses the stock IVA, so it locates from the model origin. I'm not even sure if it would be possible to have an IVA animated in such a way that the whole cabin moves.

Edit 2:

xagjEMj.png

That particular flight ended about as well as actual N1 tests.

Anyway, I've decided to try and set out a rough road-map for SXT. Splitting it into vague subjects I'd like to focus on. Currently have 'Space Race' (Focusing on parts inspired by real-life space craft from the space race), 'Aeronautics' (Aeroplanes and stuff) and 'Utilities' (Things I think might be useful).

Edited by Lack

I said "main" modules, didn't I? That excludes the mating adapters (Pirs, Passvet and Poisk).

Both Salyut and Mir are also based around the original TKS/FGB frame (the Mir itself being derived from the Salyut).

And yes, right now there is only one designated FGB (not TKS, the TKS is a separate type of craft) docked with the ISS, that being Zarya. But that doesn't mean the other Russian modules aren't based around the same common frame.

Much like most of the USOS (US Orbital Segment), whose modules also share a common design.

Hey Lack, they MEM has a problem with the engine auto igniting. I have a feeling that the game has a problem with having engines built into the command module. The Taurus HCV mod has the exact same problem. Perhaps make the engine for the MEM command pod be a separate part? Also is there a decoupler for the MEM?

I think I know what the problem with your N1 is, Lack. If you made the lower stage be 5m at the top and 6.25m at the bottom, the second stage 5m bottom and 3.75m top, and the third stage 3.75m bottom and 2.5m top, and then the munar complex above that, it might work. Currently, I think the rocket may be too straight to work.

Hey Lack, they MEM has a problem with the engine auto igniting. I have a feeling that the game has a problem with having engines built into the command module. The Taurus HCV mod has the exact same problem. Perhaps make the engine for the MEM command pod be a separate part? Also is there a decoupler for the MEM?

Couldn't replicate that. It uses the stock TR-2V decoupler.

Here's an example craft file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/MEM%20Example.craft

@736,

Have you got the ARM compatible patch (the latest one)? It's in the OP, follow bs1110101's instructions. Unless you've moved or deleted the Squad folder, you shouldn't have any problems.

Edit:

@wasmic,

Problems were mainly from the engine over-heating and blowing up. But hey, the real N1 did that and I don't like it when things are too easy. Things should be hard in life.

Sober edit:

I'm still not decided on where to have the soviet inspired parts move from between 'sizes', might be a bit too limiting. Could always have some ones that are straight (i.e. 3.75m to 3.75m) and those that move between weight classes. I'm not building a realistic N1 anyway, just parts inspired by the program.

Edited by Lack

Problems were mainly from the engine over-heating and blowing up. But hey, the real N1 did that and I don't like it when things are too easy. Things should be hard in life.

Sober edit:

I'm still not decided on where to have the soviet inspired parts move from between 'sizes', might be a bit too limiting. Could always have some ones that are straight (i.e. 3.75m to 3.75m) and those that move between weight classes. I'm not building a realistic N1 anyway, just parts inspired by the program.

Like you did with the Kerturn V. Or was it Jool V? or whatever. Any way you do it, I'm sure it will be cool.

Hey there!

I´ve discovered a bug with the LLL mod:

So when I load LLL with Squad and the NASAmission folder together, the game loads every part of LLL but doesn´t show it in the VAB/SPH.

Now when I load LLL without the NASA folder the game shows me every part of LLL.

Is it a problem on my side or is it on the side of the mod? Help me Lack!

Greetings, Mirakuli

I´m using LLL-Full.

But this is weird now. I added one part after another from the NASA folder and now it loads every part normally.

I don´t know what I did differently :/ But now it works fine so I´m happy ^^

PS.: I´ll add my other mods to the /gamedata-folder so I see if it might be another mod. I will give you an answer then.

I´m using LLL-Full.

But this is weird now. I added one part after another from the NASA folder and now it loads every part normally.

I don´t know what I did differently :/ But now it works fine so I´m happy ^^

PS.: I´ll add my other mods to the /gamedata-folder so I see if it might be another mod. I will give you an answer then.

Ok this is getting more weird than it is already... It doesn´t matter which mod you´ve installed. At a certain amount of parts I think the game stops loading parts and stops showing parts inside the VAB/SPH. As I see in the debug toolbar the game loads every texture, but not every model. The part counter stops around 930. Either it is because the game is 32 bit, I don´t really think that´s the problem, it already worked with those in .23 or it is just a bug of .23.5 and I have to wait for a fix or .24.

Btw do we know if the devs will use the new Unity engine with 64 bit support for .24?

Btw do we know if the devs will use the new Unity engine with 64 bit support for .24?

The Unity engine has always had 64bit build support. It doesn't work well. The latest announcement was that the development environment would be available in 64bit. Good news for developers, but no real impact for users like ourselves wanting a KSP 64 bit (outside of Linux).

The game simply crashes if it runs out of memory, with no warning or error outside of the logs, so you won't even get to see the VAB if that was the issue. It must be something else. Perhaps a corrupt model file? Try verifying your Steam cache.

I do seem to recall someone mentioning there being a model limit. The ~930 seems about right.

Edit: -Gavin answered it better-

Decided to make some slopped tanks. The 3.75m to 5m second-stage.

lYohKkK.png

---

Re: Re-organising LLL's file structure. (Realised I'd missed the comment)

I've got a github, link should be in the OP. I'll send you a PM in the next day or two.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.