[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

@nomrbond - How hard would it be to make a 3.75m version of the URM-250 fairing base and the salyut colored one. Is it as simple as using the same models, textures, and bump maps and just creating a new .cfg with the correct scaling data? I prefer having the 4 panels around my engines rather then the auto garbage can stock ones.

Oh I just realized that will cause a problem with 3.75m because the fairing will be right on top of each other. Is there a work-a-round or am I stuck with the crappy looking garbage can shrouds around my 3.75m engines?

@nomrbond - How hard would it be to make a 3.75m version of the URM-250 fairing base and the salyut colored one. Is it as simple as using the same models, textures, and bump maps and just creating a new .cfg with the correct scaling data? I prefer having the 4 panels around my engines rather then the auto garbage can stock ones.

Oh I just realized that will cause a problem with 3.75m because the fairing will be right on top of each other. Is there a work-a-round or am I stuck with the crappy looking garbage can shrouds around my 3.75m engines?

The side panels are procedural (part of PF) so they should 'just work'

You could make a new part.cfg with rescaleFactor 1.5 to make a 2.5m fairing parts copied into 3.75 parts (and bump the 7th node descriptor from 2 to 3), but fidelity is not guaranteed (they're not made with the intention of scaling), you'd need to ask CbbP for dedicated 3.75m/ARM-SLS sized URM fairing bases though as I just help out.

Yeah. People want Angara pack, the Zenit is just a bonus. :) Or you could focus on SSPP, rockets are one thing, but you also excel at making payloads for them.

Any status in when we might see a release of the 0.23.5 update to kosmos and can you add 3.75m versions of the procedural fairing parts? Forgive me if this has already been asked / answered. I did a search and keep seeing mentions of a github development but nothing to indicate when we might expect to see something. There are some things that really need to be fixed sooner rather then later such as the expanding image of the udm tanks in the VAB which are not only annoying visually but those parts are unusable until this bug is fixed.

On that note I had a response from nomrbond a couple pages back that a fix for that was implemented in of of the recent development builds. Is it possible to please just post a hot fix for that at least while we wait for a proper update?

On that note I had a response from nomrbond a couple pages back that a fix for that was implemented in of of the recent development builds. Is it possible to please just post a hot fix for that at least while we wait for a proper update?

The techTree hotfix link is in my signature

well damn.. I might as well just give up lol

Can't you just make some 2.5m Angara/URM parts, and just include a 2.5m RD-170? You don't have to make tanks specifically for the Zenit, if we want that, we'll use the one by stubbles.

The side panels are procedural (part of PF) so they should 'just work'

You could make a new part.cfg with rescaleFactor 1.5 to make a 2.5m fairing parts copied into 3.75 parts (and bump the 7th node descriptor from 2 to 3), but fidelity is not guaranteed (they're not made with the intention of scaling), you'd need to ask CbbP for dedicated 3.75m/ARM-SLS sized URM fairing bases though as I just help out.

I scaled one up too, since I like cBBp's textures for the fairing shells better than stock PF.

Here's what I changed (changes in bold):

MODEL

{

model=KOSMOS/Parts/FuelTank/URM_1.25M/URM_1_25_P_Fairing_Base

position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

scale = 3.0, 1.0, 3.0

rotation = 0, 0, 0

}

I use this rather than rescaleFactor because it has a tendency to futz around when scales are already used in model nodes.

title = URM-350 Fairing Base
and
name = URM_3_5_P_Fairing_Base
You'll need these to make sure you're not loading cfgs for the same part, etc.
node_stack_connect01 = -1.875, -0.12, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

node_stack_connect02 = 1.875, -0.12, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

MODULE

{

name = ProceduralFairingBase

baseSize=3.75

sideThickness=0.025

verticalStep=0.005

extraRadius=0.25

outlineSlices=8

outlineColor=0.25, 0.1, 0, 0.2

}

I don't know if the PF code 'sees' rescaleFactor, but scaling the model means that the nodes and base size remain consistent.

You can also change the weight and node sizes as NoMrBond has noted.

I haven't tried adding attachment nodes to add more fairing slices, but you could probably add a node_stack_connect03 and 04 and change the Z-axis to 1.875 and -1.875, however, I haven't tried this personally. I think PF automagically adjusts for this.

You don't need to rescale the fairing shells themselves because they'll resize automatically to fit the 3.75 diameter. I haven't had any visual issues with the scaling, cBBp's texures are high quality and even with Active Reduction enabled they still look very sharp.

Edited by MainSailor

The techTree hotfix link is in my signature

You misunderstood I was not asking for the techtree fix. I have that. What I'd like is a hot fix for the URM tanks that cannot be used because their icon in the vab just expands to fill the screen when you hover over them with the mouse and you cannot select them. See my post several pages back where I grabbed screen shots. You had mentioned creating a null module or something and that a fix had been implemented in the dev tree but since there is no timeline on anything is to be released is there any possibility you can release a hot fix for this issue so I can use the tanks and to eliminate the really annoying expanding icon thing?

Edited by ctbram

Can't you just make some 2.5m Angara/URM parts, and just include a 2.5m RD-170? You don't have to make tanks specifically for the Zenit, if we want that, we'll use the one by stubbles.

You might get some strange results there as the tanks from Stubbles Horizon package for the Zenit-3SLB don't use standard LFO amounts because their engines do not use the stock 0.9/1.1 burn mix ratio

can release a hot fix for this issue so I can use the tanks and to eliminate the really annoying expanding icon thing?

Oops, right, I'll try and figure out how to add that fix in there as well

[Edit] techTree module manager file updated to also including the URM - U series tank VAB-expansion fix (please let me know if this works)

Edited by NoMrBond

You might get some strange results there as the tanks from Stubbles Horizon package for the Zenit-3SLB don't use standard LFO amounts because their engines do not use the stock 0.9/1.1 burn mix ratio

nomrbond you are godlike in all ways! Your updated config appears to have foxed the urm tank issue. I tried hovering over everything and no more expanding icon and I can select all the urm tanks now.

Oops, right, I'll try and figure out how to add that fix in there as well

[Edit] techTree module manager file updated to also including the URM - U series tank VAB-expansion fix (please let me know if this works)

nomrbond - you are god like in all ways! Just installed the updated .cfg file and all the URM tanks seem to be working properly now.

That's not what I was talking about. I saw that cBBp was debating whether to do a full zenit or not to make one at all, and then I suggested that he could just make the zenit engines, sized for asage with his 2.5m URM tanks that he was also planning, thus not having to make two sets of 2.5m tanks. The only zenit parts he'd have to make would be the RD-170 and whatever engine it uses for an upper stage.

...to eliminate the really annoying expanding icon thing?

NoMrBond sir, how'd you fix this? I've seen this with a few parts in various mods and ran into it in my own mod development. Cheers in advance.

NoMrBond sir, how'd you fix this? I've seen this with a few parts in various mods and ran into it in my own mod development. Cheers in advance.

Add a 'does nothing' module (pointing to a transform that does not exist, if applicable) to the config like

//Startfix
MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCS
thrusterTransformName = notReallyAnything
thrusterPower = 0.0
resourceName = MonoPropellant
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 100
}
}
//Endfix

Which should stop it infinite-expanding in the VAB (I have no idea why).

This one was recommended by Frizzank originally (I think?) as it produces no errors (some modules don't like pointing to non-existent transforms, or having 0 values in them).

Edited by NoMrBond

Yeah. People want Angara pack, the Zenit is just a bonus. :) Or you could focus on SSPP, rockets are one thing, but you also excel at making payloads for them.

I know this is certainly true for me. :) Space Factory's option is commendable, but I've been spoiled by the KOSMOS of the past.