[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

Actually, 64% is based on the height of a Kerbal, not only the stock pod's dimensions (though they do match up quite neatly). Kerbals have odd proportions, with huge heads and especially helmets taking up a lot more space than on a human.

That's kind of what i meant. I know Normak has a huge essay written up with it and all the mathematics.

While updating my engine layout calculator (see signature) for KOSMOS 4.7, I noticed that some of the engines don't load for me at all.

I've found the problem. I've accidentally extracted the mod so that the folder structure would be GameData\GameData\KOSMOS\..., while it should of course be GameData\KOSMOS\... My fault there.

I think the eventual plan is to re-do/re-release all the textures as TGA's, as well as make other optimizations like in the last release.

Unfortunately some of the the base textures (pre-merged/processed MBM's) have been lost or are no longer considered up to spec, so these will need remaking either from scratch or very early assets. The textures would improve, but making them is also time consuming and would eat up development time on other material, re-parsing existing material in optimization pass/es is similarly beneficial, but also has a significant dev-time cost associated with it.

Direction and dev-time are solely decisions for Normak and cBBp though, but they do have these things in mind.

That's why i had to delete all the parts apart from the solar panels, it caused crashes all the time :/

I've found that resizing all the textures (tga files) by 50% lets me keep all the parts just fine. I also have NovaPunch, KW (also resized), and B9, along with 35 other mods installed. The little bit higher blurriness of the textures actually fits more with the stock ones.

I've found that resizing all the textures (tga files) by 50% lets me keep all the parts just fine. I also have NovaPunch, KW (also resized), and B9, along with 35 other mods installed. The little bit higher blurriness of the textures actually fits more with the stock ones.

if you are crashing because of memory isue please patch with http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kosmoslite/ it is already reduced textures for you.

I think the eventual plan is to re-do/re-release all the textures as TGA's, as well as make other optimizations like in the last release.

Unfortunately some of the the base textures (pre-merged/processed MBM's) have been lost or are no longer considered up to spec, so these will need remaking either from scratch or very early assets. The textures would improve, but making them is also time consuming and would eat up development time on other material, re-parsing existing material in optimization pass/es is similarly beneficial, but also has a significant dev-time cost associated with it.

Direction and dev-time are solely decisions for Normak and cBBp though, but they do have these things in mind.

lol yeah sharing a drop box is annoying.. that was the main reason things got over written and lost for TKS....

Perhaps try the Squad Texture Reducer as well, as it reconciles NPOT and shared textures within the Squad directory itself.

lol yeah sharing a drop box is annoying.. that was the main reason things got over written and lost for TKS....

Oh gez I hope that wasn't me :\ I would be ashamed forever

tumblr_m28k233rvu1qgwqw9o1_500.gif

Edited by NoMrBond

When reading the details of the KOSMOS parts I am led to believe the you can get inside these parts given the wording about internal airlock and "crew tunnels"

Do I understand this correctly that you can build "IVA" setups with these parts?

bump. Still need some info here :(

Leave them as-is. Squad plans to improve on IVAs, so I believe the proper functionality will come. Until then, I believe that we don't really need tunnel interiors.

intresting find form KWs Kyle CardBoardBoxprocessor: what do you mean?

Kickasskyle: you're putting about 4-5x as much into RAM by using TGA than an MBM equivilant

Kickasskyle: and no, thats not overstatement.

Kickasskyle: it really is that bad.

CardBoardBoxprocessor: good god why so 0_O

Kickasskyle: because unity, because KSP.

Kickasskyle: who can say.

intresting find form KWs Kyle CardBoardBoxprocessor: what do you mean?

Kickasskyle: you're putting about 4-5x as much into RAM by using TGA than an MBM equivilant

Kickasskyle: and no, thats not overstatement.

Kickasskyle: it really is that bad.

CardBoardBoxprocessor: good god why so 0_O

Kickasskyle: because unity, because KSP.

Kickasskyle: who can say.

Is that actually true? (and by that I mean, tested and confirmed?)

I'm not sure that it's true. KW recently changed all its files from .mbm to .tga AND added many extra files. The result was a little more than a doubling of RAM hugging, which goes fine in hand with a doubling of the amount of texture files. When the .tga's were downsized, KW suddenly used MUCH LESS RAM than it did when it used .mbm's. I believe that it is entirely unfounded, actually.