[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

BobCat uses TGA textures and people don't draw ponies on his parts. It might've been that way back during the days of the first KOSMOS pack, but plenty of time has passed. With the memory issues KSP is facing, TGA is a really good choice, especially since SSPP is best used with some kind of LV mod. With the N1, it could probably be reduced to just the procedural fairings mod, but now, you need something to launch those stations.

Yeah, but dont forget that he switched to PNG and it was better, up until the patch that messed png files so he had to go with TGA (dunno if thats still valid though). For example the "Soyuz_U_Third_stage" part is now 5mb, when with png it was 1.8mb

So ok i agree mbm's are not ok, but i dont think tga will help much either memory wise.

what about procedural fairings mod?

Nothing wrong with it, it's excellent for oddly shaped payloads, and your stations (especially with Balka panels) are just that. While other parts fit into standard fairings, Balka is too wide for even the expanded 3.75m KW fairing. Also, Procedural Fairings completely eliminate the need for standard fairings, saving memory.

Hey CBBP, did you ever consider making the UR-700? One of my personal favorites. It's modular like the rest of the Kosmos parts, it's short and stubby so it's more "kerbal sized". If you combine it with the LK-700, Kosmos would have a full "suite", with lifters, landers and station parts.

ur700all.jpg

lk70068.jpg

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/ur700.htm

If nothing else, I'd love to have landing legs in the style of the LK-700.

uits my understanding that TGAs are 20 bytes less than mbm via the way of a 20 byte header added to TGA t convert it to a MBM.

Actually the MBM is different from a PBM by a few bytes, and an MBM is 20 bytes larger then RAW format. TGA uses lossy compression, I believe so a TGA is a bad idea to use (and an uncompressed TGA Is just as an MBM. PNGs don't have lossy compression but are vastly compressed.

However, all of this is rendered moot as once loaded all textures become a DDS in your graphics card. So memory probably won't be saved at all (unless you decided to reduce your quality and use lossy TGAs.

Though, disk space wise PNG is nicest (and once the Unity people fix their <REDACTED>, will load faster then anything).

well once upon a time I had used tgas and people drew ponies all over the things and criticized my style of UV mapping. I did not like this.

That seems like criticizing a beautifully finished cake because you didn't like the way the baker cubed the butter

well once upon a time I had used tgas and people drew ponies all over the things and criticized my style of UV mapping. I did not like this.

Which bothered you more, the criticism or the ponies? Curious minds want to know.

Hey CBBP, did you ever consider making the UR-700? One of my personal favorites. It's modular like the rest of the Kosmos parts, it's short and stubby so it's more "kerbal sized". If you combine it with the LK-700, Kosmos would have a full "suite", with lifters, landers and station parts.

ur700all.jpg

lk70068.jpg

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/ur700.htm

If nothing else, I'd love to have landing legs in the style of the LK-700.

The old Angara stuff provided parts to allow you to make an UR-700 style lifter. they worked quite nice actually. Since I favored UR-700 more at the time for is practicality and modularity I still do. So when ever 3m parts are developed I would definitely like to make the stuff to do it again. I definitely like the big boy toy Rd-270 and RD-0120 engines. Currently trying to set about standards for things.

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

Nothing wrong with it, it's excellent for oddly shaped payloads, and your stations (especially with Balka panels) are just that. While other parts fit into standard fairings, Balka is too wide for even the expanded 3.75m KW fairing. Also, Procedural Fairings completely eliminate the need for standard fairings, saving memory.

pictures and a link if you would.

So i made it so all strut connectors can be jettisoned. 100%. anchors and all if wanted lol.

it's just a proton fitted for VA capsule, it can be easily done with Bobcat's proton

also, CBBP, whatever happened to the ability to double click the VA window? I remember it was very good for observing things

I just can't get sights as amazing as they once were

9495034887_32caa98714_c.jpg

Edited by KAO

what scale should I get it to?, and where should I get the fairings, ect?

edit: Thank you for the information, I still kinda hope CbbP will kinda do some of the fuel tanks from his old packs, but this should be a nice substitute for the time being.

Edited by betaking
request answered.

what scale should I get it to?, and where should I get the fairings, ect?

SKCoW9l.jpg

use KW Rocketry 3.75 meter fairings (normal, not extended), and the 3.75 diameter fits nicely with Bobcat's Proton

in this picture, I used three long girders to line everything up, though I'm sure there are other ways to do it

You dislike the Retro Rocket? lol

As for Proton I think that 3m rocket parts will work nicely :D

oh BTW hyper loop http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_images/hyperloop-alpha.pdf

and for those that never saw the old angara pack. Here is am image of the KOSMOS Space Craft Design bureau's Old Rocket Engine Scrap Yard.

R%20and%20D%20graveyard.png

The old Angara pack isn't in circulation anymore because of numerous changes to the game engine as well as some technical issues on our end. Scale differences, changes in part requirements, and lost development files temporarily killed it. Cardboard and I are working to restore the engines and tanks from the last working version of Angara, and are going to outfit the pack with many more features to make it much larger and more elaborate. To give you an idea, we won't be calling it the Angara pack anymore, because it will contain not just the Angara parts, but parts from N1 and Rus-M as well, and possibly even Soyuz parts.

I'm looking forward to the tanks, the engines look amazing don't get me wrong, but they seem a little off compared to others parts from parts from the AIES, NP ect. packs. Keep up the stellar work guys :)

ha. like I would want any of my stuff to remotely resemble Np. I decided to not bother making it look like stock or any other mods. If they don't like it oh well. Sure I could easily simplify it all and make it look like stock. tha would be a cake walk. But I refuse to do such things as more detail looks alot cooler IMO.

The old Angara stuff provided parts to allow you to make an UR-700 style lifter. they worked quite nice actually. Since I favored UR-700 more at the time for is practicality and modularity I still do. So when ever 3m parts are developed I would definitely like to make the stuff to do it again. I definitely like the big boy toy Rd-270 and RD-0120 engines. Currently trying to set about standards for things.

Awesome. I hope that one day Kosmos will have enough parts to replace stock parts all together.