The New Bobcat Colonization Challenge

I'd have to see its altitude to be certain, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one since you actually went to the trouble of augmenting the station at all. That had to have been a bit of a pain in the arse.

So I know this is a BobCat labeled challenge, but you may want to consider modifying it to allow some of the Lack Luster Labs components for structures that offer an additional bonus or something. Especially the module that has the animated legs. Maybe not counted as living modules (they lack an obvious greenhouse unless you use that dome component named "green house"). But perhaps as something like a colony's "Colony Hall" or "SCIENCE" building. Just a suggestion to help spice things up a little if people need/want it. Not trying to say this thread is boring at all though! I just think a little variety in addition to the familiar white and yellow cylindrical structures could be cool. It also prevents an identical thread devoted to LLL stuff from potentially popping up as per Sal's recommendations in the sticky.

Unless of course you wish to keep this as a company specific thread, in which case disregard the above text and only count the below :P

I've found it quite enjoyable to see what everyone has come up with, and attempt to emulate myself though I haven't quite got the structure landing down yet, though I am getting better!

Great! Though I should warn you, over time Ike is going to interfere with that station's orbit. Be prepared to, as they say, "take evasive maneuvers" so it doesn't become a permanent smear on the Ike landscape. :P

right, so if I've got a satellite network for the 'eye in the sky' bonus, I'm assuming they need antennas and the like right? and does a kethane scanner count as a comms device?

Unfortunately, no; both versions are pretty clearly intended to only send and receive telemetry about Kethane. Although I will count either of the Communotrons, as well as any fan-made equivalent devices (ISA Mapsat, for example; that's quite clearly capable of transmitting much higher-bandwidth signals, ergo comms make sense as a sub-function).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So recently I had an idea to use each of the planets as a slingshot to get from one to the other without requiring any additional fuel from the initial escape burn.

The point being I would create a massive puller, launch it into Kerbin orbit, attach multiple setups for HOME bases, set up an escape burn aimed at accomplishing a few gravity assist pulls and then as I am being slingshot around planets to drop off the bases.

Not sure if it is possible, as I have been trying to figure this out myself. It may require many years in Kerbal time before the planets align in such a fashion, but not to worry the set up may take quite some time.

Any thoughts on it?

With the announcement of save breaking updates, I suppose I'll post my work in progress just to get a bit of score in here. I was at first trying for the colony ship challenge, but my old laptop cant handle the parts. Instead, i retconned a few of my models to work for the HOME challenge! I was using the Mun as a staging zone just to see how well parts landed and worked together, but since most of them are configured for atmospheric landings it was harder than I thought to land.

I hereby present Distalvis!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Big Burtha tug used to move the colonies around still needs a lot of work since i didnt take the weight of the colonies in to consideration, but it has space for TONS of chemically-induced comatose kerbals. Complete with vertical landing capabilities, it was meant to be used for the opt out score, but I neglected to screenshot it after transferring 30 kerbals and leaving for another load.

Each colony pod comes with its own "inflateable gym" on top, filled with inflateable gym equipment! (Warning, inflateable gym equipment may not actually reduce bone loss, but it WILL make you feel super strong!)

The gas'n'go station is a few kilometers away, planning it as a waystation between colonies and kethane mining. It's actually rather balanced weight-wise, still a pain to land, and the only thing i neglected to test is which way the solar panels would face...DOH!

Scoring:

Mun: 10

Distalvis:

6 HOME habitats: 90

4 HOME recons: 40

30 Residents: 30

Gas'n'Go

Distinct Colony within 10k and an ANT: 10

1 HOME habitat: 15

1 HOME recon: 10

3 residents: 3

Total score: 198

Hopefully the update wont be out for just a LITTLE longer so I can get my score up a bit lol!

Just wanted to check that if Kerbals are allowed to "live" in Recon modules (which have 4 seats) for the sake of Kerbal Resident count. It seems since you don't allow Kerbals to ride up in either Habitat or Recon modules that it would be reasonable to count such Kerbals. aka you have to go through the work of transporting them to the planet.

Edited by gm537

Well I have finally finished my massive Mun colony. :D

My first site with Gas Guzzler and Site to Behold

sir1Ogt.jpg

Looking South you can see all the sites:

wF4XrXy.png

Site 3 which is representative of Sites 3 through 8 (Site 2 is same design as 1)

cdp3KU0.jpg

The capital ship Site 9

lTz0OOE.jpg

The album is here for some point checking.

http://imgur.com/a/qqd5l

My calculation of total points:

Site 1 Enzo:

Site to Behold: 50

Gas Guzzler: 50

7 HOME Habitats: 105

3 HOME Recons w/ ANT: 30

HOME Power Plant: 15

Resident Kerbals: 42

Sub-Total: 292

Site 2 Modena:

7 HOME Habitats: 105

Resident Kerbals: 42

Sub-Total: 192

Site 3 Maranello:

8 HOME Habitats: 120

Resident Kerbals: 46

Sub-Total: 211

Site 4 Testarossa:

Identical to Site 3

Site 5 Dino:

Identical to Site 3

Site 6 GTO:

Identical to Site 3

Site 7 California:

Identical to Site 3

Site 8 Italia:

Identical to Site 3

Site 9 LaFerrari:

Site to Behold: 50

20 HOME Habitats: 300

6 HOME Recons w/ ANT: 60

Charlie's Deli and Shoe Store: 5

Resident Kerbals: 118

Sub-Total: 548

Colony Total with 90 point site bonus and 10 point Mun bonus:

2,398 points

Edited by gm537
Bad Math :P

• 2 months later...
since you can't get a "G"SO for most tidally locked bodies, can I put a station just out of it's SOI with a 1:1 resonance and still get "eye in the sky"?

As long as the colony is always in sight of the station, I'm fine with it. I also allow for satellite arrays, as noted.

Wow, this challenge was long-forgotten. Maybe it'll see a revival now!

long forgotten? it's been like 4 months.

anyway, i'd hate to see something this awesome die.

Falling off page 1 of the challenges section is generally a death sentence for most challenges, since new ones pop up at a rate of about 5 a day. The popular ones might survive being on page 2 or 3 for a while, but that's usually a sign that they're falling out of favor.

can we have floating colonies on eve?

I can't see why not. Floating Laythe colonies are fine too. Although the logistics of linking floating colony sites to one another is a bit messy. I'd require that any DEMVs you use for that to have some form of extra sustainable propulsion (ie. electric propellers, airship balloons, submarine ballasts, etc.); you can't drive on water, after all!