[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

If this is a double post sorry after upgrading from R3.4 to R4.0 my game crashes, I installed everything correctly but upon start up it instantly crashes, any idea how to fix this? R3.4 worked fine for .22 for me just wanted the new parts :)

You did not install everything correctly. If you did, it wouldn't crash. The only other explanation is an out-of-memory crash, in which case you will have to downsize a lot of textures (B9 has a criminally high amount of high-res textures), or just delete the parts you don't use.

If you installed all the parts and plugins and are using version 0.22 it should be working. What OS are you guys on?

If you're on OSX, you have to use copy and paste, dragging the mod's GameData directory over the default one will replace instead of merging.

Or, you could open up the Mod's GameData directory, select its contents, copy them, and paste them inside KSP's GameData.

Yeah, I use OSX 10.8.5 or some nonsense. I drag everything from the Mod's directory into the KSP gamedata directory. So there's 5 new things in it along with Squad and engineer (from kerbal engineer redux). When I open the game the main Screen freaks out. Let me try to get a screenshot.

http://imgur.com/AwFnR71 And it flashes. Also , I tried to see what the actual game looks like but it just froze at the loading screen.

Would using the low res textures fix it? What do I do to install those?

Edited by Dinker31

I'm having a similar issue: With B9 installed, I get crashes when switching between VAB/SPH and launch pad/runway, regardless of what parts are involved. After looking over one of the crash reports that did get generated (several cases where it crashed with no report), it appears that MechJeb is the cause. However, if I uninstall B9, MechJeb and my other installed mods work fine. In the past, I've had no problems with having B9 and MechJeb in at the same time.

Several other reports point towards memory allocation errors (crashes that just trying to load the VAB/SPH after resuming the save).

Link to .zip with two crash reports (on dropbox)

Apologies if this has been answered before but why do the ailerons crazily flap about whenever I turn SAS on? This happens when I use the vanilla ailerons as well as the B9 ones.

What control part do I have to place in order to fix this? How to fix this?

Much appreciated.

Like others have mentioned, I'm having an issue with crashes to desktop with B9 installed. Even with no B9 parts used on a craft, or even yet unlocked in the career mode, it crashes. Likewise, with B9 installed, startup of the game takes considerably longer than before.

Perhaps it has something to do with the update that was apparently released on Steam earlier today? Not sure.

If this is a double post sorry after upgrading from R3.4 to R4.0 my game crashes, I installed everything correctly but upon start up it instantly crashes, any idea how to fix this? R3.4 worked fine for .22 for me just wanted the new parts :)
I second this. My game crashes when I try to go to the VAB even if the ship in the VAB doesn't have B9 parts... (Was somewhere in the middle of career mode)
You did not install everything correctly. If you did, it wouldn't crash. The only other explanation is an out-of-memory crash, in which case you will have to downsize a lot of textures (B9 has a criminally high amount of high-res textures), or just delete the parts you don't use.
Yeah, I use OSX 10.8.5 or some nonsense. I drag everything from the Mod's directory into the KSP gamedata directory. So there's 5 new things in it along with Squad and engineer (from kerbal engineer redux). When I open the game the main Screen freaks out. Let me try to get a screenshot.

http://imgur.com/AwFnR71 And it flashes. Also , I tried to see what the actual game looks like but it just froze at the loading screen.

Would using the low res textures fix it? What do I do to install those?

I'm having a similar issue: With B9 installed, I get crashes when switching between VAB/SPH and launch pad/runway, regardless of what parts are involved. After looking over one of the crash reports that did get generated (several cases where it crashed with no report), it appears that MechJeb is the cause. However, if I uninstall B9, MechJeb and my other installed mods work fine. In the past, I've had no problems with having B9 and MechJeb in at the same time.

You're all running out of memory. Use the reduced textures pack.

Open it up, take the GameData folder inside, and copy it over the base B9 installation.

Meaning if you're on that monkey OS called OSX copy and paste, don't drag. I'm getting sick of mentioning this to mac users.

well yeah, I'm quite sure that everything is ok but still ..

anyway, i'm running on windows 7 with the non-steam version of ksp

You did not install the plugins correctly. This is what happens when ExsurgentEngineering is not installed.

You're all running out of memory. Use the reduced textures pack.

Open it up, take the GameData folder inside, and copy it over the base B9 installation.

Meaning if you're on that monkey OS called OSX copy and paste, don't drag. I'm getting sick of mentioning this to mac users.

Okay, that is helpful to know. So does the reduced B9 folder over-write the normal one, or go inside? Because when I do the copy/paste like you said it goes inside.

I think I got it. Thanks for the help, Taverius. I've spent literally all day trying to get this because I've used it in the past and know how good it is. Sorry for sucking at computers. haha

Edited by Dinker31

You're all running out of memory. Use the reduced textures pack. -snip-

Yeah, we know that, that's why we're reporting the problem in hopes of a hotfix or something. And yes, I too am having the crashing problems, I'll give details in a minute. But Taverius, it's not very constructive to call us all stupid because we've started having problems since installing R4.0c. Sure, I suppose a few people may have installed some things in the wrong place, or not properly updated all of the plugins, etc., but I can assure you that I have everything installed correctly, including the reduced texture pack, and I'm still having problems. And the sheer number of crash reports since the new version came out should indicate that not all is well in B9 land, at the very least, and they can't ALL be 'user error', I should think. So, maybe take another look at B9 from your end? That's all we're asking for, man.

Anyway, here's my experience. I, like several others, have been experiencing crashes when going from launch to VAB, SPH, etc. But I've also had several crashes when flying with MechJeb as well, and I can only surmise that R4.0c and MechJeb don't 'work and play well together'. :) I'm not assigning blame to one or the other, I'm just suggesting that this may be a place to start investigating. After updating B9, I was using MJ dev build 84, crashed. After a few tries, I thought maybe it was MJ, so I reverted to build 83. Kept crashing. Went back to 82, which was working fine for me before updating B9, still crashing. Last night I went all the way back to Sarbian's hot fix from September, same problems. So tonight I'm going to revert B9 back to 3.4 and go back to MJ 84, or whatever the newest build available is, and I'll bet you a dollar that it stops crashing. Again, this isn't an indictment of B9, I think it's just one of those software things where MJ and B9 conflict somehow. I'm sure we'll get it figured out, it'll just take a little time. :)

So, Taverius, I know you're frustrated, and I don't blame you, dude. :) So are we, and we're all just trying to fix the problem, it's not a personal attack, 'k? 'K.

How could that be possible? I've got 4 gb VRAM and 12 gb system RAM.

Because KSP is a 32 bit program and can't address more than 4GB of Memory, period.

Seriously, they need to force people to understand this before they're allowed to use more than 4GB of memory on a computer. I'm getting tired of hearing people say 'but how could I be out of memory I have X GB'. Like a '64 bit license' that you're only allowed to use 32 bit without it.

It's a basic, fundamental limitation of the architecture.

And before you ask, no, they can't release a 64 bit version because Unity's 64 bit versions for OSX and Windows are not stable. Linux already has a 64 bit version, but if you didn't realize that KSP was 32 bit and limited to 4GB Linux is probably not something you should be trying, frankly.

Edited by Tiron

4.0 has just a few more textures than 3.4 (most of the new parts are reusing the old textures), and raw bitmap size of all texture data is even lower than it was (as multiple x2048 textures are no longer used), so there is nothing about the part selection that would push the memory usage higher in comparison with the previous releases. The change of the texture format is completely irrelevant either, we have double checked the peak memory usage with both PNG and uncompressed TGA and it's always at 2.2Gb, identical down to a megabyte (claims that PNG textures reduce the peak footprint are false).

Whatever happened with lots of you suddenly getting out of memory crashes is more likely related to 0.22.

Edited by bac9

Yeah, we know that, that's why we're reporting the problem in hopes of a hotfix or something. And yes, I too am having the crashing problems, I'll give details in a minute. But Taverius, it's not very constructive to call us all stupid because we've started having problems since installing R4.0c. Sure, I suppose a few people may have installed some things in the wrong place, or not properly updated all of the plugins, etc., but I can assure you that I have everything installed correctly, including the reduced texture pack, and I'm still having problems. And the sheer number of crash reports since the new version came out should indicate that not all is well in B9 land, at the very least, and they can't ALL be 'user error', I should think. So, maybe take another look at B9 from your end? That's all we're asking for, man.

Anyway, here's my experience. I, like several others, have been experiencing crashes when going from launch to VAB, SPH, etc. But I've also had several crashes when flying with MechJeb as well, and I can only surmise that R4.0c and MechJeb don't 'work and play well together'. :) I'm not assigning blame to one or the other, I'm just suggesting that this may be a place to start investigating. After updating B9, I was using MJ dev build 84, crashed. After a few tries, I thought maybe it was MJ, so I reverted to build 83. Kept crashing. Went back to 82, which was working fine for me before updating B9, still crashing. Last night I went all the way back to Sarbian's hot fix from September, same problems. So tonight I'm going to revert B9 back to 3.4 and go back to MJ 84, or whatever the newest build available is, and I'll bet you a dollar that it stops crashing. Again, this isn't an indictment of B9, I think it's just one of those software things where MJ and B9 conflict somehow. I'm sure we'll get it figured out, it'll just take a little time. :)

So, Taverius, I know you're frustrated, and I don't blame you, dude. :) So are we, and we're all just trying to fix the problem, it's not a personal attack, 'k? 'K.

@Neutrinovore,

You are running out of memory, what you described is exactly what happens when KSP hits the 4 gig limit, its actually around 3.6. They added quite a bit more parts to the B9 pack in the new update and the reduced textures don't seem to be enough to compensate. You can find out how much memory KSP is using by going to the task Manager while the game is open or the equivalent for Mac and OSX, go to the processes tab, find KSP and look at the number next to it, it should be 7 digits long, mine starts at the 2,700,000k or thereabouts when at the game start menu.

You need to check this number regularly at different points in the game if you are experiencing crashing, the start menu, the Space center screen, when in the VAB or SPH, when on the launch pad, and right before finishing a mission. The number should be at its largest right before you are finishing a mission, if the number shows 3,700,000k give or take 100,000k or so, your game will crash, lock up, or generally be highly unstable at this point. For those who don't know yet, It doesn't matter how much RAM you have in your computer, this is a hardwired number that is part of KSP, its a software limitation not a hardware limitation, if you do not understand the difference you probably shouldn't be modding this game.

Its probably been said somewhere before but I will say it here again, KSP has a mod limit, that limit is memory and every mod out there takes bits of that memory, B9 is a hefty one, mostly because of part count and probably some from the other features, animated parts, the MFDs in the cockpits, and so on. Think of it like a 20 gallon gas tank, you put in 15 gallons (B9 pack), you only have 5 gallons left before the tank overflows and douses you with flammable liquid. Each and every mod takes memory, its not just part count that takes that memory its just a big one, im betting things like computing physics or automating something take quite a bit of memory, I heard that Ferram Aerospace mod is a memory hog and yet it adds no parts to the game.

I didn’t see anywhere in the above post by Taverius where he called anyone stupid. He probably is frustrated, considering many people new to the game post their problem before doing any research what so ever, and just 5 minutes of reading would have showed them their issue and probably a lot of ways to fix it. If you are modding a game you should know what you are getting yourself into, do your research!! Watch several tutorial videos by different people, and maybe learn to make your own mod so you can see the other side of things. If you don't know how to mod a game, look for your problem with that mod first before posting it, most forums have a known bugs section and some modders put them on their front page. You could also use Google or another search engine to find your problem. If that is too much for you I recommend you go back to stock and stop trying to mod your game, modding requires work from both the mod dev and the mod user.

Please remember these modders are doing this for free, they are doing something they enjoy and want to share it with others, they don't have to fix the mod because it doesn't work for you, but most do because they want to and they want you to enjoy their mod.

Edit: @Bac9 or Taverios,

I just noticed Bac9s post that said this mod peaked at 2.2Gb mem usage, is there a way to determine how much memory a mod uses at peak, any mod, because that would make things a lot easier on determining what mods we want in our lineup. Iv been trying to trim my part usage so I could have B9 in my lineup but if its taking that much room by itself I may have to nix it altogether, I love the pack, but I don't make a whole lot of space planes or jets and most of the parts don't seem practical for me. Plus there are other mods id like to use and if B9 is that big, it pretty much means no other mods but this one. Forgive me if im mistaken, im just getting used to this memory limit thing.

Edited by Savage117

Its probably been said somewhere before but I will say it here again, KSP has a mod limit, that limit is memory and every mod out there takes bits of that memory, B9 is a hefty one, mostly because of part count and probably some from the other features, animated parts, the MFDs in the cockpits, and so on. Think of it like a 20 gallon gas tank, you put in 15 gallons (B9 pack), you only have 5 gallons left before the tank overflows and douses you with flammable liquid. Each and every mod takes memory, its not just part count that takes that memory its just a big one, im betting things like computing physics or automating something take quite a bit of memory, I heard that Ferram Aerospace mod is a memory hog and yet it adds no parts to the game.

I just want to clarify here - parts themsselves take up almost no memory. What really takes up RAM is textures, and B9 has quite a lot of 1024*1024 textures. If you downsize all of your 1024*1024 textures, you might just end up with a B9 pack with a more than halved memory footprint. If you downres ALL of the textures to half of the usual size, B9 will have a little more than a quarter of the previous footprint.

For people complaining about crashes, try changing the texture quality option in the options menu. If you can't play the game, the option can also be accessed through the launcher. I was suffering from frequent crashes, and not being able to add any more mods, but changing that option fixed everything, and made the game use much less RAM.

I just want to clarify here - parts themsselves take up almost no memory. What really takes up RAM is textures, and B9 has quite a lot of 1024*1024 textures. If you downsize all of your 1024*1024 textures, you might just end up with a B9 pack with a more than halved memory footprint. If you downres ALL of the textures to half of the usual size, B9 will have a little more than a quarter of the previous footprint.

Thank you for that clarification Wasmic, I knew that, but it sliped my mind when writing my wall o text. :) How might one downrez all of their B9 textures, I know changing the graphics options will do it but that lowers all textures not just B9 and I have a hard time giving up those beautiful views from space.

....... That's what the reduced textures pack in 4.0c does.