Hello/My first satellite deployment

Kerbface

I just purchased the full version of this game the other day after playing the demo version for a while. It doesn't run on my computer very well buy I'll probably be getting a new PC sometime before years end.

After some practice in the demo I was able to get into orbit with a basic rocket. After getting the full version my first project was to get a crew module for a space station into orbit and returning safely to the ground. I built the module and rocket myself because I think that's much more fun than using the default designs. It took many tries, but I eventually got it into an orbit. However, I wasn't really sure how to circularise it. I have seen a video explaining how to do it with nodes but I must have missed something because a) I don't know how to get it to show me the information on how and when to burn to achieve the projected orbit and B) I'm not sure how to make the projected orbit circular, it always seems quite off even when I'm using the manouver nodes from the apoapsis. Anyway, I winged it and on second try managed to get an orbit with a periapsis of 82km and an apoapsis of 210.

So I was happy with that for a first deployed sattelite (although I think that may be a little decaying, because 80km is still fairly low), and all seemed going well returning but I foolishly time accelerated and my parachute just dissapeared when I was not even going fast (it had already opened up). So my ship crashed and my Kerbal's died. :( I had forgotten my plan to put 2 of them in the station module before I left for the surface.

I'm not sure how to open my solar panels. Apparently there's supposed to be an option to "extend panels" when you right click on them, but mine just say "status: retracted" and won't let me do anything.

Anyway, those are just my first experiences.

EDIT: Also, I find many of the other player's projects very interesting, I am subscribed to several KSP youtubers.

Edited by Kerbface

Nice work!!! If you accelerate at the highest part of your orbit it will increase altitude at the lowest point. Or reduce speed at the lower point to lower altitude on the opposite side. I can just about get a decent circular orbit now 100k is good...

To get an orbit circular you simply need to get both the periapsis and the apoapsis at around the same altitude. You can just burn towards the velocity marker on the navball when you get to apoapsis until the AP and PE markers start to spin around in the map view(you can still control you ship and see the navball in the map view by clicking on the little box with an up arrow in it where the navball usually is) to get your orbit as circular as possible.

Also, as long as the orbit is above 70km it won't get slowed down at all by the atmosphere, since it completely cuts off around 69km. Your satellite will be fine.

And with the solar panels, are you still in time warp? Because you're not able to control your ship at all while time is moving faster than x5 speed.

Congratulations with the deployment of your first satellite, and good luck with your future missions! :D

Hi Kerbface, congrats on your satellite :)

The solar panels should open as long as your probe has power, so make sure you have enough batteries to last until you open them or add one of those ox-stat panels as a backup.

Have fun making satellites and fly safe :D

Your battery only lasts so long before it's completely drained, so if it's taking you a while to sustain an orbit you want, you might not have enough power to extend your solar panels.

Oh yeah and welcome to the space race :)