KIDI- Kerbal Interplanetary Defence Initiative

this was made because someone asked to make a vessel capable of deploying space mines however when i came back to post it the event occurred so here it is xg9WuxZ.png launching 6bQb8RT.png gravity turn JtB2ub1.png deorbiting RMGab6X.png image of the mine feild from tracking station Below this are assorted images i was planning on posting to the original thread s9Fp8nm.pngkU6bvLC.jpgtPk5Y1L.jpgZksfax1.png6BTspVe.pngdsMZqd8.png

Finaly! Someone used my frameshift engine for something!

So I finally got this sucker into orbit. All it needed was my reverse-engineered Nova, an awful lot of struts, and some patience. Ladies and Gentleman, let me present to you the Dreadnaught:

Z9lRFgl.png

Sporting 12 smart missiles and with enough room on the hangar for 4 light fighters (I launched it with just two to try to limit the part count a bit, it is like 450 parts without launcher with the full compliment), it is a force to be reckoned with. Room for six kerbals, an optical ORDA telescope to aid in target acquisition (with engineer redux, those are the only two parts non-stock, I think, though perhaps some other from KSPX got in without me noticing), and all the bells and whistles I could think of. Some more shots so you can appreciate it to the full extent:

aqP4JTB.jpg

j6ekqNF.jpg

YZG4iKr.png

2k4tK3u.jpg

aT6RCcy.jpg

There were some issues with launch, namely that the adaptor to the Nova launcher refused to come off and is still stuck to the ship. Well, it's light and it doesn't seem to bother the exhaust of the Nervas. Also, apparently I didn't get the center of thrust 100% right, because if you go over 60% thrust it starts pitching up uncontrollably. But what the boop! Getting it to fly in the first place makes me proud enough. This is how we got it to orbit:

NKWutEy.jpg

sAkCP18.png

MgMfaoA.png

Edit: I almost forgot, if anyone wants the craft file, I'll be happy to oblige. But since it is not 100% stock, and it really serves no practical purpose, it is not going to my thread, I think. Though you could change my mind, and make me go through the bother of editing it... I swear, even handling it on the hangar is rather complicated. The sucker is BIG!

Rune. Ad astra per kaboom!

Edited by Rune

It's beautiful... I can't figure out how to put stuff on ships and launch them, like missiles and crap. :(

But it's definitely the bee's knees. Well done, old bean.

Although, Dreadnaught is more of a class of ship, rather than a name. You should give it an actual name. ;D

this is another battleship type craft

screenshot17.png

firing it 4 triple barreled lasers:D

image.png

It does use quite a few mods but i put it up on the forum for people to look at mostly and if someone realy wants it ill put up the craft file

Mods used

-laser system .26

-the camera that works with that mod

-the lasers that go with that mod

-mechjeb 2.0

-B9 aero space pack (for the bigger panels so i could keep part count down)

working a large carrier that i will post soon

just a carrier i made

screenshot29.png

screenshot33.png

screenshot32.png

It has a lot of room for other crew (16 empty spots for crew) and plenty of docking ports. it also has tones of rcs fuel and because i used the B9 aero space pack its part count is realy low for how big it is (i think its under 200). Probiably wont put up craft file because its realy bugy but im tryin to fix that.

Mods used

-mechjeb 2.0

-B9 aero space pack (for the bigger panels so i could keep part count down)

Nice carrier. Just asking though, how many parts?

As I said in the post, with the full 4 fighter complement, it is around 450 parts on orbit. The one I'm posting, with only two but with a Nova booster on the back, clocks in at 683 parts on launch. Not for slow computers, I'm afraid.

It's beautiful... I can't figure out how to put stuff on ships and launch them, like missiles and crap. :(

But it's definitely the bee's knees. Well done, old bean.

Although, Dreadnaught is more of a class of ship, rather than a name. You should give it an actual name. ;D

HMS Dreadnaught was in fact the name of a very famous real-life battleship that greatly advanced the state of the art at the time, spawning an arms race and quickly becoming obsolete as the new techniques (steam turbines, big guns only...) became widespread. The royal Navy being what it is, it was like the sixth ship carrying that name. And despite what you may have seen on videogames, no class of ships has ever been formally classified as "Dreadnaughts". Oh, and the "missiles" are actually probes docked to the ship, so just manually undock them and quickly guide them to the target with RCS (before they run out of power, that is).

I would love to give that craft a try sir, although I would prefer to add the mods you're using to my own setup than you edit it to fit. Which mods are you using?

Well, here you go, kind sir. The mods I know it has are the ORDA telescope (the small one), and Kerbal Engineer Redux. The mod I think it might have are some parts from the KSPX pack. Not sure, though. And you might want to address the adapter issue, too. Oh, and take some care with staging, I think I had to make some changes on the fly with the final stage to run on the nuclear engines, and each fighter is armed with 10 decoupler "shots" (I have the small decouplers edited to have an absurd speed, with ejection force 300, I think, which is 20x normal). You can imagine the mess to find the one you actually want to decouple on the staging.

Edit: Crap, now that I've tried looking up the real-life ship, I noticed I messed up the name. It's HMS Dreadnought. Also, the first one was a 1573 41-gun galleon.

Rune. Glad you guys like it! ^_^

Edited by Rune

I know about the HMS Dreadnaught, but I guess I misread about dreadnaughts being a class... And it wasn't because I played vidya games. :P Although I do follow the lore of Mass Effect for classes of ships for space faring vessels since the lore in the game is so well done and in depth. Also I play a bunch of space themed board games that also have that as a class. But hell, that was just my opinion. It's still rad as all hell.

That's what I thought the missiles were, for some reason when I tried to make them, I failed horribly. I'll try again then, see if I suck less.

Edited by bacondeity

I know about the HMS Dreadnaught, but it was because of it, that the Dreadnaught became a class, or rather type of ship, though not formally, like you said. I follow the lore of Mass Effect for classes of ships for space faring vessels since the lore in the game is so well done and in depth. Also I play a bunch of space themed board games that also have that as a class. But hell, that was just my opinion. It's still rad as all hell.

That's what I thought the missiles were, for some reason when I tried to make them, I failed horribly. I'll try again then, see if I suck less.

Well, there's also the real reason I named it as I did... I suck at coming up with names, the file is named "Battlestar Mk III - Nova" :P

Hell, that's a good name too. :I

I would love to try it, but I'm trying to just play stock, at the very least till release. And I make all of my jam stock too, so I know I can share with people without issue.

And if it makes you feel better, the ships I've recently made (that are fantastical and not ye olde probes and space stations) are all named from StarCraft. :P

Personally I don't understand where the word "Dreadnaught" or "Dreadnought" came from. Dread, synonymous with fear and trepidation, naught or nought, synonymous with absence of or nothing - so fear nothing? Unless the word was meant to describe the idea that these ships were designed to be fearful of nothing...

@Rune: I'll definitely give that a go once I'm home!

Personally I don't understand where the word "Dreadnaught" or "Dreadnought" came from. Dread, synonymous with fear and trepidation, naught or nought, synonymous with absence of or nothing - so fear nothing? Unless the word was meant to describe the idea that these ships were designed to be fearful of nothing...

@Rune: I'll definitely give that a go once I'm home!

Yeah, I think it is pretty much the same as saying "fearless"... only it sound much more ominous, which is convenient for a warship. Have in mind the first use was in the sixteenth century, too. And it seems the USA spelling is indeed dreadnaught, there have been a few small boats named such in the US navy.

And of course, glad you like it! And mind the advice I gave in the post, it is not really release-ready, or not as much as I usually make them... I think I should really have taken the 10 seconds it takes to rearrange the staging properly for the last stage, and looked into the adapter situation, I still don't know how it stays connected. Good thing the "Nova"'s last stage has a redundant decoupler. Taking out the mods is really easy, both parts are in the communication tower, but of course to load it in the first place you need to have them installed.

Rune. Well, you know how these things go. ^^'

I made this corvette (not the car) a few days ago using the B9 aerospace and KW rocketry packs.

O7BytvZ.png

I'm still working out some flight issues with it, but other than that it works pretty well.

This is my ICBM I use just for fun or to launch a bunch of target decoys into orbit for blowing up.

ngt3KgU.png

aQo51EY.png

pU7LIkI.png

6fLcgqM.png

As you can see it contains six MIRVs which actually can be moved for different impact points.

Erm, it appears the ORDA telescope mod was consumed by the Purge? :(

Well, I sure wasn't expecting that. And it isn't on the spaceport? Well, here you go:

http://www./?p21jdr3i90b14h6

I feel kind of bad uploading it (it's not mine of course, and perhaps it's gone on purpose), but that's the version I have installed, it should work with that.

I think I will revisit this and provide a better download at some point. Who knows, perhaps I will even start a "Rune's KIDI Skunkworks" thread for my modded/military stuff.

As I said in the post, with the full 4 fighter complement, it is around 450 parts on orbit. The one I'm posting, with only two but with a Nova booster on the back, clocks in at 683 parts on launch. Not for slow computers, I'm afraid.

HMS Dreadnaught was in fact the name of a very famous real-life battleship that greatly advanced the state of the art at the time, spawning an arms race and quickly becoming obsolete as the new techniques (steam turbines, big guns only...) became widespread. The royal Navy being what it is, it was like the sixth ship carrying that name. And despite what you may have seen on videogames, no class of ships has ever been formally classified as "Dreadnaughts". Oh, and the "missiles" are actually probes docked to the ship, so just manually undock them and quickly guide them to the target with RCS (before they run out of power, that is).

Well, here you go, kind sir. The mods I know it has are the ORDA telescope (the small one), and Kerbal Engineer Redux. The mod I think it might have are some parts from the KSPX pack. Not sure, though. And you might want to address the adapter issue, too. Oh, and take some care with staging, I think I had to make some changes on the fly with the final stage to run on the nuclear engines, and each fighter is armed with 10 decoupler "shots" (I have the small decouplers edited to have an absurd speed, with ejection force 300, I think, which is 20x normal). You can imagine the mess to find the one you actually want to decouple on the staging.

Edit: Crap, now that I've tried looking up the real-life ship, I noticed I messed up the name. It's HMS Dreadnought. Also, the first one was a 1573 41-gun galleon.

Rune. Glad you guys like it! ^_^

Hey rune, that's an amazing vehicle, however I installed all the mods you said but it always says im missing the advsasmoduletoggle, so can you please help? cheers mate!

Hey rune, that's an amazing vehicle, however I installed all the mods you said but it always says im missing the advsasmoduletoggle, so can you please help? cheers mate!

Whoops! That's the toggle-capable ASAS mod. Awesome to take care of station wobbles, but honestly don't know why I put it there. See, I have to start paying more attention, or do a clean install to check this stuff before I upload.

Here it is on the spaceport.

Rune. Damn, you guys all seem to like it, but I've released in the most crappy way imaginable. Seriously, this is getting a mark two with the bugs ironed out, I promise! :blush:

Whoops! That's the toggle-capable ASAS mod. Awesome to take care of station wobbles, but honestly don't know why I put it there. See, I have to start paying more attention, or do a clean install to check this stuff before I upload.

Here it is on the spaceport.

Rune. Damn, you guys all seem to like it, but I've released in the most crappy way imaginable. Seriously, this is getting a mark two with the bugs ironed out, I promise! :blush:

Thanks for that, Rune, the ships amazing and I really enjoyed blowing up my space station with it :D Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.