Challenging YouTubers! w/ HOCgaming and TheMattDennis - Submission Thread

Challenge: land at KSC using the save below. Here are some rules:

1. Once touched down you can't lift off again

2. You may quicksave once at any point on the orbit.

3. Multiple attempts allowed, just use the quick save you made.

4. Here is a scoring system:

1 pts. landing on the bright grass around ksc

20 pts. for landing on the launch pad

15 pts for landing on the runway

100 pts for landing on the hangar

200 pts for landing on the vab.

Have fun. Here is the save: http://bakercomputing.squarespace.com/storage/KSC%20Landing%20Challenge.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey, i think that you should each pick a pod(preferably a different one for each of you) and then the person who can roll it to the other end of the runway in the shortest mission time wins! you cant add rockets or RCS to help roll it however you can add other stuff if you like(e.g. a solar panel)

• 4 weeks later...

Build a spaceplane that is propelled only by solar powered ion engines. (as much xenon as you want) no batteries

1. you must increase altitude to over 1000 meters and maintain altitude for at least 10 mins. (acceleration allowed)

2. The undercarriage may be rocket assisted, however, you may not carry the undercarriage any higher than 5 meters. "basically a slingshot"

3. besides the undercarriage, the plane must remain in one piece.

4. you are not required to make a successful landing.

5. bonus points if you can successfully land. (parachutes allowed)

Tourist Orbital thrill: challenge to orbit a small station around any body in the system at the lowest circularized periapsis possible. And then bring in a ship to dock tourists to it while avoiding colliding with the ground.

Double points for grinding the crack...aka orbiting through canyons. Triple points for 3 concurrent EVAs (formation flying) while grinding a crack.

Edited by inigma

Simply plant a flag on the VAB helipad. Fastest mission time wins. This should be pretty easy and leave plenty of time for multiple retries and redesigns to shave seconds off your time. Perhaps whoever succeeds first in real-time gets a 1 or 2 second bonus on his fastest time. Thanks for the great videos.

-Emu7

• 1 month later...

While in free fall near a planet or moon, jettison off some sort of payload that has at least some sepatrons for a speed boost and a parachute (set to deploy). Then the challenge is to try to hit the payload in midair after the parachute on the payload deploys. Bonus points for starting at higher altitudes and/or using a shallower angle for the initial separation.

OK, so, one of my video's (not posted yet) i was landing on minmus.

I'd made a manuver node did a burn and it went horribly wrong and I overshot slightly.

So, emergency retrograde burn and I'm in the vicinity of minmus.

So trying to use the manuver node to enter a decent orbit of minmus and instead i manage... well, something i thought was impossible...

I managed to get a trajectory that caused an encounter with kerbal, mun and a close call with minmus again... and my first thought was themat and hoc...

So, i have a challenge for you both...

To plot a trajectory and then fly a path that has an encounter with a minimum of three planets.

Rules:

Once you are within the gravity field of the first gravity body (planet or moon), no further propulsion or control input is allowed and SAS should be turned off. This means no reaction controls, no RCS, no aerodynamic control surfaces. Oh, and no shifting of mass or weird breaking of the laws of physics ether. The player must be completely hands off and leave their space... pod... in the hands of Sir Isaac Newton....

No automated or computer controlled flight pathing or auto burning.

The flight MUST encounter the gravity fields of atleast 3 planetary body's.

Ballistic trajectory outside the solar system constitutes an end to the challenge.

Crashing on a planet constitutes the challenge is a failure regardless of the number of planets encountered.

Getting locked into an orbit that will never 'end' or encounter another body constitutes an end to the challenge.

Minimum of one kerbal present in vehicle.

Automatic failure of challenge if kerbal death occurs.

No custom or edited parts or mods.

The originating gravity body does not count as the first sling shot, however should the space craft encounter the planet after encountering another body then this does count.

The sun does not class as an encounter unless the pass is below 100KM from the suns surface.

Aerodynamic surfaces are allowed, but no control surfaces.

Automatic challenge fail if any debris is left at the end of the challenge. This includes any remaining launch clamps (but you 'could' blow them up...)

No EVAing kerbals...

Artificial gravity does not count.

Time warping between encounters is allowed, however, the total encounter / sling shot must not be performed at time warps above 2x.

Bonus Points are awarded for:

Additional encounters above three with planetary bodies/gravity fields.

Every group of three kerbals present in the launch vehicles.

Every breakage that occurs ether during or after the first encounter.

Low passes below 10KM height of a moon.

Huge bonus points for:

Every instance of atmo skimming with visible effects.

Landing on a planet with no damage (lowering the gear / deploying of parachutes is allowed but only AFTER atmospheric re-entry is complete and fireball / mach effects have disappeared....

Multiple vehicles containing kerbals launched at the same time that also travel the same initial trajectory. (separation allowed but only prior to encounter of first gravity field)... (number of slingshots are averaged between all pods / vehicles)... (all pods / vehicles must include atleast one kerbal)

MEGA bonus points for:

Landing without damage on dry land on kerbal

Landing without damage on dryland within 25KM of KSC or the second one.

Passing through the arch on the mun

Space craft weighing over 200T at the end of the challenge.

MEGA Points deducted for every time a kerbal is sad.

In the highly unlikely event of a tie, winner is determined by lowest mission time (this includes the time even if you time warp prior to launch, or while in orbit before first encounter).

This one will keep people entertained for days trying to get the best...

I really hope mat&hoc take this one up as a challenge...

CW

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.