[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

What direction is your command module/probe core facing? The navball is set to whatever part you are controlling.

A Google search told me that the probe (was using an unmanned probe to fly it) was upside down. Indeed it was. Flipped it around and now all is good.

I do have a request, and this is an entirely different thing. That rocket in the picture, isn't going to work. It wobbles on its clamps, rotates very slowly in space; even with RCS, and Rolled out of control before I could do my intercept course to Mun.

Pictures of something like this crane idea that's capable of getting into space and the Mun without incident, would be great. Since mine is "unacceptable" to the game engine.

So besides the obvious practical applications of this, I'm thinking of using it for, essentially, base-building RP...

If I mount the winch on a power generating lander, and then attach a connector to another base building (via EVA), will the latter receive power as if they were physically connected? (My reading of the OP seems to say so.)

Can I hook up multiple buildings in this fashion, if I have enough winches on the power module?

Is there a physical limit to the length of the "cables" generated in this fashion? (Not counting the 2.5k render limit, of course; thinking more in terms of dozens of meters.)

So besides the obvious practical applications of this, I'm thinking of using it for, essentially, base-building RP...

If I mount the winch on a power generating lander, and then attach a connector to another base building (via EVA), will the latter receive power as if they were physically connected? (My reading of the OP seems to say so.)

Can I hook up multiple buildings in this fashion, if I have enough winches on the power module?

Is there a physical limit to the length of the "cables" generated in this fashion? (Not counting the 2.5k render limit, of course; thinking more in terms of dozens of meters.)

Correct! You can use docked mode to connect buildings together and will automatically distribute power (as well as mono and xeon). Make sure you have 5m of slack when you plug them in to avoid moving your components when physics updates. The cables have a 50m defaut range, which is pretty far walk.

<EDIT:> Wow, I should have just read up at the top of the last page, LOL

This is a huge thread, so please forgive me if this has been answered before but I have three questions:

1. What is the maximum distance a cable can be run?

2. Can electricity be transferred as a resource if the line is connected to a bank of RTG reactors?

3. Is KAS compatible with 20.2?

I am planning on making a cold weather base at the north pole of Kerbin, and i wanted to run power lines from my nuclear reactor bank and/or solar bank to my out buildings.

Thanks!

Edited by engelnicht
Stupidity!

<EDIT:> Wow, I should have just read up at the top of the last page, LOL

This is a huge thread, so please forgive me if this has been answered before but I have three questions:

1. What is the maximum distance a cable can be run?

2. Can electricity be transferred as a resource if the line is connected to a bank of RTG reactors?

3. Is KAS compatible with 20.2?

I am planning on making a cold weather base at the north pole of Kerbin, and i wanted to run power lines from my nuclear reactor bank and/or solar bank to my out buildings.

Thanks!

50meters by default, yes, and yes =P

To clarify a bit....

The cable is set to 50meters by default, but can be changed in the winch config. I personaly use a 1200meter winch for certain applications. Though I have had very bad things happen trying to go over the 2kkm draw/load distance.

If KAS is connected in dock mode it can transfer resources in the same way 2 ships docked with ports can transfer.

And yes, Kas works for KSP 0.20+

Love this Mod, I was wondering if there is a way to use it to connect 2 items together in space, instead of docking ports. Would like to be able to use the Buran to haul a module to space, use a kerbin to EVA to the existing modules, instal a connector and then use the Arm to connect the payload to the station. Any Ideas?

Thxz

I feel like a putz, but I can't find exactly how to install one of the folders.

I'm using Steam version of KSP. There's a folder downloaded labeled "Source" and I can't find an equivalent in my game folder. Also, there's a "Texture" folder with one texture in it (the cable). The only texture folders in my game file are one folder for each part, and there is no cable part. Are these supposed to somehow go in the plugin data folder?

When I load the game, it won't use the sounds that go with the mod, I'm assuming it has something to do with my abovementioned problems.

Put the 'KAS' folder (and anything in it) from the zip file into your KSP 'GameData' folder and job done. Just drag n drop it.

The Source folder is a requirement for KSP mods I believe to supply the source code for anything you put in a mod.

So you should have

.../KSP/GameData/KAS

.../KSP/GameData/KAS/Parts

.../KSP/GameData/KAS/Plugins

.../KSP/GameData/KAS/Sounds

.../KSP/GameData/KAS/Source (you can delete this if you want)

.../KSP/GameData/KAS/Textures

Edited by King Jareth

I've got a problem. KAS loads and the winch functions correctly, but I can't grab anything that uses KAS grab modules. I tried it with the connector for EVA tethering.

I have a ship stranded in an orbit around the Mun, and sent a mission to refuel it using a mountable connector... Is it not possible to attach a mountable connector to a ship in space? I've had no problems attaching them to parts on the surface of a planet, but I've been trying to connect it to my ship in orbit around the Mun for the last hour and it won't work. When I press H to let me attach the connector to a ship, the little module remains yellow no matter where I try to place it or how close I get my Kerbal to the spot I want the connector.

Can someone help me out here?

I can't get this to work at all. I've just been testing on the ground, with zero success.

In the VAB, I attach a Vertical winch to the side of my ship (Hitchhiker container). I attach a connector to the winch. I attach a hook to the connector.

When I go out to the launch pad and send my kerbonaut EVA and walk him around to the winch, the only thing the context menu allows me to do is to unplug the connector. It falls to the ground and I can't even pick it up. G and H and other keys do nothing.

I'm clearly missing something VERY basic here - can anybody advise me on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Can someone help me out here?

I can't get this to work at all. I've just been testing on the ground, with zero success.

In the VAB, I attach a Vertical winch to the side of my ship (Hitchhiker container). I attach a connector to the winch. I attach a hook to the connector.

When I go out to the launch pad and send my kerbonaut EVA and walk him around to the winch, the only thing the context menu allows me to do is to unplug the connector. It falls to the ground and I can't even pick it up. G and H and other keys do nothing.

I'm clearly missing something VERY basic here - can anybody advise me on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

The menu you get depends on what you right-click. If you click the winch you should get a menu with extend, retract, release, etc. If you click the connector you get unplug. If you click the "hook" you can grab it and carry it around to connect it to something. What exactly are you wanting to do with it?

Click on the different parts to see what you can do with them. There will be 3 parts, the winch itself, the connector, and the part you are connecting to: magnet, grapple, or one of the ports.

I am having issues with the winch on takeoff. Upon reaching 6000m the camera tracks down with what I assume is the center mass of the vessel. I believe the problem is the connector as this issue does not happen when it is the winch alone. I looked to see if there was a limit in the programming, but nothing there. Anyone have an idea.

I think I'm putting the connector onto the winch backwards. I got it to work once, and I was able to grab the magnet, carryit around, attack it to the ship, etc. But every other time it didn't work.

Just to make sure I get it correctly. when I'm in the VAB:

Winch first, attached to the ship.

Then connector, right? Which end should be pointing out?

Then hook or magnet, or I can just have the connector which I could plug into a receptacle if I've placed one on another ship.

And if I do all that correctly, when I EVA and get to the winch, I'll be able to grab the hook/magnet/connector, release the winch, grab the cable wherever I want it (within range, of course), connect to another ship, etc. Is that right?

Sorry to be so dense about thos!

3VOp7S8.png

That's the proper way to put plug in winch.

Also the CoM shifting bug as far as I know is an issue between KAS and Lazor Systems. I belive it was fixed though, so make sure your running newest versions of both those mods.

Thanks! I think/hope I've got it now!

Just to clarify: if you have a magnet, hook, or anchor attached to the plug the only right-click option you will get is 'disconnect'. Mainly because those attachments are meant to be used just with the winch controls, not EVA. The anchor is only meant to have weight and mass, its really intended to let airships savegame midair. The magnet can be energized to pick stuff up via the KAS gui. And the hook....EJECT...need I say more =)

Hey guys. Anyone of you have an idea to get a small rover (using the default body) to say like, Duna, that uses KAS?

I'm looking for one that can be strapped to a small rocket + skycrane with parachutes. This is what I made, but I think it'll be a tad too heavy. It has a fixed arm with a vertical winch + magnet, for RP purposes, can scan the planet surface.

2z7k0b5.jpg

From what I've read in this thread so far, KAS is best used for space stations. But I haven't really seen anyone talk about getting one to another planet, to serve something like this. Either it being a tow rover to tow damaged rovers back to a base on another planet, or what I want to use it for.

Edited by Benie