[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

I am testing now to see if it works with 0.21.

EDIT: It seems to still be working, though if I find anything wrong, I'll be sure to say so.

the detachable port cant be re- attached

the detachable port cant be re- attached

There seems to be an issue with re-attaching it (in orbit only?), but you can work around that by doing the following:

* Grab detachable port with your favorite kerbal in EVA mode

* Go to space center

* Go to tracking center and select your EVA kerbal with the detachable port

* Attach port as normal

I'm not sure if there's a trigger that doesn't get tripped or what, but it seems like it all works nicely after doing those four steps (hitting the loading screen in the process). Once you're able to attach one port, it looks like you can pull it off and reattach it all day no problem until your EVA kerbal goes back inside his craft. If you decide to EVA again, you'll have to go through those four steps to get attachment working. Pain in the butt, but mostly works okay.

Is it possible for a Kerbal to grab ahold of an anchor and attach it to the plug of a winch?

What's happening is my airship, I cannot hook up a rocket to get it to where I want to go, since the bottom of the craft is the anchor. Can't put a stack decoupler there.

I'm thinking I can radically attach it to the side of the lander can. Then when I reach the other planet and have the airship landed, the Kerbal can jump and grab it, then attach it to the plug.

Edited by Benie

Is it possible for a Kerbal to grab ahold of an anchor and attach it to the plug of a winch?

What's happening is my airship, I cannot hook up a rocket to get it to where I want to go, since the bottom of the craft is the anchor. Can't put a stack decoupler there.

I'm thinking I can radically attach it to the side of the lander can. Then when I reach the other planet and have the airship landed, the Kerbal can jump and grab it, then attach it to the plug.

why not add the winch on the side at the beginning, or rather, front/ back on airship, just get it as close to center as possible.

engines will change the balance more than the one ton anchor.

lCRlxxh.png

This shows one of mine airships, this is an sample return probe for Laythe, two grinders for balloons engines and solar panels, engine and tail rotor in the ends.

Anchor is connected to rocket with seperators so I can drop it before accent to orbit with one ton less the balloons can take me higher before starting the engines.

If not I might have placed it on either some center structure or the back grinder.

There seems to be an issue with re-attaching it (in orbit only?), but you can work around that by doing the following:

* Grab detachable port with your favorite kerbal in EVA mode

* Go to space center

* Go to tracking center and select your EVA kerbal with the detachable port

* Attach port as normal

I'm not sure if there's a trigger that doesn't get tripped or what, but it seems like it all works nicely after doing those four steps (hitting the loading screen in the process). Once you're able to attach one port, it looks like you can pull it off and reattach it all day no problem until your EVA kerbal goes back inside his craft. If you decide to EVA again, you'll have to go through those four steps to get attachment working. Pain in the butt, but mostly works okay.

ya this solves the problem

Development has slowed this last months, as I'm pretty busy IRL until the end of the year. I also didn't get any new models from Winn75, as it was busy too.

However, I managed to find time to add a completly new feature for KAS v0.4, something that a lot of people will like for sure :)

This feature is near completion, and will post more information about it soon :)

Cool! Any chance we could get a little sneak peak? :)

Hey everyone, I'm running 2.02 and I have a bug with the winch. I see the GUI menu, though the controls do nothing! I have tried binding them to action buttons, yes still they do nothing! I cannot use either winches, the only thing I can do is knock the tip off using EVA. The 1,2,3... buttons do not work, and none of the buttons work manually either.

Here is a list of my mods if anyone can tell me a compatibility problem!!

B9_Aerospace

BobCatind

CleverWalrus

CrewManifest

DeadlyReentry

DRobotics

ExsurgentEngineering

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FASA_Asteroids

FerramAerospaceResearch

FireSpitter

Girder Pack 1.1

JARFR_CRSS

Kas

Keramzit

Kerbaltek

Kethane

KineTechAnimation

KWRocketry

MagicSmokeIndustries

MechJeb2

ModularFuelTanks

ModuelManagerSourcesxx

nothke_DROMOMAN

PartCatalog

ProceduralDynamics

ResGen

Romfarer

Squad

StockImprovementProject

subassemblyloader

Thanks guys!!

Hey everyone, I'm running 2.02 and I have a bug with the winch. I see the GUI menu, though the controls do nothing! I have tried binding them to action buttons, yes still they do nothing! I cannot use either winches, the only thing I can do is knock the tip off using EVA. The 1,2,3... buttons do not work, and none of the buttons work manually either.

Here is a list of my mods if anyone can tell me a compatibility problem!!

B9_Aerospace

BobCatind

CleverWalrus

CrewManifest

DeadlyReentry

DRobotics

ExsurgentEngineering

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FASA_Asteroids

FerramAerospaceResearch

FireSpitter

Girder Pack 1.1

JARFR_CRSS

Kas

Keramzit

Kerbaltek

Kethane

KineTechAnimation

KWRocketry

MagicSmokeIndustries

MechJeb2

ModularFuelTanks

ModuelManagerSourcesxx

nothke_DROMOMAN

PartCatalog

ProceduralDynamics

ResGen

Romfarer

Squad

StockImprovementProject

subassemblyloader

Thanks guys!!

I have no idea why it isn't working for you, buuut it might be KW Rocketry, replace it with nova punch (if you want)because I found KW rocketry bugged out a LOT for me, it caused so many crashes. OR it could be something to do with bobcats mods, because if found them very buggy as well. (this might not help at all but its worth taking out some mods and testing if it works :P)

I have no idea why it isn't working for you, buuut it might be KW Rocketry, replace it with nova punch (if you want)because I found KW rocketry bugged out a LOT for me, it caused so many crashes. OR it could be something to do with bobcats mods, because if found them very buggy as well. (this might not help at all but its worth taking out some mods and testing if it works :P)

I'm sorry but I find it highly unlikely that it's KW Rocketry. It doesn't even contain a plugin, which means there is no actual code there that could crash. KW Rocketry is basically the only mod I always use, and I haven't had any crashes, either lately or ever. KW Rocketry can of course have bugs, but that would just mean something not aligning correctly in the VAB and similar things. It should never EVER cause a crash (if it did, it would technically be the fault of KSP itself).

Anything that contains a plugin (which includes a .dll) is much more likely to cause crashes, there is actual program code in it that can be faulty. So please don't go blaming poor old KW, it may not be perfect, but it really doesn't cause any crashes!

I'm sorry but I find it highly unlikely that it's KW Rocketry. It doesn't even contain a plugin, which means there is no actual code there that could crash. KW Rocketry is basically the only mod I always use, and I haven't had any crashes, either lately or ever. KW Rocketry can of course have bugs, but that would just mean something not aligning correctly in the VAB and similar things. It should never EVER cause a crash (if it did, it would technically be the fault of KSP itself).

Anything that contains a plugin (which includes a .dll) is much more likely to cause crashes, there is actual program code in it that can be faulty. So please don't go blaming poor old KW, it may not be perfect, but it really doesn't cause any crashes!

Sorry, but this is NOT accurate info...

KW can very well cause crashes, any single part can, under the right conditions, cause the game to crash. KW is kinda a high footprint pack. Add it ontop of several other mods and it could cause a crash by forcing KSP over its memory usage limit.....

KW is known both for its excellent parts, and its insane memory usage.

Memory usage is light in regard to mordern hardware, but KSP is already flirting with the 32bits memory limit. KW easily push it above 2go, especially if you run on high graphics and/or high part counts.

It is indeed a KSP fault, caused by KW bad optimization and squad not wanting to switch to 64bits unity for now.

That's why you're advised to switch to Novapunch. Nova is a lot more optimized.

Hmm... I'm in EVA right now trying to grab the winch plug to connect to a dead ship (guess who forgot the solar panel :blush: ), and I have the option to unplug the connector, which lets it drift off into space apparently unrecoverable, and no other options. No option on the winch either.

I attached the vertical stack winch to the side of my rocket and put a connector on the end of it, then went to rendezvous.

Did I maybe forget a step or is there something wrong with my install?

EDIT: I zoomed way close and unplugged the connector. I think that it may have gone in backwards. Is the large end of the connector supposed to be inside or outside? Detachable ports detach and reattach fine for me, and I was able to grab the magnet disk out of the storage but not attach it to the winch.

EDIT 2: After testing it seems there are 3 ways the connector likes to try to attach but only one works for grabbing it EVA. It snaps to backwards, if you turn it yourself it tries to snap to the wrong node, clipping it into the winch. Only the way with it sticking out a little works.

Edited by iueras

I have a question. I'm on Mun, rolling around using my unmanned rover. I accidently brake too hard and it gets damaged and flips over.

Is it possible to make a winch/crane system that can be flown to Mun, dropped, sent to the damaged rover, and retrieve it? I know I'll also need a manned mission to be able to use the winch. But I want to know if I can get the rover as it lies, instead of needing to attach anything.

I myself built a special Crane Rover for this very purpose. My little rovers kept flipping over so I just drive over with the big Crane Rover and grab it with a connector and drop it back on its wheels. Doesn't fix any parts, but so long as the power source and the engine remain in tact I can still drive them. (Of course all the batteries in the world are useless if all the solar cells are broken. Have a couple of the small rovers at the base now with limited range because they need to be refueled from an external source. Usually using the KAS link to the base and drain juice from the main batts.)

Alacrity