[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

gonna wait for the new feature and a 0.21.1 stamp on the main page, but excited with anticipation!

Why wait? ALOT of people use KAS, if there was major issue with it in 0.21.+ there would be alot said here about it. Many have tested and used it in 0.21...it works fine.

Hey everyone, I'm running 2.02 and I have a bug with the winch. I see the GUI menu, though the controls do nothing! I have tried binding them to action buttons, yes still they do nothing! I cannot use either winches, the only thing I can do is knock the tip off using EVA. The 1,2,3... buttons do not work, and none of the buttons work manually either.

Here is a list of my mods if anyone can tell me a compatibility problem!!

B9_Aerospace

BobCatind

CleverWalrus

CrewManifest

DeadlyReentry

DRobotics

ExsurgentEngineering

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FASA_Asteroids

FerramAerospaceResearch

FireSpitter

Girder Pack 1.1

JARFR_CRSS

Kas

Keramzit

Kerbaltek

Kethane

KineTechAnimation

KWRocketry

MagicSmokeIndustries

MechJeb2

ModularFuelTanks

ModuelManagerSourcesxx

nothke_DROMOMAN

PartCatalog

ProceduralDynamics

ResGen

Romfarer

Squad

StockImprovementProject

subassemblyloader

Thanks guys!!

If your problem did not get resolved, it MAY be the b9 pac. A few people said that one of the associated plugins was causing a problem. This is not a definite answer though. Im sure bac will be updating very soon, he is probably tired after the work in the new update. I would Agree about the KW pac. Nova is pretty fired up right now and updating,changing, and keeping up with reviews. I read that KW will no longer update. Im in the very long and tedious process of changing all the KW to Nova on my crafts. This is only my opinion.

Edited by viperwolf

I now have a problem with KAS in 0.21.1 that I didn't have in 0.20. What happens now is that when I have the winch on rover and connect it in docked mode to another vehicle so I and transfer resources, the rover with the winch on it suddenly rolls 45^ towards the other vehicle. It's like the tension in the cable is trying to roll it over. However, releasing the cable, extending the cable, and everything else to get slack in it has no effect; the rover remains at a 45^ angle up on 2 wheels.

The worst part, however, is that this 45^ angle for the rover is permanent. It's still there when the cable's unplugged and fully retracted, defying gravity. The rover can go forwards or backwards but cannot turn at all. And so it remains until the winch is broken off the rover. Then the rover falls back onto its wheels and behaves normally, except of course now it has no winch. So basically, right now fuel tanker rovers are 1-shot things, able to fill 1 other vehicle but being effectively destroyed in the process. Bummer.

Can't be sure this is a KAS problem, though. I've got quite a few other mods and it might be one of them is farkling KAS. However, almost all the mods I have in 0.21.1 are the same as in 0.20 so I dunno.

~snip~

Can't be sure this is a KAS problem, though. I've got quite a few other mods and it might be one of them is farkling KAS. However, almost all the mods I have in 0.21.1 are the same as in 0.20 so I dunno.

This is actually something that came up a couple times in 0.20, though not as severe as this I think.

There is a kind of work around, but its not 100%. When you first connect the plug set it to 'undocked', then MOVE the rover to get some slack in the cable. Now open the winch gui and change the connection to 'docked'. Like I said, this will not work 100% of the time. This also works for space docking that suffers from the same issues. Got to remember that using KAs in docked mode is like docking via a port, so sometimes it does funny things to CoM. This is more true if on the ground, as the multiple points touching terrain seems to heighten the rate this glitch occurs.

I too am experiencing phantom forces in .21 with KAS. Was bringing an electromagnet tug to my space station to pull a module out of orbit for decommissioning. Jeb grabs the magnet, and starts EVA'ing it across to the station, only about 100m away. Suddenly, around 50m from the station, Jeb starts tumbling, the tug is spinning wildly, and I cannot control either Jeb or the tug. I have Jeb drop the magnet to try to save him, and the tug falls apart. I timewarp briefly to stop Jeb's spinning, yet he still refuses to grab the controls. Closing and re-opening KSP fixed Jeb's controls, but the tug was a total loss.

Millitron: the default cable length is 50m. Those aren't phantom forces, you hit the end of the cable.

However, the other problems could be anything, and I've seen plenty of weirds stuff with KAS, even in 0.19.1, so this is not necessarily a 0.21 related issue.

This is actually something that came up a couple times in 0.20, though not as severe as this I think.

There is a kind of work around, but its not 100%. When you first connect the plug set it to 'undocked', then MOVE the rover to get some slack in the cable. Now open the winch gui and change the connection to 'docked'. Like I said, this will not work 100% of the time. This also works for space docking that suffers from the same issues. Got to remember that using KAs in docked mode is like docking via a port, so sometimes it does funny things to CoM. This is more true if on the ground, as the multiple points touching terrain seems to heighten the rate this glitch occurs.

Thanks for that tip. It actually worked. Then, I went and did it the usual way without all the workaround steps and that worked, too, for the 1st time in 0.21. No permanent tipping of the winch vehicle. Yay!

Well, that's food for thought. Guess I'll have to add KAS to the list of things I need to hit F5 on before attempting. It's kinda worrisome, though. KAS is one of those things you can design huge, complex missions around, so if it doesn't work reliably, the whole mission fails.

http://imgur.com/mUTplHm

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Only thing I get when I right click on the winch is Connector: Unplug and all that does is break the thing as the connector falls out of the winch. This happens with whatever setup I use.

Looks like you have the Connector in the winch backwards. The "tail" end needs to go inside the winch.

is it not possibel to enable fueltransfer in undocked mode? that will terminate the problem for bases

No, you have to be in docked mode to transfer resources.

The problem that is seen is not so much an issue with KAS. I think it comes from how KSP recalculates Com, CoL, and CoT when 2 ships/components are connected into one via docking. I thinks its always been there, but recent updates to KSP has just made it occure at higher rates than past versions.

Just tossing my post in about some phantom/ kraken stuff going on.

KAS was the first add-on I ever get when I started playing. I include a winch kit on just about everything I ever build, and if it doesn't have a winch, it's got at least one connector.

I'm not sure what's going on with it lately (assuming .21.1 gremlins), but I sure hope this one keeps getting updates. If there were a petition for mods that should be made stock, I would sign for KAS!

I now have a problem with KAS in 0.21.1 that I didn't have in 0.20. What happens now is that when I have the winch on rover and connect it in docked mode to another vehicle so I and transfer resources, the rover with the winch on it suddenly rolls 45^ towards the other vehicle. It's like the tension in the cable is trying to roll it over. However, releasing the cable, extending the cable, and everything else to get slack in it has no effect; the rover remains at a 45^ angle up on 2 wheels.

The worst part, however, is that this 45^ angle for the rover is permanent. It's still there when the cable's unplugged and fully retracted, defying gravity. The rover can go forwards or backwards but cannot turn at all. And so it remains until the winch is broken off the rover. Then the rover falls back onto its wheels and behaves normally, except of course now it has no winch. So basically, right now fuel tanker rovers are 1-shot things, able to fill 1 other vehicle but being effectively destroyed in the process. Bummer.

Can you tell me if the problem can be reproduced with a particular vessel configuration or of it happen randomly with the same vessel ?

Can you provide me your save or the craft files of the two rovers ?

is it not possibel to enable fueltransfer in undocked mode? that will terminate the problem for bases

Docked mode is mandatory because it's the only way to enable stock ressource transfer menu between ships. (I really want to avoid to create a custom module for this)

Edited by KospY

why does the game keep saying that the sound files and cable texture are missing but when i check the KSP_win it is still there

The mod seem to not be installed correctly, KAS directory must be in Gamedata folder

KospY: I really like docked mode, probably for something unexpected: it allows me to control multiple vehicles at once (as such). I used two KAS equipped cranes (and eventually a third, but I didn't dock it) to get a large spherical kethane tank docked onto a set of ground-based truss-work. I used one crane to lower the tank and the other to pull it towards the docking port. Having both cranes docked together let me control both winches from the one menu :).

But then, I abuse MechJeb's docking autopilot to let me run multiple tugs at once and thus speed up my orbital construction operations.