[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

I'm having a similiar issue, trying to dock 2 ships in munar orbit with a magnet, I go eva & take magnet (& connector with it) but after about 5 seconds the connector breaks off & is dropped 5km behind the ships, also trying without connector, the magnet stays yellow, cant connect.

Restarted game several times, doesnt work. Difference between ships is 30m, not changing, not rotating.

Attachment issues were there in 0.20.2, and possibly even 0.19.1. Apparently the workaround is to pop out to the space center and back to the EVA kerbal.

i never had issues in 0.20 or 0.19, just 0.21. what has caused the plugin compatibility issue?

If I wanted to build connector port functionality into a part how hard would it be?

I'd like to second this question. I don't know about the others, but it happens a lot to me that i missed an opportunity to connect something to a craft and discover that too late. It happens mostly with spacestations and docking ports, so it would be very helpful if it would be possible to attach dockingports via a special connector to the spacestation after launch.

I'd like to second this question. I don't know about the others, but it happens a lot to me that i missed an opportunity to connect something to a craft and discover that too late. It happens mostly with spacestations and docking ports, so it would be very helpful if it would be possible to attach dockingports via a special connector to the spacestation after launch.

There's already a dismountable radial connector port included by default.

No I meant like actually make a new connector port piece. I am making some sub parts and want to add a connector port on the conning tower so you can pick it up. Is it a cfg thing or does it require a game object in unity or what?

To make anything grab/attach ready you just need to add the grab/attach modules to config. For the actual cable connection Im not sure, its more than just config info. Not sure if its EGO set as transform, or if its a tag/layer type setup. If i had to guess id say EGO is best place to start trying.

Has the connecting issues been resolved as jumping backward and forwards from the spacecentre is getting old quick having magnet issues and radial port connector issues as well magnet stays yellow and radial port connector no green attachment port unless i co to the spacecentre

I just had the "45 degree" thing happen to me. I was using the HOME mod and KAS to run "power lines" from my reactor to the rest of the "buildings" for my Minmus base. But after I used a kerbal to attach the cables, the buildings started doing odd things like flipping to a 45 degree angle, (One habitat module exploded). Not sure what to do.

I just had the "45 degree" thing happen to me. I was using the HOME mod and KAS to run "power lines" from my reactor to the rest of the "buildings" for my Minmus base. But after I used a kerbal to attach the cables, the buildings started doing odd things like flipping to a 45 degree angle, (One habitat module exploded). Not sure what to do.

Did you try making the connections as 'undocked' first, and then using GUI to change over to docked. This is not a 100% workaround, but it does help alot. Your going to see things like this happen a bit more often when using KAS in the manner you have described. I think it has to do with the multiple point touching ground on a single ship, it messes up the recalculation of CoM.

Try making all connections undocked at first, it really cuts down on the fequency this happens....but good rule of thumb is to F5 before ya do any KAS connections of any type.

Did you try making the connections as 'undocked' first, and then using GUI to change over to docked. This is not a 100% workaround, but it does help alot. Your going to see things like this happen a bit more often when using KAS in the manner you have described. I think it has to do with the multiple point touching ground on a single ship, it messes up the recalculation of CoM.

Do you, or anybody else, know if there is a solid workaround or fix for the physics glitching? It is incredibly annoying. I found the connect undocked tricked the other night and managed to complete one structure but the next one I'm working on isn't taking. I even tried attaching a grappling hook to the ground using a winch on the opposite side. Very frustrating.

E: I just got a message about the docking ports not being aligned. Maybe it has something to do with the connection node facing? I have the stack winches vertical connecting to a horizontal port.

Edited by regex

No, I do not know of any surefire 100% work around. I DO know however that this is not a new issue with KAS. I saw this happen as soon as the port/plug update was released, though it was very rare. It seems to me that recent updates to KSP have made this issue happen more often.

And even the pluggin undocked and changing later work maybe 70% of the time.

Really the best advice I can give so this is not mission breaking is F5 F5 F5...its your friend =P

Really the best advice I can give so this is not mission breaking is F5 F5 F5...its your friend =P

Yeah, I learned that early, much as I hate quicksaving...

So I just landed a redesign of what I was trying earlier and I think I found another workaround. Earlier I had received an error about the docking ports not being aligned; this design originally had the stack winches with their build connector nodes (the green spheres in the VAB) at a 90 degree angle to the connector port on the mining rig. On the redesign I used radial winches at a 0 degree angle to the connector port and was immediately able to plug in docked (I quicksaved first, obviously). Anyway, hope this is helpful:

dmF8vzL.jpg

Hi all. I'm having some difficulty with this mod and I'm hoping somebody can address it. I've equipped Jebediah with a detachable node, and tried to place it on my Munar habitat, but when I click attach (or press the H key) I get the message saying attachment pointer has been enabled, but the node doesn't do anything and stays on my Kerbal's back. Am I doing something wrong here? Or is this a known bug?

Hi all. I'm having some difficulty with this mod and I'm hoping somebody can address it. I've equipped Jebediah with a detachable node, and tried to place it on my Munar habitat, but when I click attach (or press the H key) I get the message saying attachment pointer has been enabled, but the node doesn't do anything and stays on my Kerbal's back. Am I doing something wrong here? Or is this a known bug?

Move your mouse to the hab and you should see a green connector; clicking will place the actual connector where the green one is. You may also need to move closer to the hab model.

Distance isn't the problem. I'm practically rubbing my nose against it. And my problem is that there *is* no green connector. I have nothing to place even though it tells me I can place it.

EDIT: it's probably a corrupted file or something, but does anybody know which file I should replace, or should I replace all of them?

EDIT EDIT: Replacing everything fixed the problem. Must have been a botched download somehow.

Edited by tntristan12

Is the current version of this mod, compatible with the current version of KSP? Because I can't seem to get it to work... Though this is the first time I've tried installing a mod, and I assume it's me just doing something wrong, but just checking.

It mostly works, yes. Some are having issues with grabbing/releasing the line, but apart from some glitches (which can apparently be avoided by saving and reloading). Are you sure you installed it correctly? You didn't exactly specify what the problem was, except that it "doesn't work"...

Well the problem I'm having is I can't get it installed in the first place, so I havn't actually used anything in it. I've looked over the forums, and a few guides on how to do it, but i just can't figure it out... I'm not the most tech-savy person in the world, so all of this /parts/ directory, nero-scrambler, photon mumbo jumbo just goes over my head...

I just really need to know exactly what KAS file I grab, and exactly where I put it.