[0.21.1] KAS v0.4.3 - Struts, pipes, part storage, containers, merged winches & more

KospY

KospY, will the next version of KAS be backwards compatible with saves using v0.3.1?

Yes.

However, I think the v0.5 or v0.6 will not be compatible with older winches, as it will add the new "connector integrated" winch.

I also think that I will remove the dedicated detachable connector port, and make the standard one grabbable instead. However, I want to make the attaching system dependent of something, but I'm not sure of the exact form of it (ressources, parts, tools ?)

However, I want to make the attaching system dependent of something, but I'm not sure of the exact form of it (ressources, parts, tools ?)

I use module manager to add the grab/attach modules to everything under 1 ton (should be manageable in space with a jetpack!). Maybe there's a way to simulate the extra effort of moving stuff around by consuming EVA fuel while the part is grabbed?

You could add a resource to every manned pod but at that point it become a question of whether it's just adding unnecessary 'assumed' parts (like we assume the Kerbals are consuming the food and snacks in their pods).

What I'd really like to see to improve Kerbal-powered-construction is the ability to grab an object and have it act as a 'root' for its child parts; i.e. if I have a steel beam with 3 'docking struts' on it, it would be nice if grabbing the steel beam took the struts too.

I use module manager to add the grab/attach modules to everything under 1 ton (should be manageable in space with a jetpack!). Maybe there's a way to simulate the extra effort of moving stuff around by consuming EVA fuel while the part is grabbed?.

In the first version of my grab module, the part was only "docked" with the eva and the physic joint was leaved as this. It's nice because the physics work and I must say this it's pretty difficult to move an heavy part.

Unfortunatly, the eva RCS get mad with a part physically attached, at some point, the kerbal start spinning and you completly lost control.

To fix this, I dock the part, remove the physic joint, and constantly update the position of the grabbed part related to the eva. It's a shame, but it's the only way I found to make the eva possible in space.

What I'd really like to see to improve Kerbal-powered-construction is the ability to grab an object and have it act as a 'root' for its child parts; i.e. if I have a steel beam with 3 'docking struts' on it, it would be nice if grabbing the steel beam took the struts too.

I thought about this too. It's possible, but that need lot of work, and I need to put some limitation to that (total mass ? dimension ?).

you need to connect (undocked cable connect) and then switch it to Docked

This does not alleviate the problem, It only diguises it. Next time you try to move the craft it's attitude will be locked. Only reloading fixes it.

As of now everybody (?) is building stations and big ships by using docking ports - doesnt really feel like building and raises the part count for more extravagant designs.

Could this mod or its modules be used/extended to permanently attach e.g. the drive section to the crew module of a bigger ship?

Yes.

However, I think the v0.5 or v0.6 will not be compatible with older winches, as it will add the new "connector integrated" winch.

I also think that I will remove the dedicated detachable connector port, and make the standard one grabbable instead. However, I want to make the attaching system dependent of something, but I'm not sure of the exact form of it (ressources, parts, tools ?)

In fact I was wrong, even v0.4 will not be compatible... I modified things in the attach module and the save game will surely not working correctly. As I'm not 100% sure about that so I prefer to say that it will not be compatible. Now I think that will be nice if I can finish to implement the new winch, to avoid breaking save again in V0.5... But that will push the release date of v0.4. Not sure everyone will agree.

Edited by KospY

Also, I wonder if people are interested by a pre-release "prototype" version of v0.4, to better track major issues before an official release ?

To be honest I would like to do some testing and take a break from my Infernal Robotics work.

To be honest I would like to do some testing and take a break from my Infernal Robotics work.
What? Not allowed....oh, ok.....Sirkut's allowed to actually have fun playing KSP. I'd actually like to see some of your builds.

Assuming the winches and connectors stop working, we can just remove the module from the current parts and expect the parts to still load, right? My satellites have a port on them 'just in case', I'd hate to lose them all.

Can a KAS link transfer electrical power between ships?

A docked connection via a connector port, yes, because it's just like any other docking, as far as that goes anyway.

Hello!

At first; thanks for the great mod! I do have one question (must be doing something wrong...). I'm trying to build a kethane station at Ike. This is happening if I connect a cable:

*Snip*

Had the same issue on Minmus:

*Snip*

I was lucky that everything could still work after it went down... Sorry if it is already in this thread, did read around 20 pages :).

Try making sure the winch is in 'release' mode before connecting the cable. It automatically goes into a pseudo-release mode when a Kerbal grabs the cable, but you can retract or extend it a bit, then hit release manually, and I *think* it'll stay in release mode after being attached. Should prevent it pulling things over, I would think.

Mercury mk1 orbiting Kerbin for some "in space" tests of the new features of KAS v0.4. So far things are running fine :)

RHKxNV9.jpg

(This is only a partial view of one of the first new feature, there is more to come ;) )

Big thanks to zzz for providing me the customized KAS models !

Edited by KospY

Mercury mk1 orbiting Kerbin for some "in space" tests of the new features of KAS v0.4. So far things are running fine :)

RHKxNV9.jpg

(This is only a partial view of one of the first new feature, there is more to come ;) )

Big thanks to zzz for providing me the customized KAS models !

...Wut. *Head explodes*