[1.0.2] TAC Self Destruct v1.5.1 [13May]

TaranisElsu

From Thunder Aerospace Corporation: the X-1100 Self Destruct unit.

Because KSP needs more reliably planned explosions!

The latest release is version 1.5.1 which works with KSP 1.0.2. Download below.

Having problems with this mod (or any others)?

Read the [Official] How To Get Support. I cannot do much to help without log files.

Features

• Self Destruct – makes the entire vessel explode! Make sure you EVA your crew first! Waits 5 seconds and goes through a countdown sequence before activating.
  • Explode – only makes the Self Destruct part explode. Useful for creating a little explosion or getting rid of the extra weight. Not responsible for damage to the vessel.
  • Abort Self Destruct -- stops the self destruct sequence, preventing the vessel from being destroyed. But where is the fun in that?
  • Can be activated from EVA.
  • Integrated with KAS so you can attach, detach, move, and store the part.
  • Can add to the staging list and activate by staging.
  • The Time Delay and whether to allow staging are both now changeable in the game, even during flight!
  • The countdown is now togglable and is hidden when the game UI is hidden.

Pictures

SelfDestruct.png

Download

Available on Kerbal Space Program's Curse website. (Alternate download)

Source code available on GitHub.

Change log

Release v1.5.1

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2
  • Updated MiniAVC to v1.0.3.0

Release v1.4

• Updated for KSP 0.25
  • Bug fix: the right-click menu was not always updating correctly
  • Display of the countdown is now togglable.
  • The countdown is now hidden when the UI is hidden (F2)
  • Reorganized the directory structure so that it is no longer placed in ThunderAerospace.
  • Added support for the KSP Add-on Version Checker (KSP-AVC) and the KSP-AVC plug-in

Warning: make sure that you completely uninstall any previous versions. I moved everything from KSP/GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacSelfDestruct to just KSP/GameData/TacSelfDestruct

Release v1.3.1

- See announcement: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25830?p=863149&viewfull=1#post863149

Release v1.3

- See announcement: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25830?p=855818&viewfull=1#post855818

Release v1.2

- See announcement: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25830?p=840420&viewfull=1#post840420

Release V1.1

- Updated the texture with the new product number.

- Added the ability to activate it from EVA

- Added a delay with countdown timer.

Release V1.0.1

- changed the project settings to target .NET 3.5

Release V1.0

- fully functional, and tested with 0.19.1

- includes a shiny 3D model

License:

CC BY-NC-SA 3.0

Notice

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by TaranisElsu
Released v1.5.1 for KSP 1.0.2

From reading the first post, I think it can do two types of explosion, one of them explodes every part of the thing it is attached to (the entire ship/craft/station/probe/whatever), and the other type explodes just the self destruct charge itself.

This seems like a good way to get rid of spent stages while only adding 4 parts (at most) to the stage itself!

All you need to do is attach one of those tiny cubic strut parts to the side of the stage, then mount a probe core, RTG, and one of these self-destruct devices to the cubic strut. I chose to use an RTG because I optimized my design for "least possible part count". However, a solar panel type power supply for the probe core would probably work just as well, after all it's only one probe core, and they don't exactly go thru power that fast.

Let's say you have a small probe with this thing attached and dock it to a space station, then self destruct, will the station explode?

Yes, the station will explode. It self destructs the entire active vessel, which includes everything docked.

Lol,isn't name "TAC" reference to Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead? There has been a pretty good nuclear weapon there.

I'm not sure about the reference. In this context, TAC stands for Thunder Aerospace Corporation -- my company name. "Creating those satisfying booms" (only sometimes from unplanned explosions.)

Fantastic! This is something every rocket should have :) When you blow the part itself, will any other part that it is attached to blow up?

It shouldn't, but no guarantees.

Nice, I remember we had something like this for 0.14... it was named 'Oi3_TNTPack_v0.3.1'.

Would it be possible to add a countdown timer just like that plugin? So you can set a delay in the config and for example activate it before you decouple a empty stage.

Yes, a countdown timer would be ideal for using it to eliminate discarded stages.

Could you set up a version that's triggerable in the staging sequence? Using the destroy whole vessel mode.

I'd be the end of interplanetary debris if you did!

Alternatively, it could wait until the part is a certain distance from the active ship, then detonate. But this might be more tricky for you to make, and more taxing on RAM and CPU.

I see plenty of potential uses for this. And it looks suitably dangerous too! Nice job.

Edited by Tw1

Going to try this. If one can trigger it from eva, I can make it possible to move it by KAS attachment, and I have a way to get rid of all that debris around my mun base. (I usually have to discard a stage there. Those are not from crashes. Mostly.)

I like the idea of delayed destruction. I will need to look into it because right now it only works if it is running on the active vessel.

Going to try this. If one can trigger it from eva, I can make it possible to move it by KAS attachment, and I have a way to get rid of all that debris around my mun base. (I usually have to discard a stage there. Those are not from crashes. Mostly.)

It probably won't work from EVA. I should look into that also :)

attached to a rocket via a Kerbal in EVA....

If you have the kerbal attachment system installed then that's a simple matter of editing the part.cfg - which is what I intended to do for myself in my post above. In fact, it could perhaps be included in the default part.cfg, if it does no harm when KAS is not present.

... Bonus points if you can wire them to control group.

All of my parts come with Actions defined :)

If you have the kerbal attachment system installed then that's a simple matter of editing the part.cfg - which is what I intended to do for myself in my post above. In fact, it could perhaps be included in the default part.cfg, if it does no harm when KAS is not present.

Would you explain a little more? I have played with KAS some, but I do not quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that I could add something from KAS to my part's cfg? Or add my module to a KAS part?

Are you saying that I could add something from KAS to my part's cfg?

By example...

A vehicle for clearing debris - a kerbal gets out, picks your SD device off the hull (putting it on his back), flies over to the debris, attaches it to the debris. He can then, in EVA, activate the thing, perhaps with a timer so he doesn't get THAT good a view of the explosion. (He can also use KAS to tow stuff out of orbit, give it just a bit of fuel if that's all it needs, etc.)

Specifically, look at the radial connector port that you can take off the ship and put elsewhere, KAS_CPort3 title = Radial connector port (dismountable)

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleEvaGrab //This module will add the possibility to grab and attach parts from Eva. If the part is not connected to a winch, grab will decouple the part and attaching will merge the part to the target vessel.

grabKey = g // Key used for grabbing a part

grabMaxDistance = 2 // Max distance for grabbing a part

grabBreakForce = 3 // The force that needs to be applied on the grab joint to break. (Not used, as eva don't react correctly to a physic joint)

grabbedPartPos = (0.0, 0.06, -0.3) // Position of the grabbed part on eva

grabbedPartRot = (280.0, 0.0, 0.0) // Rotation of the grabbed part on eva

bayNode = top // Name of attach node used to align the part in a part bay.

attachKey = h

attachMaxDistance = 2 // Max distance for attaching a part

attachOnPart = True // Disable/enable attaching a part to another part

attachOnEva = False // Disable/enable attaching a part to eva

attachOnStatic = False // Disable/enable attaching a part to a static object like ground or building.

attachUsingSendMsg = False // Delegate the attachment system to another module on attach. (in this case the hook module) If set to false, the attachment will be handled by the EvaGrab module.

attachedPartRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0) // Rotation of the attached part

}

I've put those on other non-kas parts with luck in the first version of KAS. Haven't really tried it in the later versions. Going to try with a static solar panel soon.

any chance of having the self destruct to be more realistic? Like say I have a space station with multiple Self Destruct packages onboard ( As it would be in RL) just for that time when it becomes useless and I can't spare a ship to dock and deorbit it. A rather large station, lets say. Its somewhat a cheat to have a single device make the whole thing go "Boom" IMO. Multiple SD devices would be more realistic.

This is absolutely essential for my abort needs. :D Thanks!

any chance of having the self destruct to be more realistic? Like say I have a space station with multiple Self Destruct packages onboard ( As it would be in RL) just for that time when it becomes useless and I can't spare a ship to dock and deorbit it. A rather large station, lets say. Its somewhat a cheat to have a single device make the whole thing go "Boom" IMO. Multiple SD devices would be more realistic.

So you want MORE parts on an already part heavy construction. Better yet parts that are only useful once? It may be somewhat unrealistic but I'd rather keep the part count down and be able to play without lag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.