How to measure distance between Mun and my satellite

Hi! My question is about how to know the distance between my satellite and Mun.

I need to expand my network and i want to add 2 satellites at the same distance from Mun without entry in the sphere of influence.

So...

How i make to measure this distance?

Quick answer to your question: I don't know how to get that, without being in the Mun's SoI.

Long answer: So do you want these 2 satellites to orbit Kerbin at the same altitude as the Mun? Otherwise, it seems the distance would change over time. If this is the case, I would guess you could calculate the Mun's longitude (over Kerbin) as a function of time, then find the appropriate longitudes to burn to send your satellites out to wherever you want them to wind up.

Well, the Mun's orbit is a perfectly circular 12,000,000 meters, according to the wiki. If you subtract that from your current Kerbin-centric orbit, you should get the distance to the Mun's orbit.

Dunno about getting the actual position to the Mun, but since speed and altitude are fundamentally linked, you should be able to use that as a reference to some degree without being in the Mun's SoI.

Thanks for the responses :) I need to make this because im creating a communications network and i want to cover all the Mun.

This is a photo from my "test savegame" showing the place that i have to put my satellites, the blue orbit shows the maximun orbit before leave the Sphere of Influence.

esquemasatelites.jpg

Edited by Cuerdas

You can set Mun as target then the distance would show up when you mouse over it.

The showed distance is between Kerbin and Mun not from the vessel ;)

And about to use lazor... actually im using docking camera, missiles and cams. There are some modules in lazor that i dont need who is the module to measure distances?

And about to use lazor... actually im using docking camera, missiles and cams. There are some modules in lazor that i dont need who is the module to measure distances?

I don't think it is a module but part of the core system. I just turn on the Lazor (in the sidebar) and after that I select a target. Now, when you select the target cam (from the sidebar menu inside the activated side menu :confused: ), no matter how far away, it shows you lots of info like the target periapses, apoapsis, distance, relative velocity, inclination etc.

I don't think it is a module but part of the core system. I just turn on the Lazor (in the sidebar) and after that I select a target. Now, when you select the target cam (from the sidebar menu inside the activated side menu :confused: ), no matter how far away, it shows you lots of info like the target periapses, apoapsis, distance, relative velocity, inclination etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.