[WIP] KDA Interstellar Vehicle (ISV) "Venture Star"

Is it big enough yet?

Don't want to make anyone to die from panic attack, but it's still not "big enough".

Let me show why.

According to this official diagram, the whole length of "ISV Venture Star" is exactly 1530 meters:

Isv_Diagram.jpg

And you see - i made some approximate calculations of radiator section alone (without engine) - and its about 289 meters (+- 5 meters due to angle of measurement).

But you can say - "Bull****! This is kerbals, they are much smaller than humans, so screw this!" And you will be right.

But if you want to make it as real as it can be for kerbals in kerbalworld, with same proportions as for humans in real world (aka "full-scale experience and fun"), then you will need to take a resize coefficient into account, which is about "0.64" (according to my old calculations - you can find them in my thread, or website, or whatever).

So, what is this mean? Very simple - thats means that we just need to get that 289 meters and see how long they gonna be for kerbals. So 289x0.64 = 184,96 meters.

Ok, now we have our goal - the approximate length of radiator section.

lets see how it is right now in game, according to picture:

2_XUJNha.jpg

As you can see - it is Mk1-2 Command Pod there, which officially has 2.5 meter in it's widest part. So we have something to reference at.

And as you can see from that picture - i made some very inaccurate calculations (because of perspective and such, but its only for showcase, so its ok, since author of mod can make them much better in actual 3d soft).

But anyway - i've got only 50 meters which is only about 2/7 of 184 meters, that must be.

So, its need to be a 3,7 times bigger. Just saying ^_^

Wow! Thank you for this very comprehensive response! While I do think accuracy in reproduction is important (I mean look at how much polys I've shoved into this thing!) This would mean just one part would never fit into the current VAB, much less be able to launch this monolith into orbit (or with some help from hyperedit :D) I WIll take these into consideration though and I thank you for this, also the engine mesh and textures have been redone to look less lame.

Fuel sphere is done!

rHZjygy.png

At glorious master 15000 polygon resolution! All for the sake of authenticity, of course :P

Thanks, I'm thinking of creating HD and SD versions of the parts as far as polygons are concerned. I'm also having issues keeping the whole design aspect modular though, Resisting the urge to just glom everything together.

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since the last reply, but as a HUGE fan of Avatar I just have to ask u, m2x512, if ur still on it or if it's finished. I'd love to see some pics of the finished craft.

Also, I'd like to mention that I'm currently trying to build a crude model of it myself, but in kerbal-scale FULL SIZE. Since I haven't installed any mods yet it's only gonna be a pretty sketchy replica without any fitting textures, probably consisting of thousands of parts. The rear-end mirror (consisting of different types of wing parts) is about a 100 meters wide. I've decided to divide the whole ship into 3 sections that I'm gonna send to orbit separately and dock them in space.

But instead of such a sketchy piece of junk I'd love to have a kerbal-life-sized, absolutely accurate model so I MUST ask u to finish it (Coz I honestly SUCK at 3D-modeling). And it would be great to have it as a single solid part that doesn't wobble around a lot as that would of course reduce the necessary PC specs alot. To get it into space I'd just do the same as on the pieces of my own model, turn off gravity and drag, get them up into space and then turn gravity and drag back on to get them to orbit kerbin. The major problem with that is that as soon as gravity is turned off to launch the next piece the previous ones would leave their orbit and drift off into space, forcing me to re-orbit them afterwards so I can dock them.

Once the whole thing is in space the rest should be possible without cheating as the Valkyries would be able to transport anything to the ISV and back.

This thread is nearly 3 years old, and very unlikely to be updated. We can re-open it if the OP contacts us, but in the mean time, we'll let it go gentle into that good night.