Hawkinator's almost-multiplayer pass along the save file challenge thingy.

The idea here is simple-ish:

There will be an official save file. Each user will perform in this save file the challenge posted by the previous user, then create a new challenge.

Example:

User-A completes the challenge posted by User-Z, which involved returning a ship to Kerbin and ending the mission. User-A Creates a new ship, which is designed to land on the Mun, and challenges the next user to get the ship into orbit. User-B gets the ship into a 100 km. orbit and challenges the next user to transfer the ship to the Mun. User-C transfers the ship to a 75 km. Mun orbit and challenges the next user to land it. User-D does so, has the kerbals walk around for a bit, and then challenges the next user to get the ship back into orbit. User-E takes off and gets the ship into a 60 km. orbit, but the fuel is now almost completely depleted, so he build a rescue mission and challenges the next user to fly it into orbit. Etc, etc....

Some basic rules:

The challenges should be small steps, not "launch this fly it here and land it and go back to kerbin". Each challenge should be one step of the mission, not the whole thing.

Challenges should be fun. For example, driving a rover to the North pole and back is not fun, it's just a lot of boring, repetitive driving.

Probably the most important, challenges should be possible. For example, landing something on Minmus with just enough fuel to get it back to Kerbin and challenging the next user to fly it to Eeloo is just plain stupid.

The challenges should always start with a vessel that is already in the persistence file, you can start the challenge by launching a vessel and leaving it on the launchpad, but there should always be a vessel ready and waiting for the next user.

If four users dislike a challenge and agree that it violates the rules as stated above, then the challenge is revoked and the game reverts to the previous challenge and save file.

Always post a download link to your version of the save file in your post every time you complete a challenge.

All stock please, not because I hate mods, but because introducing mods into this sort of thing would quickly make it a nightmare to keep track of.

You are encouraged to try out your challenge before posting it, just to make sure it is possible. Just make sure you quicksave at the point where your challenge begins. The idea is that you should makes sure it's possible, then challenge the next guy to do it.

Official flights may only end on Kerbins surface, and all kerbals not assigned to permanent bases or stations must be returned to kerbin. This means that if the kerbals get stranded in space, then someone is going to have to rescue them.

(Amendment 1) Before starting a challenge, make sure to post your intent to take on the latest challenge, like this:

I have the save file, please wait until I finish it, link will be below..

Then, when you have finished the challenge, you can edit your post with a link to the new save file. This will help keep the ninja'ing down.

(Amendment 2) The plugin Kerbal Alarm Clock is recommended, due to the high number of transfer trajectories currently going on. It is not, however, required, and since it does not involve any parts, users who do not have it will still be able to access and use the save file.

How to share your alarms with the save file:

- In /KSP_win(or whatever this is called on mac and linux)/PluginData/KerbalAlarmClock/ there should be a file named "Alarms-Hampatsfct (Sandbox).txt". This is the file that stores the alarms you've created, simply include it with your save file upload.

Once again, Kerbal Alarm Clock is officially supported for this thread, but it is by no means required to participate. However, if you are not using it, please take care to ensure that no spacecraft miss any important windows, as it would be a bit disheartening if a probe that a lot of people put time and effort into ended up becoming a piece of space rubble because it missed a capture window, for example.

I will start with this vehicle, which I am certain is capable of getting into orbit:

2MGy1Da.jpg

This is the persistence file.

Have Fun!! :)

Edited by hawkinator
Amendment 2 added concerning KAC plugin

Mun orbit is stabilised. However we have a fuel issue. One of the tanks was already fully drained when I opened the save. I'm pretty sure we can't land and we need to refuel.

My challenge is to get the newly built Refueling Craft Mk. 1 into an orbit prior to Mun transfer. (I hope someone knows how to dock.)

I haven't fully tested the rocket but I am 95% it can get to the Mun with spare fuel.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz9tSxHBxqdjOGw5a2pjalpBMnc/edit?usp=sharing

SOeU9zU.jpg?1?6062

I would post my files to complete the above challenge but I don't know how to add or edit your share :(

But, still, challenge complete! I challenge the next person to take the refueling craft to the Mun and make a orbit around the Mun. Do NOT rendezvous or dock yet.

QXui2cC.png

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2h2jiu

Edited by bulletrhli

My specialty! I have docked the two ships together very carefully. Now, the next persons task is to land by the Neil Armstrong monument! Hint, its on the south part of a large dark crater in the northern hemisphere. The monument is basically on the equator. Also, you have to deorbit the refueling stage and let it crash into the Mun's surface. From data that was collected, something vital broke and it needs to be disposed of.

Pe7kW7d.png

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lr2ek3

Edited by bulletrhli

Just here to point out that it'd be possible to crash the refuel ship and save the kerbal. Just set the craft barely on a collision course with the mun and have Jeb perform a burn to orbit with his eva pack. Problem solved.

Just here to point out that it'd be possible to crash the refuel ship and save the kerbal. Just set the craft barely on a collision course with the mun and have Jeb perform a burn to orbit with his eva pack. Problem solved.
Single kerbanaut orbiting Mun without any ship to get back to meets my definition of "stranded".

Single kerbanaut orbiting Mun without any ship to get back to meets my definition of "stranded".

He can use the EVA pack to get back to the original ship, it has two seats in the lander. However, we will have to rendevous with another ship in LKO, since the Lander can't make a landing on Kerbin.

I landed the lander near the monument. It isn't directly on top of it, but it's well within jetpack distance. My computer is having issues with screenshots for some reason, so I don't have any. Also, the refueling craft has no fuel, so I didn't deorbit it. That would make this part of the challenge two parts, anyway. Finally, the next challenge is to launch another refueling craft and get it into orbit around Kerbin. You can build a new one or use the previous one.

Oh, by the way, the lander stage doesn't detach correctly.

Download:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Om0LABcfxYS2xrYVctUHRZLTA&usp=sharing (Not sure if that will work. If it doesn't, can someone please tell me how to get it to work?)

Edited by ZingidyZongxxx

here is the ship in orbit. It has plenty of fuel to get to a Munar injection and 3 fuel tanks for refueling the refueler and rendezvous. Sorry for the lack of screenshots but I don' t know how to get it to show without a link. http://www./?18wm88a5buf8ha2 I challenge the next person to get a Munar Injection, Orbit, and to align the orbital plane to set up for rendezvous. DON'T RENDEZVOUS YET just align the orbital plane.

ok i'm game, the ship is in Munar orbit and matched the planes as best as possible (0.3 degrees difference) i have drained the fuel from the last stage to the upper stage and the ship is unbalanced, you'll have to rebalance the ship at the 3 outer tanks, dock with the other ship and refuel it.

8sD7lKH.png

http://www./?jf0mfw99omdsdsh

That sounds like a good idea! We put something as a header for each post letting people know you have it. Something like:

[Example] I have the save file, please wait until I finish it, link will be below.

Idk, something XD

Yeah, that's a good idea. You don't mind if I steal that and put it in the OP do you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.