White Owl's KSP Video Series

White Owl

Perhaps I'll call it a slightly more dignified Non-linear Tech Tree. ('Cause a non-linear tree is a bush.)

I have the basic initial tree blocked out with stock parts and a gross guesstimate at node costs. There's room left over to plug in various mods. I'm happy so far, but now it's time to play-test it.

edit: Hours later, I am still unable to playtest. Unless I'm missing something, the only option to play through a custom tree is to get r4mon to publish the thing to everybody. Which I don't want to do while it's an early WIP. Urgh.

Edited by White Owl

I'm using my custom tree in game, With TreeEdit loaded I just select my tree and hit load. I still have the "mod" installed though, not sure what would happen if I removed it.

I'm assuming that you should be able to local load private packs?

7rex, thanks for trying to help. :)

But I've thought about it for a day or two and made up my mind. For now, I'm simply done with career mode, modded or not. I have crazy ideas burning in my head about silly things to do with kerbals, so it's back to the sandbox for me. It'll be more fun and should make some more interesting videos.

Personally, i made only one excursion into the career mode and otherwise stuck to the sandbox. The career mode has too many parts that are inexplicably far into the tech tree. It just doesn't make any sense. Take f.i. wheels. How can you have (fuel-)pumps without the discovery of the wheel? And what special kind of science is necessary for ladders?

I did enjoy the career mode video's though.

The Science! series is officially cancelled, and the new Open Cockpit series is begun!

In retrospect, he last couple of career mode series were done mostly out of a sense of obligation, rather than having fun. I thought I was supposed to do career mode because it's the hot new thing and all the cool kids are doing it. But career mode and I are simply not a good fit.

I'm so happy to start this new series, though! Let's Fly KSP: Open Cockpit starts over with my little green dudes trying to get off Kerbin, but with two absurd restrictions to overcome. First, the kerbals are severely claustrophobic so they can't ever enter any enclosed space, like a capsule, cockpit, crew tank, etc. Second, they don't know how to launch vertically, so instead must always take off horizontally from the runway. Two absurd restrictions for the price of one! I very much believe this will be more fun than any of the past few series. :D

And of course, the mod list. This time around I've added Kethane, the Kerbal Attachment System and Infernal Robotics. Later on in the series, after my kerbals get out into the system a little bit, I'm planning on adding KSP Interstellar; just not at the start.

Parts (sometimes with plugins):

Aviation Lights

KSPX

Mk2 Cockpit Internals

Taverio's Pizza and Aerospace

Dummy Weights

Shuttle Parts

Kethane Pack

Kerbal Attachment System (KAS)

KSP Interstellar

Magic Smoke Industries Parts & Infernal Robotics

DROMOMAN Modular Arm Parts

Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights

Plugins (sometimes with parts):

Chatterer

Crew Manifest

Docking Node Controller

Navball Docking Alignment Indicator

Dynamic Warp

Editor Extensions

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Enhanced Navball

Fusebox

Kerbcom Avionics

KerbTown

Grey's Runway for KerbTown

Editor Part Highlighter

Universe Replacer

Mushroomman's Cloud Pack

PreciseNode Interplanetary Maneuver Node Assistant

RotationFreeze

TAC Fuel Balancer

Targetron

Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler

Ferram Aerospace Research

Kerbal Alarm Clock

In-game notes / notepad

Deadly Reentry Continued

Dynamic/Procedural Parts and Plugins:

Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing

Procedural Fairings

StretchyTanks

Stretchy SRB

KerbPaint

Edited by White Owl

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fairly new to the whole modding scene in ksp and I'm having a few issues. I downloaded the shuttle pack and the required files, I can get the Falcon to load up but not the Enterprise it says I'm missing some files (no biggie, I can figure that out) my problem comes when I go to launch the Falcon my game crashes. I'm thinking that its the shuttle parts file I downloaded cause I wasn't exactly sure where to put the file. I dumped the whole thing into my game data file. Anyone know the fix for the problem? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big fan of the ROC Shuttle, and also of the Open Cockpit series.

Question, I'm trying to run Dynamic Warp on my install, so I can intentionally set time to progress at fractional rates (.25x and lower, in addition to 2x, 3x, etc).

My game isn't crashing, but I CANNOT activate anything but the stock time acceleration function. Does anyone know if this is this a .23 problem?

Guest Brody_Peffley
Very Nice :cool:

Why is this out of order? Its infront of something that is actually newer than it... Maybe this guy can time travel..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a link to the playlist for

This series is planned to focus on exploring the Kerbin system, which has been scaled up to 6.4 times the stock game sizes and distances. I'll be using a few select parts mod packs, but will build as much as possible with various procedural parts. I've actually removed the entire stock fuel tanks folder from my install, since procedural fuel tanks make all those parts obsolete. Also, all the stock wing parts are gone, and all the science parts.

It's worth mentioning that this list includes every mod I've ever installed while recording the current series. I have never attempted to install all of them at the same time, and I doubt the game would run very well if you tried. Most of these mods, I take a select few parts/features and uninstall the rest.

These mods fundamentally change the way the game plays, usually for better realism.

Ferram Aerospace Research - The #1 mod I consider so absolutely essential to the game that I would refuse to play KSP without it. FAR adds realistic aerodynamics to the game, so lift and drag actually make sense. Don't frustrate yourself trying to build realistic airplanes in the stock game; it'll make your head hurt.

Deadly Reentry Continued - Adds heat to the reentry effects, so you have to think carefully about deorbiting into an atmosphere without burning up. Also adds some ablative heatshields in common sizes.

Real Solar System - This mod changes the size of all planets and moons, and their orbits. The base mod is intended to closely duplicate the real-life Sol and Earth system, but I'm using a different configuration.

6.4 Kerbin - This config file for RSS is Regex's work to duplicate the stock Kerbin system, with all bodies upscaled by 6.4, since that's how all KSP parts have traditionally been scaled.

Real Fuels - Changes all engines and fuel tanks to use realistic fuels, with realistic TWR and Isp. Probably too much rocket for the stock system, but almost essential for RSS scale journeys.

Stockalike RF Engine Configs - This is the config I'm using for Real Fuels, since the realism overhaul pisses me off too much by rescaling everything.

TAC Life Support - Since I'm going for more realism, this mod just makes sense.

Kethane Pack - I have plans to modify this mod with config file edits. Still just a concept.

Kerbal Attachment System - Kerbals can place and remove parts on EVA. I'm not using the whole winch system, though.

Modular Kolonization System - Gives kerbals something to do on distant worlds.

Here are some regular, non-procedural parts.

AIES Aerospace - I'm using the Real Fuels config for the engines. Fuel tanks and payload fairings are gone as well.

Dummy Weights - Such a simple and immensely useful mod.

KSPX - Mostly for the stockalike engines, and a few other bits.

Octagonal Truss Set - I loves me some trusses. (No longer using, since I decided to go with Goodspeed trusses.)

RealChute Parachute Systems - So much better than the stock parachutes in every way.

FusTek Station Parts Expansion - These parts look better than the original mod they're based on.

FusTek Parts - I like the docking nodes from this pack.

Space Shuttle Engines - These engines are exactly what I've wanted ever since I first picked up the game.

Aviation Lights - Red on the left wingtip, green on the right, and white on the tail.

Wolf Aerospace Perfectrons - The stock separation boosters are so terrible. These are much better.

Goodspeed Aerospace Parts - Picked this up for the hexagonal trusses, and found several other useful parts in the pack.

RLA Stockalike - I'm using only the RCS ports from this pack; they're well designed.

DMagic Orbital Science - Great looking animated science widgets for probes and rovers.

The Bolt-On Mission Probe - Great looking, low profile, simple probe cores.

KW Rocketry - My install doesn't have the RAM for the entire pack, so I'm only using a few engines, an RCS port, and the struts.

Versatile Toolbox System - Better containers for the KAS mod.

DaMichel's Parts - I have plans for the fuselage pieces from here.

Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - Mechanized parts that bend, rotate, extend, etc.

Infernal Robotics Model Rework - Makes the IR parts look better.

Lack Luster Labs SXT - I'm using selected parts from the SXT pack. Most notably airplane cockpits and cargobays.

Near Future Technologies Pack - Lots of great higher technology parts. Again, I'm only using a few selected parts.

These parts change size, shape, mass, volume, lift, etc. in the VAB and SPH.

Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing - The first procedural parts mod, and the only wing parts you'll ever need. Now features procedural control surfaces, so there is literally no longer any use for old-fashioned non-adjustable wing parts.

Procedural Fairings - The fairings change size and shape to fit any payload.

Stretchy SRB - Procedural fuel tanks and SRBs, compatible with Real Fuels. Enormously useful mod for building all kinds of craft. Be aware Stretchy SRB will soon be replaced by the next listed mod... (No longer using this one.)

Procedural Parts - A much cleaner and more user friendly way to adjust your procedural tanks. Remember it's very WIP at this point, but already very usable.

Procedural mod resource storage parts - I use this to hold my TAC life support resources. (No longer using, now that PP comes with TAC support.)

These mods improve the KSP experience in several ways. Look better, more information, more usability...

Action Groups Extended - Makes the action group system 100x more useful. (No longer using, as I didn't like how it replaced the stock actiong group system.)

Ambient Light Adjustment - KSP videomakers everywhere must love this! Finally we can record what happens at night! (And there's a lot of night in this game, yaknowwhatImsayin.)

Blackheart's StretchySRB Texture Pack - Make your rockets pretty.

Chatterer - Space can be too quiet, so this adds radio chatter.

Kerbal Crew Manifest - Edit your kerbals, and move them around without EVA.

Distant Object Enhancement - See distant planets and satellites in the night sky.

Editor Extensions - Enables many useful options in the VAB and SPH. This mod needs to be stock.

Kerbal Engineer Redux with the new deltaV code - Now you know how far your rocket will fly. Also brings useful inflight information. (No longer using, mostly because Mechjeb is more accurate and more useful.)

Enhanced Navball - Adds information to the navball.

Kerbal Alarm Clock - Keep track of what ship is supposed to burn, when.

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - No more wobbly rockets! Some features are now stock in .23.5, but not all.

Editor Part Highlighter - Makes it easier to find parts on your vessel. Simple mod that should be stock.

SelectRoot - Make any part be the root of the whole structure. Warning: don't select radially attached or symmetrical parts, or bad things might happen.

Navball Docking Alignment Indicator - Adds one simple icon to the navball that helps you line up for a perfectly straight dock.

PreciseNode - Fine control over editing maneuver nodes. Fantastic mod.

Mk2 Cockpit Internals - The good ol' Mk2 cockpit has a beautiful new IVA perspective.

TAC Fuel Balancer - Very useful for managing multiple tanks of various fluids.

Active Texture Management - saves RAM on mod-heavy installs. I'm using the Basic version.

Environmental Visual Enhancements - Adds clouds, city lights, and HD textures. I want my game as pretty as the RAM limit will allow.

Alternate Resource Panel - Improves on the stock resource panel. Looks better, and is more useful.

Simple Trim Indicators - Simple, clean, useful mod. Displays trim setting at a glance, no screen clutter.

In-game Notes / Notepad / Checklist - If you want to remember something, write it down!

In-game Scientific Calculator - Sometimes guesstimating just won't get you there.

Texture Replacer - Use this to replace the skybox, planet textures, or customize your kerbals.

Endraxiel's Planet Textures - Use with Texture Replacer.

High Contrast Navball - Very early WIP mod to change the navball for better readability.

MechJeb - It's true, I just installed mechjeb. I like the extended information onscreen, but won't use any autopilot systems other than a maneuver node executor.

Jeb and Bill 9000 - If I'm gonna install a mechjeb part, it better look evil.

Fusebox - Helps plan ahead for electricity generation, storage, and usage.

Image Viewer - View images ingame. I have plans for this.

KSPRC Renaissance Compilation - Adds a lot of pretty graphics to the game. There's no way I could install the whole pack, but I'm picking and choosing a few features.

SCANsat - Use your satellites to find biomes and resources, then draw some maps.

Improved Chase Camera - Makes flying airplanes look a lot better.

RasterPropMonitor - Adds functional MFDs to IVA cockpits.

Kerbal Space Industries - Improves RasterPropMonitor in several ways.

Super Hyomoto MFD by Wari - An attractive edit of KSI's edit of RPM.

TT's Mod Releases MK3 Cockpit IVA with RasterPropMonitor - It's a great looking cockpit for the MK3. I'm going to use it with the large cockpit from SXT.

Vessel Viewer - Lets you see what's happening inside your ship. Works great with RPM.

KSP StockTweaks - Navball open in the mapview, free camera mode, and precision control are all default, like they should have been all along. I'm not using the joystick precision mode, though.

Advanced Jet Engine - Changes the stock jet engines to real world performance.

Edited by White Owl

White Owl: Hey great new series! I remember your space shuttle series. I learnt a lot from it, from cfg editing to building with editor extensions. Yeah and like you I'm also allergic to ugly space vehicles :) Anyway, I was wondering are you using any specific settings for the clouds in EVE? If not are you using the latest iteration of it? I use RSS and it doesn't work as good as it does in your new 6.4 x kerbol series. Thanks.

So far, just the stock settings. Although I deliberately haven't updated to 7.1 yet. The most recent version adds the volumetric clouds, which are cool enough, but the ground turned ugly at the same time; too ugly to use for now. So I'm waiting on a fix for that.

Edit: Figured out the fix! 7.2 works well for me. :)

Although I decided to turn off the city lights. My kerbals don't have cities, and the lights kept floating up in the sky where they just didn't look right.

Edited by White Owl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.