[0.20] Ioncross Crew Support Plugin ([0.22] dev build)

yongedevil

Or, when using ModuleManager 1.5.x (or ModuleManager 1.3 + Sarbian's MM Extensions)

This will support up to pods with 6 Kerbals. It's extensible though.

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = IonModuleCrewSupport
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 10
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[2]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 200
maxAmount = 200
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 20
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[3]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 300
maxAmount = 300
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 30
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[4]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 400
maxAmount = 400
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 40
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[5]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 500
maxAmount = 500
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 50
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[6]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 600
maxAmount = 600
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 60
}
}

Edited by Starwaster
tweaked config

This is a really good universal cfg file, nice. I can delete the numerous ones I have and even the ones that came with mod. This should come stocked with Ioncross Crew Support.

The debate should be what to set the oxygen level for one kerbal. An amount of 100, which would be 4.16 days in a 24 hr period, since they use 1 unit per hour. ICCS for stock KSP seems to be at an amount of 20 per kerbal, which is 20 hrs of breathable air. Which kind of limits a player early on in career mode to venture out to the mun, until they unlock radial O2 tank. This seems more expectable.

I kind of like 100 per kerbal. The other life support mods out there go way beyond these numbers for a single capsule or kerbal.

What do you guys think? Do you guys like 20 or 100 per kerbal or another number?

Or, when using ModuleManager 1.5.x (or ModuleManager 1.3 + Sarbian's MM Extensions)

This will support up to pods with 6 Kerbals. It's extensible though.

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[1]]
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 10
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[2]]
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 200
maxAmount = 200
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 20
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[3]]
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 300
maxAmount = 300
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 30
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[4]]
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 400
maxAmount = 400
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 40
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[5]]
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 500
maxAmount = 500
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 50
}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[6]]
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 600
maxAmount = 600
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 60
}
}

This is a really good universal cfg file, nice. I can delete the numerous ones I have and even the ones that came with mod. This should come stocked with Ioncross Crew Support.

The debate should be what to set the oxygen level for one kerbal. An amount of 100, which would be 4.16 days in a 24 hr period, since they use 1 unit per hour. ICCS for stock KSP seems to be at an amount of 20 per kerbal, which is 20 hrs of breathable air. Which kind of limits a player early on in career mode to venture out to the mun, until they unlock radial O2 tank. This seems more expectable.

I kind of like 100 per kerbal. The other life support mods out there go way beyond these numbers for a single capsule or kerbal.

What do you guys think? Do you guys like 20 or 100 per kerbal or another number?

i think 100 is what IonCross configs boil down to. At least I thinknthats why I went with it. Other mods use different values for O2. Either because they assume different pessurization values or volume constants or both. So long you can bottom line it as x kg per Kerbal per day.....

One caveat though. That file covers all stock parts and several non-stock parts anything over 6 kerbals is using up resources for that part faster so make sure you have tanks and recyclers as needed.

One more thing, all lines starting with @PART should end in :Final

That's something that's only possible in ModuleManager 1.5.x and it ensures that the code wont add unnecessary LSS modules

ICCS Squad pods are 20 each, but thats the only low ones. Everything else, the other configs in there are like you said is 100. So there are inconsistences, I think your config makes things more universal, which mods need.

I might do mine 20/kerbal, this would limit Mun missions without Radial O2 tank.

:Final add at end, I seen that in other configs. So you said this makes it not add unnecessary LLS modules? Should I do this to all my personal config files, end it with :Final ?

So it should look like this:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ionModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final

{

MODULE

{

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxygen

amount = 100

maxAmount = 100

}

RESOURCE

{

name = CarbonDioxide

amount = 0

maxAmount = 10

}

}

i think 100 is what IonCross configs boil down to. At least I thinknthats why I went with it. Other mods use different values for O2. Either because they assume different pessurization values or volume constants or both. So long you can bottom line it as x kg per Kerbal per day.....

One caveat though. That file covers all stock parts and several non-stock parts anything over 6 kerbals is using up resources for that part faster so make sure you have tanks and recyclers as needed.

One more thing, all lines starting with @PART should end in :Final

That's something that's only possible in ModuleManager 1.5.x and it ensures that the code wont add unnecessary LSS modules

Is this one better than the other LF mods?

I currently prefer it because it provides a life support requirement without getting horribly micromanagy about it. TAC will get more interesting once you can grow food out of waste and do other things with other resources, but at present it just makes for more buttons to click on without enhancing the experience. ECLSS has some performance issues at the moment and has a much smaller set of parts, making it difficult to find just the right size for your ship. It also requires a huge number of tanks for anything but short-term missions. I don't know if that's actually realistic or not since I don't have a good handle on the actual real-world technologies it's mimicking. (Also, your kerbals can't die of co2 poisoning in that one -- excess co2 just gets vented.)

Edited by jrandom

I like it, the only one I used. Its one of the first ones and has been around a while. It one of the simpler ones, focuses on O2 and CO2. This mod only use to be capsule only, but a while back they added O2 to EVAs which is really nice. Before I had to use a separate mod.

I like the part models on this one better, someone recently did a new texture for this pack which makes it nice. Here is link:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/somnambulicaeropsace-ioncross-retextures-2/

Then Starwaster just did a kind of universal cfg file. It really helps out when adding new mods that need to be ICCS added. If the cfg doesn't exist, it has to be made and can be cumbersome to figure out right amount.

The one file to rule them all, lol.

Is this one better than the other LF mods?

I currently prefer it because it provides a life support requirement without getting horribly micromanagy about it. TAC will get more interesting once you can grow food out of waste and do other things with other resources, but at present it just makes for more buttons to click on without enhancing the experience. ECLSS has some performance issues at the moment and has a much smaller set of parts, making it difficult to find just the right size for your ship. It also requires a huge number of tanks for anything but short-term missions. I don't know if that's actually realistic or not since I don't have a good handle on the actual real-world technologies it's mimicking. (Also, your kerbals can't die of co2 poisoning in that one -- excess co2 just gets vented.)

Re: LSS mods in general. They all seem (IIRC) to be using densities appropriate to compressed gaseous O2 so you'll always get less than per tank than if they were using LOX (liquid O2, which has a density greater than water). IonCross O2 density is pretty high for compressed gaseous O2 but nowhere near what liquid O2 would be.

Now, to compare with something like an Apollo command module, they stored their O2 in the service module in liquid form. It was used both to provide breathable air (100% O2 but at lower than 1atm) and potable water. The latter coming from the fuel cells which combined the O2 with H2 to provide power and water. I haven't been able to find any data on what kind of O2 storage the command module had past what was present in the capsule itself. I would assume there would be backup tanks of gaseous O2 but that's just an assumption. So LOX gives you better duration. (it is possible to achieve this if you also use Modular Fuel Tanks by adding in a generator module - ModuleGenerator - that turns the LiquidO2 resource into IonCross's oxygen) (forget what the resource name is.... Oxygen? O2?)

Re: ECLSS CO2 venting. Just FYI, you can't actually 'vent' CO2 from the atmosphere. It has to be removed with some sort of scrubber, (or maybe in the future, aeroponics or algae, etc). In the 60s / 70s when your scrubber became saturated with CO2 it was replaced with a fresh one. When you're out of scrubbers there's no other way of removing the CO2. These days though we have 'regenerable' scrubbers where you can remove the CO2 by either heating the scrubber or exposing it to vacuum. So.... I assume ECLSS is abstracting something like what they flew on the shuttle where the RCRS had two scrubbers. Only one would be actively scrubbing while the other was regenerated. I think that's what is also used on the ISS these days.

The latter coming from the fuel cells which combined the O2 with H2 to provide power and water. I haven't been able to find any data on what kind of O2 storage the command module had past what was present in the capsule itself. I would assume there would be backup tanks of gaseous O2 but that's just an assumption.

Apollo used compressed air canisters to maintain their oxygen. The command module was built to leak air slowly to allow release of contaminants (ie methane, ozone, etc). CO2 was the only contaminant they could scrub out. By adding compressed air, they could maintain the balance of N2 and O2 in a simple manner.

Here is download link to universal cfg. file that Starwaster created, I just brought the numbers down to ICCS numbers. I just made it 20 per Kerbal, which reflects the mk1 capsule (1 Kerbal) of having 20 units of air and the mk1-2 (3 Kerbals) having 60 units of air.

Originally along time ago this mod had 100 units of air for one kerbal or for the mk1 capsule, but in the new updates they were turned down to 20 units of air in a capsule. This made it harder and forced players to attach tanks to ship builds. I think yongedevil wanted to make O2 more life threatening and wanted players to the necessary measures to combat the problem.

This is assuming that you have Module Manager 1.5 downloaded:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-(Nov-11)

ICCS download:

http://www./view/ocgx68ilsc3q1sd/ICCS%20-%2020%20per%20Kerbal.cfg

Yesterday while playing, I was checking out the amounts of O2. The caspules seemed fine to me, but when I added FusTek Station parts, the O2 on larger parts seem low. Since they have more space and could hold more O2 at the start, I thought I could combine Starwaster O2 numbers with the 20 per kerbal O2 in a capsule. This seems to work much better if there are larger space station parts or parts that make a base and capsules could still retain their low amounts.

With this I also combined the squad.cfg that comes with IonCross. I turned down The Crew Cabin O2 to 400 and CO2 to 40 to reflect the changes.

In my game I just deleted all my cfg that are in IonCross Crew Support and used this one.

///////Command Pods and Cockpits///////

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 20
maxAmount = 20
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 10
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],#CrewCapacity[2]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 40
maxAmount = 40
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 20
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],#CrewCapacity[3]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 60
maxAmount = 60
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 30
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],#CrewCapacity[4]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 80
maxAmount = 80
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 40
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#category[Pods],#CrewCapacity[5]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 50
}
}

///////Station parts or Larger Parts///////

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 10
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[2]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 200
maxAmount = 200
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 20
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[3]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 300
maxAmount = 300
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 30
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[4]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 400
maxAmount = 400
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 40
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[5]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 500
maxAmount = 500
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 50
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[IonModuleCrewSupport],#CrewCapacity[6]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 600
maxAmount = 600
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 60
}
}

///////Squad Stuff///////

@PART[crewCabin]
:Final
{

MODULE
{

ION_SUPPORT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.0041666667

}

ION_POD_GENERATOR

{

generatorName = CO2Scrubber

generatorGUIName = Scrubber

startOn = True

hideStatusL2 = True

hideEfficency = True

hideOutputControls = True

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = CarbonDioxide

rateBase = -0.001666668

}

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 300

maxAmount = 300

}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 400
maxAmount = 400
}

RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 40
}

}

@PART[launchClamp1]:Final

{

@MODULE[ModuleGenerator]

{

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = Oxygen

rate = 1

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = CarbonDioxide

rate = -1

}

}

}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir]]:Final

{

MODULE

{

name = IonModuleGenerator

generatorName = IntakeCollector

generatorGUIName = Cabin Air

alwaysOn = True

hideStatus = True

hideStatusL2 = True

hideEfficency = True

hideActivateControls = True

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = IntakeAir

rate = 1.25

effectOnEfficency = 1

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = Oxygen

rate = 0.1

}

}

}

@PART[kerbalEVA]
:Final
{

MODULE

{

name = IonModuleEVASupport

}

RESOURCE

{

name = Oxygen

amount = 1

maxAmount = 1

}

}

I also changed the intake parts to a single one, this should work with other mods, like B9.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir]]:Final

{

MODULE

{

alwaysOn = True

hideStatus = True

hideStatusL2 = True

hideEfficency = True

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = IntakeAir

rate = 1.25

effectOnEfficency = 1

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = Oxygen

rate = 0.1

}

}

}

This part code got changed with the single code, so I don't know if this is a bad thing or not:

@PART[ramAirIntake]

{

MODULE

{

//alwaysOn = True

//hideStatus = True

//hideStatusL2 = True

hideEfficency = True

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = IntakeAir

rate = 1.25

effectOnEfficency = 1

}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = Oxygen

rate = 0.1

}

}

}

I wasn't to sure if this code was taken out it, would it have any negative effect on the performance of the ramAirIntake.

//alwaysOn = True
//hideStatus = True
//hideStatusL2 = True

I just let the main code do its thing and hope the ramAirIntake works OK. With that said the air intakes will work in B9 mod and get air into the cabins for the Kerbals.

If you guys want to test it out, here is download link to cfg:

http://www./view/3ur655u63jfqapz/ICS.cfg

Make sure you delete all the ModuleManager cfg files in main Ioncross Crew Support folder and put this one in to try.

ModuleManager 1.5:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-(Nov-11)

Edited by therealcrow999

I'm working on some Realism Overhaul configs for IonCross and had a question about the RESOURCE_DEFINITION section: Does the 'density' setting set the weight of 1 unit of the resource in thousands of kilograms?

Edit: It appears so, yes.

More questions!

The ION_SUPPORT_RESOURCE for ElectricCharge: Is this just the rate when activating the co2 scrubber? I ask since it appears the regenerators have their own electricity use settings.

Edited by jrandom

I'm working on some Realism Overhaul configs for IonCross and had a question about the RESOURCE_DEFINITION section: Does the 'density' setting set the weight of 1 unit of the resource in thousands of kilograms?

Edit: It appears so, yes.

Yes, it's the weight of one unit in Metric Tons (1000kg).

The ION_SUPPORT_RESOURCE for ElectricCharge: Is this just the rate when activating the co2 scrubber? I ask since it appears the regenerators have their own electricity use settings.

No, this is the rate needed to run basic life support (heat, O2 injection, etc). The scrubber doesn't seem to need any power. Per the readme, you should be able to add power requirements by adding this on the ION_POD_GENERATOR for the CO2Scrubber

INPUT_RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.375000

effectOnEfficency = 1

}

I seen a lot of people trashing it as well, and yet of the three main contenders, it's still my favorite (hence my work on the RealismOverhaul rescale .cfg I created for it).

It's simpler to use than TAC (although TAC will be a strong contender once it's possible to grow food). ECLSS currently has performance issues and carries an unrealistically small amount of oxygen per tank (last I used it).

It hasn't been updated in awhile which has me worried, but at least the timewarp bug got fixed. :) (Dev build 4, I believe.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.