The MachingBird Challenge!

Try polar orbit.

My best runs usually comes when coming down from 75-90km apoapsis to 55km periapsis.

Sweet spot seems to be around 55-60km running with only 1/3 throttle. (200+ intakes)

Under 55km my craft starts losing speed.

With an apopapsis that low, you aren't going to have much speed. My best runs push the apoapsis out in to the 300KM range. Remember that speed at periapsis is directly related to apoapsis height.

With an apopapsis that low, you aren't going to have much speed. My best runs push the apoapsis out in to the 300KM range. Remember that speed at periapsis is directly related to apoapsis height.

This is just a difference of inclination -- the same surface speed implies different orbital energy depending which way you're headed.

Mods used only pWing (much love for pWing) and the landing gear from TT wheels. Oh, and if the plane needs a name, I christen it The Yellow Dart :D

Sorry to be a stickler, but mods that add non-stock parts which influence flight in a manner that is not exclusively control assistance. Also, how'd you get that fast using only jets in FAR? The jet is made to cap at 1800 m/s in there!

Hurrg. so close. 4 m/s short! Though it was a really bad run really. going to try again... and add a droptank I think.

This is all I need, right? (plus the drop tank staging if i add one)

Congrats, you have matched my top speed ever, which I need to re-run, considering I lost the pictures in a hard-drive swap... Nice design, by the way!

If we go by all mods allowed, I have a plane that can go over 4 Km/s, look:

Sorry, but I can't go by all mods allowed, because it just isn't fair.

Completed the Challenge, top speed of 2230 m/s

Very nice! And welcome to the Mach-6 Club!

Sorry, but I can't go by all mods allowed, because it just isn't fair.

Even if you could, I wouldn't allow the Pulse Detonation Engine. That plane has enough thrust to leave Kerbol's SOI.

I made a few stock planes without airhogging, but none come even close to 2 Km/s

We here at Storm Technology see a fantastic challenge when we see one. That said, our engineers specifically set out to make a remarkably plane-like entry. We give you the Storm Technology - eXperimental Eight 'Vortex' Jet. Aka, the ST-X8 Vortex. Our record is 2319m/s.

We used several truckloads of intakes throughout the whole development process. Truckloads. 84 in total are mounted on the Vortex. With two fuselages and four engines.

Highest speed was achieved during atmospheric orbit #3, with two engines off, and the other two set to ~2/3s throttle at peak. Dipping down to ~43km at the lowest, with an expected apoapsis at ~250km when at maximum speed.

No mods were used in the making of the aircraft. Its manned by one Wilfrey Kerman.

the ST-X8 Vortex officially clocks in at an astounding 2319m/s.

HD8BCpw.jpg

Thats right. Our systems recorded an overland speed of 2319m/s. Wilfrey is just overjoyed.

zKJigwc.jpg

Everyone knows fire makes Kerbals happy; Wilfrey is no exception. Jet covered in fire? Check. Overwhelming joy? Check.

kKYBIb5.jpg

The ST-X8 Vortex ready for lift off!

----------------------------------

Will release the craft file upon request. This was a fantastically fun challenge, I really enjoyed it, and I think it helped me with my designing, building, and flying of planes and SSTOs. Squeezing every last little M/S out of a plane is frigging nerve wracking. Also totally awesome!

May i present the Firehawk MK I (manned + stock)

http://www.umluex.at/bilder/ksp/firehawk/JPEG/2013-06-12_00011.jpg

http://www.umluex.at/bilder/ksp/firehawk/JPEG/2013-06-12_00016.jpg

http://www.umluex.at/bilder/ksp/firehawk/JPEG/2013-06-12_00017.jpg

EDIT:

Forget the MK I, the MK II reached 2256m/s

2013-06-12_00027.jpg

2013-06-12_00029.jpg

2013-06-12_00030.jpg

this sweet baby has only 5,68 tons. its true.. simple is best.

Edited by Umlüx

We here at Storm Technology see a fantastic challenge when we see one. That said, our engineers specifically set out to make a remarkably plane-like entry. We give you the Storm Technology - eXperimental Eight 'Vortex' Jet. Aka, the ST-X8 Vortex. Our record is 2319m/s.

We used several truckloads of intakes throughout the whole development process. Truckloads. 84 in total are mounted on the Vortex. With two fuselages and four engines.

Highest speed was achieved during atmospheric orbit #3, with two engines off, and the other two set to ~2/3s throttle at peak. Dipping down to ~43km at the lowest, with an expected apoapsis at ~250km when at maximum speed.

No mods were used in the making of the aircraft. Its manned by one Wilfrey Kerman.

the ST-X8 Vortex officially clocks in at an astounding 2319m/s.

-snip-

Thats right. Our systems recorded an overland speed of 2319m/s. Wilfrey is just overjoyed.

-snip-

Everyone knows fire makes Kerbals happy; Wilfrey is no exception. Jet covered in fire? Check. Overwhelming joy? Check.

-snip-

The ST-X8 Vortex ready for lift off!

----------------------------------

Will release the craft file upon request. This was a fantastically fun challenge, I really enjoyed it, and I think it helped me with my designing, building, and flying of planes and SSTOs. Squeezing every last little M/S out of a plane is frigging nerve wracking. Also totally awesome!

Mother of god..... There's more intake than jet on that dang thing!

http://imgur.com/a/iCPg6

2,258m/s over land

Sorry, the challenge isn't to see how fast you can get your pilot to go, it's how fast you can get your plane to go...

That thing is cool! I like how you wrapped your plane in those intakes. I'm impressed with the four-engined design (probably easier to fly now that they evened out engine burnout).

May i present the Firehawk *snip*

*snip*

this sweet baby has only 5,68 tons. its true.. simple is best.

You got it! Simple is generally more effective!

Have you seen the rest of the planes in this challenge? My entry has 168 intakes, and one of my planes, sitting around in a save somewhere has closer to 200.

Thanks for the entries, people, I love to see what other people manage to come up with!

That's how this challenge works. At the altitudes needed to get the max speed, you'll always be intake limited, so extra jets do no good. You'll see that the fastest entries typically are single jet designs. You're also at sub orbital heights, and control surfaces become less and less important as well. You have the speed to effectively be in orbit as long as you can keep your orientation correct. The ideal design for this is something that goes up, drops all control surfaces and relies on gimballing and torque only, has a single jet, and a bunch of intakes and enough fuel to get to top speed just before running out. I may redo my design to dump the wings and tail when it gets high. I have a newer design that gets to the 2330's, but I haven't redone the documentation yet because the way I do it take a while. I end up getting in orbit and skimming atmosphere, so it takes a few orbits to get to top speed.

The only way having a second jet could actually help you is if you managed to stack so many intakes on that you could go full throttle at the top of atmosphere with a single one.

Edited by occar

Sorry, the challenge isn't to see how fast you can get your pilot to go, it's how fast you can get your plane to go...

Dude, seriously? I did that with the plane and then jumped out and ended the mission. I can do it again if you want but seriously. I know the challenge.

Dude, seriously? I did that with the plane and then jumped out and ended the mission. I can do it again if you want but seriously. I know the challenge.

Sorry, in the past, I've run into enough attempts of cheating that I don't want to deal with the possibility you hopped out and jetpacked your way up to that speed. Even if you did that speed legitimately, before jumping, which I believe you probably did, I cannot allow room for a "but he did it" moment.

Ok, not sure if this qualifies. Technically I think it does, since you don't actually say you need to use jet engines, but just that you can't use anything other than them. Which means that a ship that uses no engines should qualify:

utew.jpg

7sqs.jpg

dnl.jpg

ie9t.jpg

The max speed comes out to 2746m/s, which means I should be the first member of the Mach 8 club. :D