Calling all KSP Pro's I Require assitance

Dermeister

In response to the OP, you need to angle the shuttle's main engines into the tank.

In the original U.S. Space Shuttle, the SSME's are angled into the big orange tank, so that the thrust vector passes through the CoM. Because you're space shuttle engines are straight up, when the booster thrust cuts out, your thrust is offset, and you get pitch down.

Take off the boosters, and angle the main engines until the thrust vector goes through the CoM of the shuttle/tank without boosters. That will solve the pitch-down problem. After this, however, it gets very tricky. You need to figure out how to balance the CoM and thrust vector of the combined SRB/SSME.

You may have to tune the thrust of your SRB's in the .cfg file, in order to get the craft to fly straight. Good luck.

In response to the OP, you need to angle the shuttle's main engines into the tank.

In the original U.S. Space Shuttle, the SSME's are angled into the big orange tank, so that the thrust vector passes through the CoM. Because you're space shuttle engines are straight up, when the booster thrust cuts out, your thrust is offset, and you get pitch down.

Take off the boosters, and angle the main engines until the thrust vector goes through the CoM of the shuttle/tank without boosters. That will solve the pitch-down problem. After this, however, it gets very tricky. You need to figure out how to balance the CoM and thrust vector of the combined SRB/SSME.

You may have to tune the thrust of your SRB's in the .cfg file, in order to get the craft to fly straight. Good luck.

THATS EXACLY My probleme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i angle the engines the srb makes me roll back!!!!!!!!!!! if i dont the SRB sep pitched me foward!! Can i copy andpast the SRB folder and name it tuned? then i just use a text editor and mod the thrust values?

Any 1 know what ISP at sea level and ISP in vacuum means? Thanks for the tip :) right now i had the idea of changing the Gimbal Max on an engine aswell so thati don't need to angle them the A.S.A.S will automatically try to keep me straight and use the natural gimbal... then when i fily i na diff config it wont need to gimbal as much when i try to pull up or push.

Edited by Dermeister

OK, got it up to the point where the boosters separate (about 16,000m), but you've got to feather the shuttle engines most of the way up. I've had to add another fuel tank, stick a motor on the bottom of the main tank and add another booster, but at separation the main fuel tank and shuttle immediately begin tumbling. And it's still iffy on dV - Mechjeb is saying 4350m/s but Mechjeb is usually a tad conservative.

Not beaten yet :)

Well, it's been a rocky road

screenshot138dt.png

But we got there in the end

screenshot139ls.png

I had to nurse it into orbit, flicking the main shuttle engine on and off as it kept trying to overbalance and because I watching that the orbit was highly eccentric (325km AP - 72km PE) and would need to mount a rescue mission as there's no fuel left onboard. But it's up there.

screenshot141pg.png

screenshot140y.png

The addition of two radial engines at the top of the main fuel tank helped to keep it stable after the boosters separated, and you need to remember to shut off the jet engines. Oh, and the shuttle itself is unbalanced but is OK as long as you're careful with the throttle.

I'm sure that had I been paying attention I could get it to a 100km circular orbit and have enough fuel left to de-orbit and land, but frankly I'd rather pull it to pieces and start again. However, if you want the ship file PM me your email address and I'll fire it over.

Oh, you'll notice I've added Mechjeb. It's a must imho for this thing to fly.

Edited by MRab2

Well, it's been a rocky road

screenshot138dt.png

But we got there in the end

screenshot139ls.png

I had to nurse it into orbit, flicking the main shuttle engine on and off as it kept trying to overbalance and because I watching that the orbit was highly eccentric (325km AP - 72km PE) and would need to mount a rescue mission as there's no fuel left onboard. But it's up there.

screenshot141pg.png

screenshot140y.png

The addition of two radial engines at the top of the main fuel tank helped to keep it stable after the boosters separated, and you need to remember to shut off the jet engines. Oh, and the shuttle itself is unbalanced but is OK as long as you're careful with the throttle.

I'm sure that had I been paying attention I could get it to a 100km circular orbit and have enough fuel left to de-orbit and land, but frankly I'd rather pull it to pieces and start again. However, if you want the ship file PM me your email address and I'll fire it over.

Oh, you'll notice I've added Mechjeb. It's a must imho for this thing to fly.

Nice :) it went up :) yea i ben workign on somthign on my end too :) i need to test it later but i have agood feelign about it.. then again.... you never know with KSP LOL! somtimes you think it's agood design and it's not at all LOL!

Yeah, angle your shuttle engines.

That was the starting point, but that technique doesn't scale too well. Try it on a launch vehicle 10 times the mass of the one shown in your pic.

That was the starting point, but that technique doesn't scale too well. Try it on a launch vehicle 10 times the mass of the one shown in your pic.

I dont think he understands.... the scale here.. were talking 60 TONS Just for the lander itself ( the Plane part) Not countign the payload and fuel of the Main fuel tank andboosters... It's a whole new scale.. BUT! I DID IT! screens to comelater... but Don't congrats me i cheated :( i modified the gimbal range on my Engine to like 8 instead of 1.5 LOL!

I kept the original unedited engine..... i feel bad i cheated so i will keep trying with out cheating.

Edited by Dermeister

I have done it. You still have to angle our engines.

Here's a challenge for you: make a working realistic STS as big as mine.

I dont think he understands.... the scale here.. were talking 60 TONS Just for the lander itself ( the Plane part) Not countign the payload and fuel of the Main fuel tank andboosters... It's a whole new scale.. BUT! I DID IT! screens to comelater... but Don't congrats me i cheated :( i modified the gimbal range on my Engine to like 8 instead of 1.5 LOL!

I kept the original unedited engine..... i feel bad i cheated so i will keep trying with out cheating.

If you can't angle the engines, angle the shuttle. And, I do understand.

Edited by Giggleplex777

I have done it. You still have to angle our engines.

Here's a challenge for you: make a working realistic STS as big as mine.

If you can't angle the engines, angle the shuttle. And, I do understand.

I had mine workign and all balanced out... but now it dosent have enough fuel.... if i add a bigger fuel tank....... noze dive again so i think i need to some how make all the weight at the top of the tank.... so whne im rolled back the weight helps keep my noze prperly aligned

EDIT SUCCESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made it to space and landedback at KSP ofcoursei had to modifie my original shuttledesing as in moove soem RCS arround cause in space it was not doing agood job andshift the side air engine mounts up a bit so it dosent pitch back o nrentry :) but other than that i got a 2 booster + fuel tank design to work by addign a 3 structure squares.. Angelign them back by 3 ticks then mountign engines on those :) Bigger fuel tank too :) i'm happy :D

Edited by Dermeister

I had mine workign and all balanced out... but now it dosent have enough fuel.... if i add a bigger fuel tank....... noze dive again so i think i need to some how make all the weight at the top of the tank.... so whne im rolled back the weight helps keep my noze prperly aligned

EDIT SUCCESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made it to space and landedback at KSP ofcoursei had to modifie my original shuttledesing as in moove soem RCS arround cause in space it was not doing agood job andshift the side air engine mounts up a bit so it dosent pitch back o nrentry :) but other than that i got a 2 booster + fuel tank design to work by addign a 3 structure squares.. Angelign them back by 3 ticks then mountign engines on those :) Bigger fuel tank too :) i'm happy :D

Nice, pictures? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.