[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

Holy boop Mulbin. I'm not going to rep you (again), but those fairings, and especially that lander: you reach new heights of aesthetics with each iteration, and the first was already good enough to be worthy of praise. :0.0: And what is the method to get invisible decouplers? I don't get it, but never mind: I've got to download this and take it apart.

BTW, did you give up on doing the full NASA-like flight manual? It was awesome!

Rune. Shame about the part count, though, it's the only reason I'm still doing my own Apollo replica: for those of us with less-than-supercomputers.

Edited by Rune

I must say, after trying to fly the craft I find it a bit...explodey.

Twice sitting on the launchpad now it has just exploded when physics kicked in before I had a chance to do anything and four out of the five times I managed to launch it wanted to dive toward the horizon and I used a quarter of the first stage to bring it back to vertical. The one time I got it to over 50km I found the TWR was too low to get to orbit.

I`ll keep trying but this is my progress so far.

EDIT: I find the wanting to tip over drops off at about 2.5km and it becomes much more controllable. Got it to 60km, I still cannot get to orbit though. Could you post a video of how to get it to orbit or at least tell us what sort of flight profile to follow? (when to turn, what height/speed we should be at when staging etc)

EDIT: Got it to 73km and 1600m/s

EDIT: got it to orbit. 150kmx65km Having trouble getting enough Dv from the first stages to allow the third stage to get to orbital speeds without using too much fuel.

Also it does a good impression of the Leaning tower of Piza

3yJTsBx.png

I'll make a video when I get a chance. Completed 3 missions with it now.

You need to launch pretty quickly to avoid it leaning too much lol, new SAS is still rubbish but if you launch fairly verically then you dont have to touch the controls until you start your turn, just live with the fact it will be slightly off course and correct it in the second stage!

Gravity turn at 8km toward 90 degrees (East) at an angle of 70-75 degrees from horizon.

First stage should run out around 12km altitude and 300 m/s (surface speed).

keep dropping nose gradually, aim to be down to 45 degrees when you AP is up to 35km

You can aim to be pointed at prograde marker once AP hits 50km

Second stage should run out around 40-45km altitude and 1300 m/s (orbital speed - not surface)

After staging tilt the third stage back up to 45 degrees to keep you AP far enough ahead so you dont overshoot... adjust your tilt to keep it ahead, you will still gradually creep towards it at first but with practice you can control it so you don't overshoot, try to get into orbit at 71km

From 71km orbit you need exactly 878 DV for a free return tragectory to the Mun. I tend to set a maneuver node to exactly this much DV and slide it around my orbit path until it looks right.

Fuel actually isn't that tight if you get it right, I always end up ditching the third stage with fuel still in the tanks.... I might try later to see if it can make Minmus.

Edited by Mulbin

I don't really like the small command pod (as it has an AWFUL IVA)

I'm hopong Squad will update the IVA... still I prefer it to the old lander as you were upside down! In the new lander the view from your window is the right way up.

Just a little heads up: I noticed that the launch clamps in 0.22 shift a bit when physics load, which sometimes rips rockets apart.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye on that. I'm not getting any explosions on my game though, I'll have a check over the uploaded version just in case anything has come loose! Sometimes things seem to change a little when you paste craft files into a new save (disconnecting fuel lines for example).

Can you recreate Apollo 13 the movie with this please? *edit* Why didn't you use the new landing legs?

The whole movie?? I didn't use the other legs as they are just too big to be in scale. The ones I used are the closest to the real Apollo.

smooth fairings! what witchcraft is this? ;)

I can't put into words how nice this ship is :)

Thanks! It's taken a loooong time to perfect but I'm almost happy with the design now.... at least until Munbug XII

So the Saturn V had a total of 11 engines over all its 3 stages with relative powers of 6.18:1:0.2, how many does Munbug have and how may of them are the biggest engine in the game? It`s very hard to pull apart due to the intense clipping to see but I thought I counted 10 engines in the first stage and a first stage engine in the second stage and so forth. It seems VERY heavy.

Maybe Munbug XII could look at reducing weight to get a better TWR...

So the Saturn V had a total of 11 engines over all its 3 stages with relative powers of 6.18:1:0.2, how many does Munbug have and how may of them are the biggest engine in the game? It`s very hard to pull apart due to the intense clipping to see but I thought I counted 10 engines in the first stage and a first stage engine in the second stage and so forth. It seems VERY heavy.

Maybe Munbug XII could look at reducing weight to get a better TWR...

In KSP you can have a stock rocket that recreates the data of a saturn V... or looks like a saturn V. TWR is currently fine... I just took it to Minmus. Until Squad makes either a more powerful engine, or stock fairings there's not much that can be changed without making it look rubbish.

Nice craft indeed. First try it exploded on the pad though, second try beautifully stable and i love how the fairings fly away :) Then it inspired to me to build my own small Apollo like lander. Still not finished but managed to get a Mun fly by Sunday morning.. But I had blocked up the exit of the command module..WRAAAAGHHH!!!

@Mulbin.. I noticed the 10 engines in the first stage how did you manage to stack the 2? When i try it I always end up with fairings and engines not working :-/ Secondly I kinda like rockets that take off slowly; that moment when your rocket floats and suddenly beats gravity, poetry :,)

Edited by WooDzor

In KSP you can have a stock rocket that recreates the data of a saturn V... or looks like a saturn V. TWR is currently fine... I just took it to Minmus. Until Squad makes either a more powerful engine, or stock fairings there's not much that can be changed without making it look rubbish.

Careful, Mulbin! You may have the looks hands down, but I am getting close to a very close Saturn V analogue, not only engine-wise, but I even nailed T/W at liftoff. Scaled, of course, but accurate at that scale. You just need to make it much lighter! I went the extremely light way and did Skipper=F-1, Poodle=J-2, 909=SPS. You could also scale it up and go Mainsail=F-1, Skipper=J-2,Poodle=SPS. The only inaccuracy is that both the descent and ascent engines in the LM are the same in my case, if you went bigger you could be more accurate yet (and I'm thinking now, perhaps I could work something with ant engines...). Anyway, it flies a true Apollo LOR mission with an equivalent engine configuration.

And you know, who knows what other people may have pulled off and are not sharing with us! Lots of ksp geniuses out there. ;)

Rune. Be wary of absolutes in KSP.

Edited by Rune

Never thought I'd see someone use the abort on Munbug. I haven't even used it and I'm not the best pilot here on the forums.

I'd consider myself a pretty good pilot and I had to use the abort once because the whole thing exploded as soon as physics kicked in.