[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

Without clipping? I never said it was without clipping lol. Munbug is full of clipping... it's practically a monument to clipping! I never really got why people don't like clipping, it isn't a "cheat" as it doesnt make anything easier... you still have all of the weight. If anything it makes things much harder to build as you need to brace a lot with struts.... same bits just put together in a prettier way!

I think some clipping might be closer to cheating, like clipping two fuel tanks into each other so you have two tanks taking up the space of one. Clipping so that parts fit together in a more attractive way definitely isn't cheating.

I think some clipping might be closer to cheating, like clipping two fuel tanks into each other so you have two tanks taking up the space of one. Clipping so that parts fit together in a more attractive way definitely isn't cheating.

But..... clipping a tank inside another doesn't give you any advantage in the game so can't be seen as a "cheat". Your weight is the same, your drag is the same whether the part is clipped or not. Could easily attach them radially and the craft would handle the same. Just look uglier! Clipping doesn't make it easier to get anywhere. Using a mod part would be much more of a "cheat" than forcing yourself to use the stock parts (and their weight!).

I could make a version of munbug with exactly the same parts, with no clipping... it would have the same weight, the same thrust, the same DV, the same capability... the only difference is it would look like an ugly mess :)

But..... clipping a tank inside another doesn't give you any advantage in the game so can't be seen as a "cheat". Your weight is the same, your drag is the same whether the part is clipped or not. Could easily attach them radially and the craft would handle the same. Just look uglier! Clipping doesn't make it easier to get anywhere. Using a mod part would be much more of a "cheat" than forcing yourself to use the stock parts (and their weight!).

I could make a version of munbug with exactly the same parts, with no clipping... it would have the same weight, the same thrust, the same DV, the same capability... the only difference is it would look like an ugly mess :)

I agree with you, Mulbin. I love clipping, too.

But..... clipping a tank inside another doesn't give you any advantage in the game so can't be seen as a "cheat".

It's cheating in the sense that it's giving you more volume per space than is physically possible. And for a game pretty heavily based on physics, heavily abused clipping will have a pretty significant impact on the reality of the craft.

That being said, I fully support what you're doing with these crafts. The previous versions of your Munbug in no way felt like they were clipped to the point of cheating. I especially liked the way you cleverly hid away your rover and scientific packages in the lander. I will be patiently and eagerly awaiting the release of your smaller version.

The ability to pack so much use into such a small lander is an art, keep up the fantastic work!

You would have more drag as it would be wider ... but you're right

Well, in real life it would have more drag. KSP makes no frontal area calculations currently, and does not take into account weather parts are exposed to the airstream or not. Each part has a flat drag value assigned, so there would literally be no difference in performance between the clipped version and a theoretical "unclipped" version.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm fairly sure that the newer versions of the Munbug are only theoretically capable of doing all the stuff they supposedly can do, as running them requires a supercomputer...

I use them regularly on an old geforce 260. Try setting your max physics slider fully to the right in the settings menu. Always runs slowly at the launch but I have perfect framrate / speed by the time I'm in low kerbin orbit.

You may want to use the flag module on your munbug's. Theres a tutorial here:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35225-Some-lesser-known-bits-of-info-for-addon-developers you may want to check if it keeps munbug stock.

This as a great mod! I wont include it in the craft though as I want to keep it stock, but I'll certainly be using it on my own saves!... at some point I might make a recommended mod list or possibly an optional mod version of munbug. things like TAC life support and chattere that add more depth to an apollo style mission.

How many parts does the new Munbug have? (If my laptop doesn't crash on loading the craft) I might be able to make a more friendly version of it with THIS mod.

Merging most of the tanks of a stage into a single one might add dramatically to FPS... Or it might make KSP try to divide by 0. :P

Mulbin, I'm dying to see how you made that tiny lander.

I'll get back on it soon! been distracted by career mode!

How many parts does the new Munbug have? (If my laptop doesn't crash on loading the craft) I might be able to make a more friendly version of it with THIS mod.

Merging most of the tanks of a stage into a single one might add dramatically to FPS... Or it might make KSP try to divide by 0. :P

I think the part count will be similar.. the lander will have fewer parts but the fairings will have more!

I`m currently making my own Apollo replica and I am noticing that the stock parts just don`t match up with each other very well scale wise. Assuming you have to use the three man pod as the basis for scale in the CM, the legs are just too small to make a MEM (LEM). The structural panels are about twice the size needed to make a convincing fairing and it would be nice to have a few more sizes of fuel tank.

Well done so far coping with stock parts, can`t wait to check out your new lander.

I'll get back on it soon! been distracted by career mode!

I feel you bro. I just released the first ship in I don't know how long, and it's one I built to gather science ^^'

Rune. But work! I also want to take a look at that new lander. :)