How to change your pod?

So I built a supermassive cool rocket with loads of complicated doohickeys and thingamajigs but I started with a single man pod. I have now realised that I would like to recklessly endanger the lives of three Kerbals instead, is there any way that I can swap it out without having to rebuild my whole rocket?

Thanks,

There's a plugin called Subassembly Loader. See if you can find it. What it does is it lets you save part of the ship and load it into another ship. So basically, save everything attached to your small command pod, start a new ship with a larger pod, and load the rest of the ship as a subassembly.

Keep in mind that it doesn't always handle struts and fuel lines perfectly, so you'll probably need to re-check these. But that's better than building the whole ship from scratch.

Quick note for a substitution - assuming you've got a Mk-I on your rocket right now, a Probodobodyne OKTO and 4 PB-NUKs have the same mass; swapping one out for the other = no net effect on delta-V or TWR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.