Successful Mun Landing!!

Junedax

Greetings!

My first successful Mun landing occurred this evening!! after many explosive impacts of previous attempts. Jeb is tickled pin...er green at being on Mun in one piece and went for a nice EVA. After fully exhausting his jet-pack investigating a crater he posed for a few mug shots near his craft, the K.R.A.L.K mkII (Kerbal Rescue and Lander Kraft). Next is a return to Kerbin, hopefully there is enough fuel.

This kraft is part lander, part rescue pod manned by a single Kerbal with room to pickup 4 more. No docking ports on this model. The 4 LV-N engines and bottom fuel tanks eject after re-entry and the Rockmax 24-77 radial engines are there to provide retro thrust so the Hitchhiker can doesn't explode on impact.

I haven't attempted a return flight yet, it was enough to land on the Mun tonight. Although I have tested re-entry on previous failed attempts and the top portion will float or land successfully on its legs as long as you slow down enough. 4 parachutes on the top helps to reduce the over-all speed of the kraft but not quite enough to survive a landing.

I took a few shots of the flight, an evening launch.

http://imgur.com/a/10m6X#0

I'm looking forward to more landings, maybe Minmus next. Then I need to master the art of docking.

efAqTwSh.jpg

Jeb is coming in for a crash landing... and then

0snl3P3h.jpg

"I'm alright!"

I might try one of those crazier designs someday (Bit of a purist and went for several "apollo style" missions)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.