Good songs to drift in space to

ahappydude

A few weeks ago I got into a real John Barry kick.

He did the soundtracks for a few classic Sci-Fi films/series. Including pretty much all of the James Bond music up through the 80s. Which includes the likes of -

Space March - from You Only Live Twice

And from Moonraker - the utterly magnificent Flight Into Space

And speaking of perfect music to use for Macey Dean's battles in space -

Space Laser Battle - Moonraker

(which is not in any way what I would normally think of as fight music - but somehow WORKS...)

But the creme de la creme is the recent re-issuing from recently re-discovered digital masters of the complete The Black Hole soundtrack.

Give it a listen!

Here's the part where the Palomino drifts out of the gravitational shield generated by the Cygnus and barely manages to claw their way back from the brink of the Black Hole.

Other themes that come to mind -

If you're launching one of the Mercury or Gemini mod recreations available out there, you just CANNOT go wrong starting off your flight with Bill Conti's theme from The Right Stuff.

http://youtu.be/MTj8bR2_2Ec

And if you're going for a Mun Landing... well... how can you not love the launch music from Apollo 13?

I was on a Balinese dance music kick for a while. Was listening to the Akira soundtrack, which inspired me to look up what some of the instruments they used were - I knew the bell like percussion instrument was a Gamelan, but I was trying to find the more wooden sounding thing used in Kaneda and Against the Clowns. Turns out it's called a Jegog. Listened to a lot of that.

Now I'm listening to sea shanties because they make the baby sleep better. Do a search for "Johnny Collins" and start with "Leave Her Johnny" or "Randy Dandy Oh".

I've been sort of half heartedly turning the last one into a space shanty (Brave Kerbals we launch with the dawn! Way ay, launch and go! Our suits and our spacesuits were bought at the pawn! On the rocketship Randy Dandy Oh!)

For a good long drift my favorite is "On the beautiful Danube"

since every spaceship slowly drifting reminds me of 2001: A space odyssey.

That and the main theme from 2001: A space odyssey whenever in orbit around a planet. :D

Also massive thanks for the Voyager 1 sounds link!

Dark was the Night, Cold was the Ground

Journey of the Sorceror

These are probably obvious picks, but I like them.

Excellent taste in music - and UTTERLY appropriate for KSP! There really does need to be a book in the cockpit of any Kerbal Piloted spacecraft with bright friendly letters saying "DON'T PANIC!" :D

I'd say, either also sprach zathrusa (or how ever you spell it), I have the vinyl/use Kevin macleod's system.

Fire fire by steam powered giraffe, as it sums up disasters for me.

Whatever else I can find that's indie and in the spectrum of rock, folk, ragtime, and classical.

I will listen to anything, but those are my favourites.

Edited by llamatoes

This. So haunting...You have no home anymore...You are alone...Falling forever into the darkness...Like a cold, blind bird...

Ahemm. Pretty much entire Homeworld soundtrack is ideal for a space game. The countless minutes where i just sat and watched my Resource Collectors strip-mine the map of every speck of dust, with this music playing in the background. Good times :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.