1:1 Planets?

Daze

It was a good thought though. i certainly didnt even think about it till you brought it up, and i only know u can move planets cause i watched a vid yday of danny2462 blowing up gilly while it was orbiting kerbin

I was avoiding stating things that already had been said in this thread, but yes. 5 minutes to orbit vs 15 makes a lot of difference if you want to conduct lots of launches in succession, for example. Planets would get a lot more boring visually because, really, do you want to detail 197 million square miles of planetary surface? It's hard enough as it is with the tiny planets to make them fully detailed.

Everything about doing this would make everything more difficult. For players AND developers. And not in a good-difficulty challenging way, it would just make conducting anything more boring and time-consuming for the players, and VASTLY more time consuming for us.

This. Plus as someone mentioned, the only difference is that everything would take longer and the game would feel like a chore.

The space we have is already astronomical. If we were to make sure everything was scaled 1:1 like our own solar system, it'd take a hell of a lot more time with the time accelerator than it does already.

Also, please remove the timewarp because there's no such thing like that in real life. It'll make play times longer but hey, realism right? And it would be in-par with 1:1 scale planets!

If time warp was removed then for interplanetary travel you would LITERALLY have to wait years in real time to accomplish anything :confused:.

I don't want it for realism but only for the visual impact that a bigger planet will give instead of smaller...

But i think that this will be solved with introducing of clouds and civilization elements

That is the fault of the camera, not the actual "planet size".

Err, I cannot think of how to explain this.

*We're talking about change in composition due to focal length not shifting as you "zoom away" from the craft.

*Basically, rather than use a wide angle lens, you're just stepping back... telephoto makes things seem "flat and small" hence the issue.

Edited by Fel

I dont want 1:1 scale because I like to explore the surfaces of worlds. I enjoy that they are scaled down for GAMEPLAY reasons. Real distances would just add extra time for no gameplay benefit. The Elder Scrolls is a great example of still having large worlds but scaled down so they are full of more things to do. Elder Scrolls Daggerfall was huge but most of it was just filler and useless. That is why Morrowind /Oblivion/Skyrim are about 0.01% the size of Daggerfall.

Id rather keep the current scale and add more anomalies and special terrain features.

don't want it for realism but only for the visual impact that a bigger planet will give instead of smaller...

You need just change fov, and how it's handled when you zoom\zoomout camera.

image.png

It's nearly one place but different fov

Edited by zzz

I've always hoped that one day when KSP eventually gets interplanetary travel and a procedurally generated galaxy that there would be a 1:1 copy of our solar system as an easter egg in some far off corner of the map.

Ever wondered why the Kerbals are only about a meter tall, or even less?

It's because their planet is far, far smaller than ours, meaning the gravity is less, resulting in lighter, smaller creatures evolving on it. If you don't need a big, meaty set of legs to keep yourself upright, why bother? Natural selection would slowly weed out the variations that survive to reproduce less often.

Ever wondered why the Kerbals are only about a meter tall, or even less?

It's because their planet is far, far smaller than ours, meaning the gravity is less, resulting in lighter, smaller creatures evolving on it. If you don't need a big, meaty set of legs to keep yourself upright, why bother? Natural selection would slowly weed out the variations that survive to reproduce less often.

Actually the gravity is the same as on Earth so your theory goes out the window :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.