When did KSP get trees?

Ripx

Palms would make sense, given that KSC is equatorial. Assuming similar conditions to Earth's tropics, which may not be the case.

I've had temperature readings of 16 degrees, (C I assume.) which is quite cool.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, eddiew said:

Smells like gravedirt... ;)

As was answered 3 years ago; turn on terrain scatter to get trees.

I would not do that if you plan long, low-altitude flights or roving on Kerbin.  A memory leak causes the game to crash.
Other than that, it's really gorgeous

On ‎12‎-‎5‎-‎2013 at 0:45 PM, Custard Donut (In Space) said:

this is however the exotic planet of Kerbin and not Earth, so they could be migratory cacti using little legs to get around, although i have my doubts.

Quantum cacti, they are everywhere until they're observed and the wave form collapses, hence they suddenly had always been in that new spot when you looked away for a sec.

I kind of wish trees and rocks also had collision boxes with them.  Not big ones, maybe slightly smaller than the mesh itself, but big enough that you want to avoid them.  It would make rough-terrain landings more challenging, and give players more incentive to use things like vertical descent landers.  

9 minutes ago, spink00 said:

This thread was made two and a half years ago.

I've seen some bad necroposts, but this is unbelievable.

Google brings ppl to these old posts.  I've been guilty of it on certain forums.

The only solution would be auto-locking topics without activity for like 1 month or 3.

I Object to the locking of old posts, such as this thread which is as important as it ever was.. simply due to the nature of scatters.. it shouldnt be locked just because its old but rather be used to even so late in the KSP versions to enlighten others new to the game.. since its an optional setting and one that requires a restart

There is most definitely trees in stock KSP, but you need to read the small text down the bottom that says some settings wont take effect until you restart KSP.. sometimes it does work without but generally its best to set terrain scatters to 100%, then restart KSP and just check if its on

there isnt trees everywhere randomly.. every area has its own idea of how many trees or what kind of trees.. its changed alot in recent times, I didnt think mine was turned on until I drove around 50km from KSC and ran into a forrest.. some areas are teeming with trees, others bushes.. some just cactii and rocks with the occasional shrub..

it also has a habit of turning itself off sometimes if KSP was closed wrong.. like Alt F4

This is around 60km north of KSC

its not perfect.. but its better enabled than not. even if its a bit buggy...

as for the memory leak with low altitude flights.. not sure *how* long is.. but I never fly and ive driven 100km in one session and not had a problem.. im using 64 bit windows though. I know how horrible 32 bit windows running KSP can be :)

gOILvzH.png

Edited by Overland

13 hours ago, Overland said:

but I never fly and ive driven 100km in one session and not had a problem

I know we're of like minds with the Elcano. :)

I've done all of my Elcano missions in stock KSP, 32-bit (with scatter at 100%) and haven't had it crash from being out of memory in a really (really) long time. That includes many quickloads and driving for hours on end. Usually what causes me to have to restart KSP during Elcano is when the vessel just keeps wanting to randomly explode...or the kerbals ragdoll and turn into spaghetti.

I'm not saying that KSP's terrain is leak proof now, but seems much better than it was (pure stock, at least). I don't know if it's fragile to add-on interactions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.