To all the people that constantly whine "CHEATURRR" on KSP Youtube videos...

Sleipnir

So you're telling me you're better than me because you can do a pin point landing on the Mun without MJ ?! Nobody cares if you can do that. It won't get you a job or a medal.

And there are plenty of people better at flying than me too, I don't loose any sleep over it.

If he explains why I should not brake that hard because it's bad for the brakes, why it's bad for the engine to drive at 50 km/h on the 1st gear, I'm ready to let him talk ^^

If I enjoy braking hard and accelerating to 50 in 1st, it's my business as long as it's my car.

The problem with people who rant about Mechjeb and other mods is that they think it's really important... In reality it's just a computer game... a form of entertainment. If you enjoy the game, you're doing everything right!

And there are plenty of people better at flying than me too, I don't loose any sleep over it.

No, you don't understand. I don't care. I'm not even capable of doing a lot of thing by myself in this game but that's not what I'm looking for. What bother me is that he's saying that a player who can fly a rocket by himself is a better player than the one who can't. This game is not a contest. You're not better than someone else if you can pin point land on the Mun or go to Jool without MJ. What makes you a great player is the fun you get by playing it, the enjoyement you get when you reach your personnal goal. For example, I'm working on 2 shuttles, when I'll be able to take off with each of them, I'll be prouder of myself than if I land a ship only using RCS on Eve without MJ just because I don't care to be able to do it. The only thing I want is to have the space program I want to have exactly like I want it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I enjoy braking hard and accelerating to 50 in 1st, it's my business as long as it's my car.

The problem with people who rant about Mechjeb and other mods is that they think it's really important... In reality it's just a computer game... a form of entertainment. If you enjoy the game, you're doing everything right!

I did not say I'll accept what he told me. Just I'll listen

It's youtube comments. Do you seriously, actually expect even a modicum of intelligence?

I agree with the general sentiment in this comment, Youtube is the world's repository for non-biodegradable, verbal diarrhea, in my experience it is not uncommon to find a full-blown screaming match with threats of violence under something as innocuous as a video on how to make butter cookies, i only read Youtube comments if i'm feeling a little too happy and wish to become depressed again, a very rare occurrence.

With regard to the original post, i only use mods that give me an aesthetic change, currently i have chatterer installed and nothing else, it's how i like to play but i don't compare my preferences to anyone elses, that's their business and i don't understand why anyone would have anything to say about it.

, i only read Youtube comments if i'm feeling a little too happy and wish to become depressed again, a very rare occurrence.

that made my day thank you sir :) i literally laughed out loud :)

I agree with the general sentiment in this comment, Youtube is the world's repository for non-biodegradable, verbal diarrhea, in my experience it is not uncommon to find a full-blown screaming match with threats of violence under something as innocuous as a video on how to make butter cookies, i only read Youtube comments if i'm feeling a little too happy and wish to become depressed again, a very rare occurrence.

With regard to the original post, i only use mods that give me an aesthetic change, currently i have chatterer installed and nothing else, it's how i like to play but i don't compare my preferences to anyone elses, that's their business and i don't understand why anyone would have anything to say about it.

Trust Custard Donut to come up with the wisest words, as an good end to yet another pointless thread about Mechjeb!

I don't like mechjeb, I don't. People claim "Well Apollo 11 used autopilot" Yes it did, but on a computer as powerful as a calculator not as powerful as a high end PC. Also a few Apollo missions had to turn off autopilot near landing. But my point is the fun in KSP is piloting. I don't care how tedious it gets. I think my dislike of mechjeb comes from when it ruined my first mun landing. I made a basic rocket and told it to go there and it was done. No fun or heart pounding landings like the real thing. I NEVER whine cheater but i don't care if people do.

Who cares if it ruined your virtual pixels, just because you didn't use it properly or didn't abort the auto-pilot doesn't mean you have to go on complaining about it. Plus you didn't use it properly you have to land it yourself or use LANDING autopilot, the fact you used the mod improperly shows that you shouldn't criticize something when you have no clue what you are talking about, that sir is called "ignorance".

I don't like mechjeb, I don't. People claim "Well Apollo 11 used autopilot" Yes it did, but on a computer as powerful as a calculator not as powerful as a high end PC. Also a few Apollo missions had to turn off autopilot near landing. But my point is the fun in KSP is piloting. I don't care how tedious it gets. I think my dislike of mechjeb comes from when it ruined my first mun landing. I made a basic rocket and told it to go there and it was done. No fun or heart pounding landings like the real thing. I NEVER whine cheater but i don't care if people do.

Actually LEM Autopilot was better than MJ

Who cares if it ruined your virtual pixels, just because you didn't use it properly or didn't abort the auto-pilot doesn't mean you have to go on complaining about it. Plus you didn't use it properly you have to land it yourself or use LANDING autopilot, the fact you used the mod improperly shows that you shouldn't criticize something when you have no clue what you are talking about, that sir is called "ignorance".

That is a little uncalled for. I used to love the forum people seemed nicer. Now it seems to be getting more and more childish and rude and that is really sad. Maybe i don't have the patience that i used to. Maybe its just me. But you should be able to have a conversation without the need of insulting someone for there view.

Everyone plays the game in a different way. I like flying by manually, however docking is so incredibly tedious that I let Mechjeb handle it after I've rendezvoused.

Landings are one of the most fun things in this game, but I understand the need of mechjeb if you're for example building a massive base.

However, I think new players will get most of the fun out of the game if they play it without mods at first, to achieve an orbit and a Mun landing. It just feels so good.

I can orbit things just fine, but it's easier to get it into an orbit that can rendesvousz (Is that correct?) with another ship using mechjeb's help and readout type things. If I don't need something at a specific altitude, I do it myself. If not, mechjeb assists me. I also need it for moon (not Mun, I refer to all ingame moons here.) and planet landing assistance.

That and the radial mechjeb unit looks badass.

However, I think new players will get most of the fun out of the game if they play it without mods at first, to achieve an orbit and a Mun landing. It just feels so good.

Getting to Mun without mechjeb is amazing, although rather hard. When I first installed KSP, I knew about mechjeb and I promised myself I'd atleast crash on Mun before using it.

Edited by OneRedBlock

Everyone plays the game in a different way. I like flying by manually, however docking is so incredibly tedious that I let Mechjeb handle it after I've rendezvoused.

Landings are one of the most fun things in this game, but I understand the need of mechjeb if you're for example building a massive base.

I began enjoying the game as I enjoy it now once I've added mods to it. But maybe it's part of my philosophy that a good game cannot become an amazing game if it can't be modded.

I think I'll close this thread with a small tl;dr of how all mechjeb vs no mechjeb threads end (or in general mods vs no mods threads, as they become MJ vs no MJ threads anyway).

People play this game however they want and that is fine: it's why a mod like Mechjeb exists. There will be purists who consider anyone who uses mods - especially those that make parts of the game easier - inferior, there are fanboys of said mods who encourage anyone to use it for everything and there are more or less people in the middle. Myself I'm somewhere inbetween the purists and the 'middle': I don't mind people playing with Mechjeb but I do mind when they post their 'awesome' achievements such as landing on for example Tylo. In such a case I think it's a far greater achievement if the player has learned about orbital mechanics, learned to control, fly and land his rocket and combines all this knowledge into a good mission. What has a Mechjeb adept done? He's built a rocket, engaged the launch autopilot, clicked to circularize his orbit, clicked to do a near perfect Hohmann transfer, perhaps had to do some manual work to get an encounter with Tylo, click to circularize, click to land. Call it what you will but that just doesn't compare to someone who does everything manually - not that I don't understand why you used Mechjeb.

In the end I think that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. That prevents a lot of problems and I think saying this is what the original intent of the topic was.

P.S. the whole "astronauts use autopilots as well" argument makes no sense because the astronauts don't have to build the rockets they fly. KSP isn't an astronaut RPG.