From Orbiter to Kerbal Space Program

Meraco

Greetings Jeb lovers,

New to the forum but not the genre. I have had considerable experience with Orbiter by Martin Schweiger. So when I stumbled onto Kerbal Space program, I must say I was very pleased with the functionality it provides.

I don't know how many times I would alter code and copy paste mission content from the save files in order to emulate what KSP does by design. The ability to build the vessels from the ground up, the ability to enable a launch of said vehicle, the ability to dock and build stations of ones own design, the Kerbals themselves that add a natural external visual component rather than a readout of a pulse on a screen to show that your crew either survived or passed into oblivion.

All combined KSP is exactly what I was "imagining" when I was in orbiter. And it delivers beyond my expectations.

After Orbiter.. KSP was a natural progression for my vision of a world outside of our own gravity constraints.

I am very pleased to meet like minded enthusiasts of the genre and continue to enjoy the pics, the vids, the mods, and the imaginative story lines you have all contributed.

Welcome to the forums! :)

The design aspect is definitely as much a draw to the game as the piloting one (more so, for some people). I've heard comparisons to "LEGO in Space!" on other sites before.

If you're into recreating historical craft, the Spaceport has a large number of mods that provide faithful reproductions of spacecraft like Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, and many others.

Happy launching!

Welcome! :)

I used to play orbiter as well before discovering KSP. I was rubbish at it, but being familiar with orbital mechanics really helped with climbing the game's learning curve. :D