I've become the US Space Program I think.

Moon Goddess

So let me preface I'm still really obsessed with kerbal, but I'm not doing much.

I landed and returned manned missions on Mun and Minimus, I built a space station.

I beat the US in that I've landed and returned a manned mission to Duna (Well actually, I crashed a base then landed and returned a rescue mission)

Since then though, I've not gone anywhere. I keep downloading more mods, building more and more things that never get finished.

My base designs either don't get finished or fall apart before hitting orbit.

Basically I've just become the US.

Hopefully .20 comes soon and planting flags inspires me.

Start a colony, try and get a viable population of Kerbals out to some planet or moon and start sending out interesting infrastructure that might be needed for Kerbal-kind to thrive in their new homes. I find that simply going somewhere, landing and then flying back is much less interesting than a massive project like this - if you have major goals in mind, there will always be more to do on it.

Start a colony, try and get a viable population of Kerbals out to some planet or moon and start sending out interesting infrastructure that might be needed for Kerbal-kind to thrive in their new homes. I find that simply going somewhere, landing and then flying back is much less interesting than a massive project like this - if you have major goals in mind, there will always be more to do on it.

Where do you find female Kerbals for a "viable population" ?

Where do you find female Kerbals for a "viable population" ?

See, this is the problem the Kerbals have with putting an alien in charge of their space program. I was just going to put lots of them in the same place and hope that they figure out how to breed by themselves.

Why not go to Jool?

You know the honest reason I havn't gone to Jool is I've set up 2 missions then looked at the amount of time till that transfer window, it would be silly to time accel thru all that, I better go build something, and then just forget about it.

I have, unfortunately, more closely followed the Soviets. That is, I throw Kerbals at the problem until they stop dying.

That would still be the US space program. The Soviets have lost six astronauts. The US has lost 21.

That would still be the US space program. The Soviets have lost six astronauts. The US has lost 21.

The US had 3 fatal accidents, one of which wasn't even a launch so probably doesn't count.

The number of fatal accidents the Soviets had is impossible to ever know, given the level of secrecy surrounding their programs (and even their history, decades later, even after the country dissolved), the number they admit to having lost is only the number they couldn't hide from the international press.

Counting the number of ground fatalities when several of their N1s exploded on the pad (which you should count, as you count Apollo 1), they've lost at least several hundred.

The US had 3 fatal accidents, one of which wasn't even a launch so probably doesn't count.

The number of fatal accidents the Soviets had is impossible to ever know, given the level of secrecy surrounding their programs (and even their history, decades later, even after the country dissolved), the number they admit to having lost is only the number they couldn't hide from the international press.

Counting the number of ground fatalities when several of their N1s exploded on the pad (which you should count, as you count Apollo 1), they've lost at least several hundred.

The Soviets lost 190 people on the pad in one single incident. Including the director of the launch program, Mitrofan Nedelin! I would say that they have the U.S. beat by quite a lot.

I know what you mean. I've been waiting for a good launch window to Jool & Duna but didn't just want to timewarp for a long time so I've been just designing all sorts of junk meanwhile and noticed I suck a lot at rover design. Making a station on a kerbosynchronous orbit was a good way to pass the time.

I have, unfortunately, more closely followed the Soviets. That is, I throw Kerbals at the problem until they stop dying.

Interpreting launch accidents as "throwing people at the problem until they stop dying" is quite retarded way of looking at it, I should say.

Competing in "which nation lost less people" is not less retarded, BTW.

So let me preface I'm still really obsessed with kerbal, but I'm not doing much.

I landed and returned manned missions on Mun and Minimus, I built a space station.

I beat the US in that I've landed and returned a manned mission to Duna (Well actually, I crashed a base then landed and returned a rescue mission)

Since then though, I've not gone anywhere. I keep downloading more mods, building more and more things that never get finished.

My base designs either don't get finished or fall apart before hitting orbit.

Basically I've just become the US.

Hopefully .20 comes soon and planting flags inspires me.

I know this problem! I had exactly the same problem, since then I have a KSP-break ;)

Sorry to be on topic but I have started putting service stations in orbit around every planet, might do every moon as well if I get bored. They have 300kn of nuclear thrust, 7 orange tanks of fuel, about 6000 mono, space for about 20 kerbals and about 20 docking ports (with lights, 800 power/sec, fuel balancer, kethane mapper, isa mapper, mechjeb 2). I plan on docking any lander/base ships there, draining any spare fuel into the station and then putting down the lander/base which then can redock with the service station to refuel or kerbals can catch a lift on the cruise liner that will do tours of the Kerbolar system going from service station to service station and then shuttle back to KSC. A rockomax x200-32 gives about 1300Dv for the station and a 1 minute burn gives about 110Dv with the 300Kn of thrust. For such a large thing it moves very gracefully. I put the large heavy fuel mass in the middle so the ends spin around that, don`t even need to use RSC to turn. Currently I am doing a burn to Duna for the first station.

Now to build about 10 of them and a space pleasure cruise liner.

By Jool, I've never built anything anywhere near that big. 7 orange tanks? I'm happy when I can get 1 orange tank in orbit with fuel still in it.

Though the idea of a Kethane mapper on a station in orbit is not something I had thought off, I tend to put it on a probe so that I can put it on high inclination and a station on 0 inclination. Doesn't matter I've crashed both the mining rigs I've sent to Mun, I tend to over build them.

I know what you mean. I've been waiting for a good launch window to Jool & Duna but didn't just want to timewarp for a long time so I've been just designing all sorts of junk meanwhile and noticed I suck a lot at rover design. Making a station on a kerbosynchronous orbit was a good way to pass the time.

I understand that. I solve the problem by simply escaping Kerbins SOI and then I can't leave the ship orbiting around the sun, so I time accelerate. Because of this I have insane mission times on some ships.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.