[0.90] LazTek SpaceX Launch, Exploration, Colonial Transporter & Historic mods (1/25/14)

LazarusLuan

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Have you ever actually seen LazTek models? Hint: they do not use JSITransparentPods. That's what he meant. He doesn't want no-IVA pods, he wants pods with no modeled interior. Not so easy to do now, isn't it? It would require changes to the model, something that requires source files. Once again, the order is: research first, post later.

I support this idea, visible interiors should either be gone altogether, or replaced with RPM-based transparent pod feature to actually show the IVAs inside (with Kerbals and all).[/

The release of KSP .25 allowed me to build panels that can be opened and closed in the VAB without needing any additional plugins along with the ability to create windows that can appear dark or illuminated through menu control, so I've rebuilt the capsule models for the Dragonrider and Dragon 2 to make them behave the same as stock capsules with invisible outer skin and separately modeled interior bulkheads. I will continue to make the original capsules with opening hatches available as a separate download.

The update for .25 is on its way - I had to replace my entire computer setup two weeks ago due to storm/lightning damage. I'm currently wrapping up the textures and physical model testing.

Will we see the long awaited super heavy lift MCT/BFR pack?

Just letting you know of a small bug in your part configs. For the ModuleHeatShield in some of your parts, the ablative shielding curve config need to be like this (taken from DeadlyReentry sample config):

ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature
key = 450 0 // start ablating at 450 degrees C
key = 550 2 // peak ablation at 550 degrees C
key = 3000 2.5 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}

But yours look like this:

ablative = AblativeShielding
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature
key = 450 0 // start ablating at 450 degrees C
key = 550 2 // peak ablation at 550 degrees C
key = 3000 2.5 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}

Note the missing "loss" line.

I believe DeadlyReentry falls back to a default loss curve if it can't find one defined, like in your case, which means the mod would still work but may not be configured the way you want it (heatshields dissipate faster or slower than you'd like).

Is anybody having trouble with the booster stage landing gear falling off in .25 the moment the rocket touches the ground? This is happening to me even with a perfect 6 m/s touch down speed on a 11 ton stage. I know it's not supported but.... if it's a bug it would be great to get it into the .25 release.

more to follow.

====EDIT=======

Yes there is probably a setting that isn't right. Watch this

I also tried the upper stage landing gear and they seem fine.

Edited by bmyers831
fixed youtube link (again)

Is anybody having trouble with the booster stage landing gear falling off in .25 the moment the rocket touches the ground? This is happening to me even with a perfect 6 m/s touch down speed on a 11 ton stage. I know it's not supported but.... if it's a bug it would be great to get it into the .25 release.

more to follow.

====EDIT=======

Yes there is probably a setting that isn't right. Watch this

http://youtu.be/48Sy8ixiVfM

I also tried the upper stage landing gear and they seem fine.

6m/s is maybe a bit fast. Try with lower speed!

After my last post I realized I still needed to make the new SpaceX gridfins for the first stages of all the spacecraft, plus a new ladder, parachute and retractable ramp for the Colonial Transporter. Everything is done and I'm packing things up right now for the beta test release. Here are shots of some of what's included:

15297380633_3b3d998059_b.jpg

15729585428_b75cd29b78_b.jpg

15731307167_8c177a01c1_b.jpg

15891247776_bbcba0ee41_b.jpg

Also, could you darken the solar panels on both Dragons? While they are indeed blue, they're darker than artists' depictions make them appear. This is a recurring problem with solar panels, they're generally darker than most artists think they are. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/SpaceX_Dragon_C2%2B_vehicle_approaches_ISS_%28ISS031-E-071140%29.jpg

Looking good can't wait for the update.

Edit- I like the solarpanels just like they are and the kerbals have more solar panel comany's to pick from then in real life you do know this are little green men ?

Edited by Mecripp2

Could you or will you eventually make the SpaceX barge so we can land on it? I think it would be a great thing to have, as well as a great challenge :). I made a barge in KSP and landed the first stage of the Falcon 9 rocket from your mod on it, so I think a real barge that could float and look like the actual one would be awesome!

SpaceX Barge: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/536262624653365248

Link to the video:

Also I have another question. Ever since 0.25 came out and I downloaded this mod it lags, and this never happened in 0.24.2, I even downloaded the low res version to see if that was the problem but it still lags. Is this just because it's not yet supported in 0.25?

Edited by FutureMartian97
Formatting

Edit- I like the solarpanels just like they are and the kerbals have more solar panel comany's to pick from then in real life you do know this are little green men ?

Stop with this "green men" thing already. That you don't care about realism doesn't mean others don't. Me, I don't care about those "little green men" and I'd love to see a plugin that turns them into humans someday. For now, I'd be fine with realistic solar panels. This mod is about realism.

Stop with this "green men" thing already. That you don't care about realism doesn't mean others don't. Me, I don't care about those "little green men" and I'd love to see a plugin that turns them into humans someday. For now, I'd be fine with realistic solar panels. This mod is about realism.

Yes alot would like it more real but it's a game and this modders do this for free and looks like there has been a big drop in the modders and forums, Would have to say if, I was a modder and had to see your post all the time, I might think it's not worth it and just because it's real doesn't make it look good.

Good thing you're not the one working on realism mods. For some people, it really does make the mod better. LazTek has always had exceptional accuracy. This is part of the reason it was one of the first things supported by the new Realism Overhaul and one of the mods with the most comprehensive support as well. There are other mods for "little green men with a dinky planet" gameplay. This one is realistic, and I'd simply like it to be even more so.

Please bear in mind that every player of KSP -- and, by extension, every modder -- has their own vision of what the ideal game should look like. You're free to offer criticisms and suggestions, but keep in mind that it's ultimately the prerogative of the mod-makers themselves to determine whether any suggested changes fit within their own vision of what the mod in question is meant to accomplish.

In the meantime, please be patient, and remember to keep things civil :)

I'd love to see a plugin that turns them into humans someday.

Great idea! I'd definitely use that mod.

For now, I'd be fine with realistic solar panels. This mod is about realism.

Color changes are easy to do yourself. Open the texture file with a free image editor (I use paint.net), and use the color-replacer tool to change the old color to the desired one.

Color changes are easy to do yourself. Open the texture file with a free image editor (I use paint.net), and use the color-replacer tool to change the old color to the desired one.

LazTek uses MBM format, which is a chore to edit. Not to mention this doesn't always look good, one can hope for good results only when working with the actual source files.

Ok, the .25 test version of what will actually be a .90 KSP release for my new SpaceX Colonial Transporter package is available for download:

LazTek SpaceX Colonial Transporter HD .25

This is the high-res version of the package and is completely self-contained, so the SpaceX Launch pack is unnecessary and most systems will likely not be able to load both. I will have lower-res versions available at the time of official release for KSP .90.

The text file included has instructions on how to fly the Colonial Transporter to Duna. Here is a screenshot of the first stage return of the included Falcon XX... please test and provide feedback.

15967424502_8da786e313_b.jpg