Apollo Mission Pack Development (Beta version released!)

So another update. I think my pink eye has reached it's peak, and will start getting better. Unfortunately, it may take much longer for the problems to go away, as I can't actually see what I'm typing right now. Apologies if I make any errors. The point is, I don't know when I'll be able to get back to work, but I'll definitely let everyone know.

So another update. I think my pink eye has reached it's peak, and will start getting better. Unfortunately, it may take much longer for the problems to go away, as I can't actually see what I'm typing right now. Apologies if I make any errors. The point is, I don't know when I'll be able to get back to work, but I'll definitely let everyone know.

Glad to hear that you've at least 'turned the corner'. Hope your recoverry is quick. Take as much time as you need

I'm still trying to keep this thread alive. I've been working on some music for a video(if we ever do one) for the release of the mod. Music is just something I like to do in my spare time, and I haven't really had a chance to do any lately. Of course, even if we don't do a video, I'll still have some amazing music I can put on my soundcloud.

I'm still trying to keep this thread alive. I've been working on some music for a video(if we ever do one) for the release of the mod. Music is just something I like to do in my spare time, and I haven't really had a chance to do any lately. Of course, even if we don't do a video, I'll still have some amazing music I can put on my soundcloud.

I've been hatching a trailer in my mind for a few weeks now that I want to use this mod specifically for. Maybe I could do something with your track?

Actually I think I found a much better composition that would help extrapolate the pure awesomeness of the Saturn V. It's by a guy named Jonathan Russell, and I found it while browsing the SoundsOnline website for an upgrade to my orchestra suite.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Brass

Go over to demos and listen to "sound the horns". I'm sure we could get in contact with whoever owns the rights to that, and ask for permission to use it.

Just wanted to check in with everyone and let y'all know that I'm still alive. My conference just ended and I'm about to hit the road for a week or so, so I haven't done much on the mod lately, nor will I for a few more weeks. However, sometime after 0.21 comes out (and when I get set up at my summer digs), I'll release an updated version of the pack that will include the new textures that Razorcane has done, and any that he is able to do between now and then; and that also includes some minor 0.21 related tweaks (like asas being integrated into the command pods rather than on the fuel tanks). I'll keep you posted once I get to the other coast. Cheers

Actually I think I found a much better composition that would help extrapolate the pure awesomeness of the Saturn V. It's by a guy named Jonathan Russell, and I found it while browsing the SoundsOnline website for an upgrade to my orchestra suite.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Hollywood-Brass

Go over to demos and listen to "sound the horns". I'm sure we could get in contact with whoever owns the rights to that, and ask for permission to use it.

What about this? It's in the public domain.

It's kinda up the same alley, and fits the subject matter - the majesty of stellar travel - very nicely.

Ok so I had opened this thread to show you the SPS, which I had just finished. However, something impossible happened. I mean completely impossible. I've been working on the SPS for about three days now. It looked really great. I had just saved my work, as I do every few minutes, just in case of a crash. A crash occurred a few minutes after saving. So I thought, no big deal, I can just reopen it. However, something impossible happened. When I opened the save, it was a save from this morning, that I had saved over easily 100 times. I don't know how this even happened. My computer deleted the save I just had, and somehow rebuilt an earlier one and replaced it with it. I have never seen such bull in my life, there's no possible way that could happen. The most recently saved one is nowhere to be seen on my hard drive. I'm flabbergasted, and a bit angry, that this happened. It may be a while before I come back to this project, because of such an impossible thing.

I apologize for the rant, I just can't believe something like this happened. I lost all my unwraps, and that basically means I have to go back and unwrap it again, and since it's impossible to make it the exact same, I have to go back and redo the textures, which was an easy 8 hours of work. I don't know what to do.

Ok so I had opened this thread to show you the SPS, which I had just finished. However, something impossible happened...

Ugh. That really sucks, man. It's so frustrating when stuff like that happens. I'm sorry to hear it. Hope it doesn't turn you off from the project entirely

Ugh. That really sucks, man. It's so frustrating when stuff like that happens. I'm sorry to hear it. Hope it doesn't turn you off from the project entirely

Definitely not, but I'm still angry about it. I may go off and do another piece. Or in fact I may just wait until you get all the others done, since I don'ot want to swamp you with work. :P

Ok so, first off, I must apologize again for the rant. It seems I was a bit wrong in what I said. After looking it over, it appears that I lost less than an hour of work, and it was an easy fix. So I've got an SPS to show you guys! I must apologize a second time for the quality of it. I'm still trying to get the right export options to make it not look horrible on sketchfab.

Anyway, here's the SPS.

I also put together the entire CSM, since it's virtually finished. However, something weird happened during some of the exports, so it came out rather odd. I apologize for the quality, but I assure you that the in-game version will look much better.

EDIT: Here's an updated itinerary. Remember that italics means it's finished, and underline means it's a WIP.

Visuals

• Apollo Command Module
  • Apollo Docking Ring
  • Apollo Service Module
  • Apollo Service Propulsion System
  • Service Module RCS
  • LEM RCS
  • Launch Escape System
  • LM Ascent Stage
  • LM Descent Stage ~ Needs better textures
  • LM Lander Legs ~ I think these need a complete overhaul, although they are a low priority.
  • Lunar Module Adapter ~ Also needs a complete overhaul. Needs to jettison petal fairings.
  • Saturn V Rocket Engines ~ These are well done, but the textures need to be slightly improved.
  • Saturn V Stage Tanks ~ These are also well done, but need additional geometry/texture improvements to mimic the real ones.
  • Instrument Unit ~ Needs more detail on the inside, to be frank.

Technicals

• Thrust values for engines need to be adjusted for a somewhat more accurate flight time. ~ I think I've figured out a really good config system for this, so I'm marking it as complete.
  • Proper Stage Decoupling ~ Completed. Can use stock separators for ullage, or KW Rocketry Ullage motors.
  • Power Generator in Service Module
  • Apollo SPS and LM Descent/Ascent Engine adjustments. ~ Haven't had the chance to get around to these yet.
  • Instrument Unit as a Command part. ~ So that the S-IVB can be moved if needed.
  • Lunar Module Adapter fairing jettison. ~ I've already started working on a new adapter, and it will jettison the petals!

Edited by Razorcane

Now this CSM looks really good. Will the escape tower cover the whole CM like the Orion MPCV's? I think in real it did or there were some kind of protective fairing around it which was decoupled with the tower before the 2nd stage separation (maybe) at once.

Yes the CSM is looking really ****ing nice. Curious about the reflective texture, is that the result of sketchfab because KSP can't do reflective textures...or did you just make them anyway and KSP will render them as non-reflective grey?

Also, to answer the LES question above:

apollo.png

Thanks for that! So it's just as I thought. I think the reflective texture is only a sketchfab thing. Not that I ever used it but as I remember every sketchfab posts shown reflective textures. They seem to reflect the background pics quite intensively.

Yes the CSM is looking really ****ing nice. Curious about the reflective texture, is that the result of sketchfab because KSP can't do reflective textures...or did you just make them anyway and KSP will render them as non-reflective grey?

Also, to answer the LES question above:

It's a sketchfab thing. I wanted to add that because that's how the real thing is. However it might have been a bad idea because something seems to have happened during export, and a few verts/edges got messed up. Oh well, the in-game version will look a lot different.

Now this CSM looks really good. Will the escape tower cover the whole CM like the Orion MPCV's? I think in real it did or there were some kind of protective fairing around it which was decoupled with the tower before the 2nd stage separation (maybe) at once.

And yea, there's a cover for the command pod to prevent the LES boosters from damaging the pod. I'm going to add that as best as I can, though the polycount is getting quite high, and I might have to improvise.

Unfortunately, using a plugin like that would mean that you'd need a relatively expensive computer to run the mod at a decent framerate. I'd rather not compromise that in any way. I suppose it might be doable if it was used only on the command pod, though. I'll talk to aphazael about it. What concerns me is the fact that it essentially removes the texture to use a reflection cubemap, and that is undesirable on something as complex as the command pod.

Edited by Razorcane

Unfortunately, using a plugin like that would mean that you'd need a relatively expensive computer to run the mod at a decent framerate. I'd rather not compromise that in any way. I suppose it might be doable if it was used only on the command pod, though. I'll talk to aphazael about it. What concerns me is the fact that it essentially removes the texture to use a reflection cubemap, and that is undesirable on something as complex as the command pod.

The only part it'd be really needed on is the CM. Perhaps two versions could be offered, one with the plugin on that one part and one without?

Edit: does the CM texture exist in a version without the cubemap?

The only part it'd be really needed on is the CM. Perhaps two versions could be offered, one with the plugin on that one part and one without?

Edit: does the CM texture exist in a version without the cubemap?

There is no cubemap. It simply reflects the background of sketchfab, which can be turned on and off on sketchfab itself.

So since aphazael is still out of commission, and will be so for a while yet, I tried to import my parts into the game. It worked pretty horrible, as you can see below:

The Apollo Spacecraft w/ LES - Hacked into space for testing.

RTrb2yV.png

The Service Propulsion System - It actually works!

hnYy1fX.jpg

The detached Launch Escape System, hurdling towards the planet - Doesn't work right, broke off part of the ship!

QnQeSYT.png

The Command-Service Module - Or what's left of it. No docking ring/parachutes!

gZ6Jr86.jpg

The Service Propulsion System in action - Told you it worked.

jrh0d8N.jpg

Note that none of these are final. I'm not doing the import into the game, so don't take these screenshots to mean these are the parts you're getting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.