On studying, working, and wasting one's time.

nhnifong

There are quite a few irreversible decisions we can make. One of those is to trade our time for money by being employed. There inverse trade, to trade one's money fore extra time, is scarcely available. There isn't anything your money can buy that's more fulfilling than adventures. So go on adventures :) and when you have no more money, work quickly for something with high payoff, then quit.

Hey Nhnfong, I've seen you talk about life Philosophy for some time now. (who ever knew you can get to know people without ever seeing, touching, or hearing them)

I would like to know what it is that you do for work/play etc. Reason I ask is that I am very much in agreement with your sentiments and am curious.

Hey Nhnfong, I've seen you talk about life Philosophy for some time now. (who ever knew you can get to know people without ever seeing, touching, or hearing them)

I would like to know what it is that you do for work/play etc. Reason I ask is that I am very much in agreement with your sentiments and am curious.

Well ampster, I'm just a programmer, and a student. Only 25, so I don't know much about "real life" but I've had a taste of employment, and then got laid off, and now I'm trying to finish my degree. I feel like I've been torn from the promised land and shoved back into purgatory. I don't feel like my degree was worth it, quite a scam really. But on the other hand, I'm just a mote of stupid dust in comparison to the great minds I met while I was employed at a software startup. Back in the stupid dust mote club at college. However, as much as a miss the company, it was consuming all my time, and I'm now sitting on a pile of cash and have lost a bunch of muscle, let my relationships stagnate, and generally just forgot where the last year went. I'm most likely going to take this free-time opportunity to go on vacation in Asia

Just recently came back to the KSP forums for some reason too. go fig.

What's your story? I know you're one of the more interesting posters around here, and you've given me some excellent recommendations at times in the past, but what else?

Edited by nhnifong

Well ampster, I'm just a programmer, and a student. Only 25, so I don't know much about "real life" but I've had a taste of employment, and then got laid off, and now I'm trying to finish my degree. I feel like I've been torn from the promised land and shoved back into purgatory. I don't feel like my degree was worth it, quite a scam really. But on the other hand, I'm just a mote of stupid dust in comparison to the great minds I met while I was employed at a software startup. Back in the stupid dust mote club at college. However, as much as a miss the company, it was consuming all my time, and I'm now sitting on a pile of cash and have lost a bunch of muscle, let my relationships stagnate, and generally just forgot where the last year went. I'm most likely going to take this free-time opportunity to go on vacation in Asia

Just recently came back to the KSP forums for some reason too. go fig.

What's your story? I know you're one of the more interesting posters around here, and you've given me some excellent recommendations at times in the past, but what else?

Edit: I apologize for the wall of text below. If it seems a bit disorganized it is because it was written on emotion without thought. I am not aiming it toward you, far from it. It is just that it contains sentiments that I have wanted to share for some time.

Nice dude! I never realised programming was so time intensive. I used to think that one needed a super high education and lots of money to live happily but I have learned recently that is not the case. I'm 21 and feel a similar way about college. I went to a special school in Miami called "The School for Advanced Studies" which basically meant I went to High School at Miami Dade College and took some College classes as well as High School courses. I graduated with a 3.3 gpa (I was bottom Fifty percent at my school XD) and went on to Florida International University to study Astrophysics (what else do you think would bring me to this game :P).

Right after summer my girlfriend of about a year and a half left me (no faults to her, I was kind of a douche at times). The thing is that I was madly in love with her and got to a really low point in my life. For about six months I got into a wrong crowd and started skipping classes, drinking, smoking, even drugs at times. I was a real mess. During that time I decided I wanted to do something else with my life but couldn't see a way out. My sister invited me to go live with her for about two weeks to get my mind off of things (She is like twice my age XD). There I learned about the bible, something I had always wanted to study but never got around to.

I do hate to sound a little corny, but the life lessons I read about really helped me to change my life. I was going down a very bad path, I was even contemplating suicide at some point, but I realised that my grief was unfounded. For that one year I lived with my sister I did a couple of odd jobs; worked as a laborer for a construction company, (I quit though, 60 hour work weeks laboring on an interstate was too much), then I was able to work as an electrician's Apprentice for about four months. That was fun! And now I work in the Office Services department of a Miami Law Firm; something I have been doing for about a year and a half. I have my own apartment and live on my own.

Though I am very young, I feel like I have learned some pretty important life lessons early on in life. I now know not to get unevenly yoked to someone. In retrospect, my girlfriend never really loved me. I think she just liked having fun with me because I was a sociable guy in a school filled with unsociable people (I was captain of the Salsa Club in my school :P). I also learned to develop my own personality before I try to get involved with anyone else. Part of the reason I was such a douche is because I would always overreact to things in an overemotional manner. I have learned to temper my temper and think before speaking. I am a much more balanced individual now than I have ever been in my life.

So now when I talk to my friends, the ones who stayed in college and ask how they are doing I realize that they are stuck with a teenage mentality. They go to school, go home, play video games, hang out with friends, study, homework, hang out, etc etc. Sounds like fun right? No. They have no responsibilities, have never held a job. Don't know what it means to take crap from a boss, to reprimand someone in the workplace when they need it, to not have enough money, to depend on themselves, etc etc.

I don't mean to say to drop out of school. Not by a long shot. But do take some time to see the world beyond school. Work for about a year if you can. Take a break for a semester or two. Try to live on your own means for some time. Talk and socialize with others that are not of your immediate peer group; those who do not share your interests. That is what I did and I am a much better person for it.

Edited by AmpsterMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.