What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I created a new SSTO craft.

screenshot54_zpsec7aaaeb.png

(initial version:

screenshot55_zpsf53f082a.png

)

Got it up to an orbit with an Ap of 158km and Pe of 151km, after expending all fuel and most RCS:

screenshot59_zps883a80aa.png

Bill says hi.

screenshot60_zps40535529.png

Sent up a space tanker/tug/truck thing to refuel it:

screenshot61_zps4e987884.png

screenshot62_zps0830b12a.png

Took it over to the Spacerock station:

screenshot64_zpsc47cc777.png

Severe oscillations occurred on approach with the space tanker due to the single point of contact with the rock. Bad things happened, and I had to evacuate the crew of the rock:

screenshot65_zpsb5c7f6d3.png

screenshot66_zps1212b1c2.png

I then took my plane back down, landing successfully at the KSC for the first time, even if I did rip off the trailing edge and aileron:

screenshot67_zps61d3014b.png

screenshot68_zpsf1f8c024.png

screenshot69_zps102e6742.png

Today I learned that just because I made one small arguably successful SSTO (it DID make it to stable orbit and land safely, but not enough fuel to actually do anything in orbit and no payload other than a kerbal)... doesn't mean I know anything about building large planes, let alone large SSTOs. The idea was to build something reusable to refuel my reusable interplanetary ship(s). Go green, right?

KSP2014-05-2400-45-09-73.jpg~original

Hey wait, where did my engines go? Oh yeah, no air intakes for the RAPIERs. Although it did get off the ground... for a few seconds.

KSP2014-05-2400-47-35-87.jpg~original

KSP2014-05-2400-47-39-30.jpg~original

Stupid thing is too heavy to take off using anything air-breathing, so obviously I should just add more engines and wings.

KSP2014-05-2401-40-40-17.jpg~original

...Or not. Technically this happened because I had the RAPIERs toggle air/closed set to an action key and when I added more I only had them mapped to one side. Needed a little extra boost and, well, this.

KSP2014-05-2401-42-06-27.jpg~original

This actually flies better than the craft as a whole.

KSP2014-05-2400-52-47-70.jpg~original

Hey, this might actually work. Maybe. Kind of. I wouldn't know, I'm still in the atmosphere slowly climbing. Anfield isn't optimistic.

KSP2014-05-2402-24-02-26.jpg~original

Edit: Or not. Hit 20km, asymmetrical flameout. Swapped over to closed system and regained control... Forgot about overheating. Oops. I think I'll just stick to rockets for a while, mkay?

KSP2014-05-2402-34-27-76.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

Since I still don't believe that the kethane scanners work,even though not facing the ground and that the wiki lies.

I built a new Satellite ,the "Ket-Scan-octo-octo".

Name Says all.: 4up,4,down,8 at the sides, with every sciency thing imaginable. I's basically a 7m ball of scanners and solar panels. as beams I used an array of those small thermo generators with a hull of small radial radiators.

If it helps, you can turn on precision controls with caps lock.

I know, but for FAR I still consider it not precise enough. One also needs to change the "zero" value of the controls using ALT+[W,A,S,D] in order not to spontaneously deconstruct the plane.

Well, what did I do in KSP? Actually: Not much. I spent more time in emacs writing scripts that help me plan my missions. All I did in KSP was the experimental confirmation of the theoretical predictions (all on Kerbin, using small unmanned rockets), and well, my estimates are not that bad, compared to flight performance in game. I'll start designing an Eve-Lander today. Not, that any of my other missions would be progressing - I hardly time warped - and therefore the Moho-Probe I was talking about a few days ago is still in Kerbin orbit, waiting for the Mun to be in the desired position for a gravity assist...

Switched out all of my old ISA MapSat equipped probes for SCANsat (just basic radar). I've finally given up on the former as a result of what I did last night, which was enduring crash after crash as a result of its memory-hogging. But because I stubbornly wanted to make the swap in-situ, including preserving mission times, that meant copy-and-pasting a dozen "new" probes (or the parts thereof) into the persistence file in place of the old ones.

Putting the finishing touches on a Saturn V (i never get tired of building that craft or launching that mission...) and starting construction of a minmus kethane base. I need 5000 more science to finish my tech tree on this heavily modded save, but those are going to be slow going i think.

I am building once more.

gO29JOE.png

That might be a kinda nice root part to a space station. But that's no station. Nope. That's the RCS tug that will begin assembling the station I'm building. Yes, it has to be that big.

Time to redefine what it means to Whackjob with the new parts.

I finally brought up my Ket-Scan-Q-1 into orbit.

I forgot how many kethane scanners I had,it weren't 16, they're 40. I hope I didn't forget to activate one.

Oops...

5izkellq.png

Enough struts and...

4f5787tv.png

The magnificent flower unfolds

lrc3o8qn.png

Before activation

d8r8k4dp.png

Before decoupling

dm7k53to.png

The kerbal engineers can be proud

qekvr7ld.png

And yes,we have enough energy for the night.

Built, launched and docked a combination cargo carrier and crew transport to Polaris station. Sadly though, KAS decided to give me trouble when trying to attach some "nitrogen/oxygen tanks" (really just the KAS containers) to my airlock. And my game crashed.

I send my Munar Orbital Habitation Module (MOHM) in orbit around the Mun. Nearly ran out of fuel, but just made it to a nice orbit at the edge of the Mun's SOI. MOHM is going to be a part of a bigger Munar space station. After that, I send a robotic flyby mission to Mimmus in anticipation of some bigger missions. The Mimmus Flyby and Return Mission (MiFaRM) managed to make a flyby of the Mun as well on the return trip, before plunging back to Kerbin.

Earlier this week I relieved Bob from his 6-year duty circling around Kerbin in a highly inclined orbit. It was becoming a bit boring for him, and his request for de-orbit was granted. After that, he became a test pilot for the space plane program. Sadly, he got killed doing this job. RIP Bob Kerman.

I landed on Eeloo for the first time!

Here you can see the Aldo probe on its way out of the Kerbin system.

6Tb80Ve.png

Here it's in orbit around Eeloo.

JRGTjkl.png

And here is the Hans lander - firmly planted on the surface.

DV0qVuT.png

Edited by Felsmak

My last update had a manned rescued ship on its way to Mun to rescue a 3 manned crew after they stupidly tried to land on the side of a large crater... The rescuer didn't fare any better... he didn't kill enough of his horizontal velocity and tipped his ship over and it split into several pieces. Sent an probe core with a hitchhiker can to pick up the now 4 trapped explorers... and promptly tried to land on the side of yet another large crater...

Frustrated... I left the four explorers to play "I spy" and sent two probes to Moho and Dres... I successfully put the Moho probe into orbit and the Dres prob is en route to its destination....