What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Update: Bill made it to the Mun and amazingly nothing went wrong. By my calculations there's plenty of fuel for the return trip, and he was having fun jetpacking around. But something was missing...

KSP2013-12-1823-29-59-43.png

So I built him a giant rover based off my rocket car and strapped a probe core to it!

KSP2013-12-1900-32-11-59.png

The landing went better than expected but 30km away :( So I started to head for him. Hey, this thing is more rugged than it looks.

KSP2013-12-1900-46-08-26.png

Okay, not THAT rugged. Better keep the speed under 25m/s...

KSP2013-12-1900-52-57-29.png

So I quickloaded to the descent stage and tried again, this time I got 5km away and didn't wreck the crap out of it.

KSP2013-12-1901-05-13-36.png

Today I ruined my perfect safety record on my 0.22 career. Jebediah was killed after getting into a horrific SSTO re-entry spin.

I had an almost identical situation. I took my SSTO spaceplane to Minmus and back on one tank of gas, which is a fantastic improvement over 0.22 (mainly the improved intake rules). During re-entry, I normally kick the turbojets on once I get low enough, to help keep the plane stable as it approaches stall speed. Thing is, it was taking long enough that I went to read the message boards, and when I came back the plane was in a flat tumble at about 10km altitude (considerably higher than it used to have stability issues on reentry). Gunning the engines managed to recover the plane, but I only leveled out at about 2km above the terrain.

Jeb's got a charmed life. I started playing in 0.17, and he's never died or been stranded.

Started career mode because I haven't done that in ages. Plus there's new stuff, or something. I unlocked like two nodes, and then I thought, "Wonder if I can make a plane yet."

Turn out yes, but by technicality only. Note the truss skids. Right now I'm in the era that predates wheels. I call it the "Misplaced Marmoset".

Migrated my 0.22 sandbox and career save games over to 0.23, redesigned the Ranger Able mission and launched the second attempt to Dres. Enhanced Nav Ball, Kerbal Alarm Clock and Protractor switched over without problems; I'll need to do a fresh reinstall of KER. I've got an intercept with Dres but I'm not too keen on how much delta-V I've got left for the orbital insertion burn.

Going to be making another attempt to send a satellite to Moho soon; wish me luck.

I started a new career, and built a nice inter-kerbin rocket to take me to different biomes.

Upon landing in some grasslands, Jeb got out of his capsule, and upon landing on the grass, he was eaten by the cracken. I was sucked under the planet and the space music started playing, followed by the game freezing.

Upon reloading the game, Jeb was KIA. I was only 3 hours into the save, so called it a night and will start again today.

I too started on a new career. Sent up 5 rockets...

1) Orbital flight: My rocket turned into a Kracken or octopus during re-entry. No struts means an 8 symmetry rocket became all legs. Surprisingly it survived to land mostly intact.

2) Mun flyby: uneventful, worked out almost exactly as planned except that the parachute balance was a bit off so it toppled and broke up into parts instead of landing on its landing legs.

3) Mun exploration #1! Took Bill out on the first Mun landing to the farside crater.

4&5) More Mun exploration! Hit up a couple other biomes with Jeb and Kilry each on their own launches.

I ended up unlocking 9 nodes if I remember correctly.

Today I did my first full-scale SSTO mission (inject into 100x100 orbit, rendezvous with station, return and land on the runway). It was an almost complete sucess.

Not yet in the habit of using tweakables to disable brakes on the nosewheel, eh? I'm still having to force myself to remember that, too :)

I made a Soyuz spacecraft-based spacecraft today. Launched it on a missile type design.

(Launcher is shown-the Koyuz is concealed behind the fairings on the top)\

1GfBIcu.png

(This is the Koyuz spacecraft,as you can see,it's heavily based on the Soyuz Spacecraft)

IXcEUzq.png

Yesterday I did a rescue from munar orbit of Jeb. He had been there since the start of my current campaign. I landed a kethane mining probe on duna and realized that I can't shut down the drills when the probe has no power (wait what?) so I have to build another mining probe to go there instead. The orbital refinery space station is coming along well and has all the old transfer stages parked there. I'm going to send one back to Kerbin to pick up the new probe and bring it back to Duna. No sense launching what I can reuse.

I stranded Jeb on the moon.

Built a rescue craft that didn't have enough fuel to get back, also stranded on the moon.

Built a new rescue craft, and put my engineer redux part on the capsule. Got to the moon with lots of fuel to spare, but when Jeb got to the craft, he noticed that I was in symmetry mode when placing the Engineer Redux part, and so blocked the entrance to the capsule. Still stuck on the moon...