What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

DV-102 Sherpa, unable to maintain lateral flight in atmosphere with a payload, was in need of a replacement

zfUVDFx.png

Today, a replacement was finally in sight. DV-103 Dromedary, with its variable geometry wings and engines, completed its first successful ascent from an atmosphere with payload

gfZ8meu.png

Just in time to intercept new LRC TranStar Goliath to begin mission equipment assembly for a planned exploration deployment

hY3tXjF.png

zbxgEks.png

Recently have this SSTO space plane probe heading out off Kerbin's SOI due to Mün's gravity. Going to see how far I can go with it and see if I can then get it back. 100% unlikely. But, it has an outward direction and if I don't do anything it should one day have a Kerbin encounter:

210DF9956CF21CEDD29E113FCCBF6FBD289A28BB

Also have an Ion drive only probe which also had a Mün assist. Which saved about 200 Delta-V or so. It was going to be Moho. But, well wrong launch window. So It will head outwards too.

Just in time to intercept new LRC TranStar Goliath to begin mission equipment assembly for a planned exploration deployment
Those are pretty sweet!

Where are you getting blue lights?

And that Goliath... I like that a lot! Excellent work.

I very nearly lost Bill and Jeb on a simple trip to the Mun, in career mode.

Basically, I made a two-man lander that didn't quite have the delta-V to land and return, so I opted for a fly-by instead. And rather than play it safe and go by the book when headed back to Kerbin (they weren't on a free return trajectory), I gunned the engine in prograde and put the orbital path down in the atmosphere. Then, at about 3 minutes to periapsis, I separated the capsule, which apparently gave them enough of a nudge to just barely graze Kerbin's atmosphere and skip off. The "nearly" part is that I thought I'd screwed up royally and sent them on a one-way trip outside of Kerbin's SOI, but upon zooming out a little I noticed that that was not the case. Their orbit had changed to go out past Minimus, yes, but stayed firmly in Kerbin's grasp. So now I'm blaming this on Jeb and leaving him up there to think about what he's done (they've already done 5 or 6 laps, enough to bring them inside the Mun's orbit) and let aerobraking do the rest.

Euryale Let There Be Light arrives at Eve from Moho after refueling the Merry Go Round at Eve.

By sending this ship first I got an idea of the aerobraking height I'd need on the Moho - Eve transfer; hit 70km and that wasn't enough.

uZAsqO0.png

Merry Go Round docks with Journey of the Sorceror above Eve to collect the Science lab segment.

I encountered a strange bug here - controlling one ship was producing an effect on the other as if the torque wheels on both ships were running off the same input.

I'd been switching between the two ships quite freely aligning them to dock. After switching out to another ship far away and then switching back, the problem stopped.

gkexsj6.png

Anyhoo, next step is to pick up the pilot of the spaceplane that's also in Eve orbit, drop the spaceplane to the surface then land the Merry Go Round on Gilly.

Probably fly out another spaceplane or two to meet up at Gilly.

Then back to Kerbin, take on more fuel and perhaps a lander then off to Duna.

i broke kerbal somehow. the structural fuesalage nodes got really messed up, it place without being actually attatched to something... then kerbal locked up, i killed it, restarted it, now it acts as if the modular girder segments are round, and wants to place everything radially, instead of at the 4 angles... when i have angle snap on, anyhow. turned it off, now it automagically works...

anyways, i've been designing a mobile crane so big, i'm going to have to send it to duna in 4 pieces, and use another, smaller crane to assemble it... although, most of the size is the boom, it probably will only be able to lift like 15-20t... i still need to split it into the sub-components.... but it's getting to the point where i'm gonna need another crane to assemble the smaller crane...

Edited by Commissar

Those are pretty sweet!

Where are you getting blue lights?

And that Goliath... I like that a lot! Excellent work.

^_^

LRC TranStar Goliath .craft file

Requires these mods:

Goliath's action groups are limited, as I wanted to keep slot conflicts to a minimum when other ships are docked.

As it is, since the fuel converters don't involve any moving parts, "9" is used to toggle them on and off. I also usually include one amber light as an indicator that the converters are running (they will suck the power down fast!), but this current hull is only a testing design, not yet completed and ready for final deployment.

Beware, those fuel converters are not only power-hungry, they are dog-slow. They will not keep the engines lit all by themselves. They'll refill the tanks, but it takes a lot of time. Goliath is intended to act as a service platform for other, smaller ships, and eventually will become the central processing platform for kethane mining operations (which will of course necessitate further design changes down the course).

I also don't have a properly-functioning launcher for this ship yet. Eventually I will, but for now, the only way to get her up in orbit is through filthy, dirty cheats (first flight was primarily for maneuver and stability testing). :D

I came up with a pretty solid SSTO that uses FAR and KSP Interstellar's precoolers.

I can get the jets working a little bit faster with those precoolers, and once its up to 1900 or so m/s they finally give up and I use two nervas to get the rest of the way.

Its backbone is an orange tank which it can take to orbit completely without using any of the fuel. I'll be sure to show off pics once I've tweaked it so it can take off without going all the way to the water.

I tried to get a 10-tonne payload into orbit, but for some reasons, all the lifters I built failed in the same way. When I started the gravity turn, the rocket always started spinning uncontrollably, with its nose pointing at random directions. Only when even my reliable medium lifter (that can get 40 tonnes into orbit) almost started spinning, I realized that the problem was with the payload, not with the lifters.

The cupola module has 4.5 tonnes of mass and drag coefficient 0.4. When you launch it with a puny little rocket, the module decides that its place should be behind the rocket, not at its nose, and the rocket starts spinning. The solution was to increase the TWR of the rocket at the start of the gravity turn, when the boosters have been dropped and the main fuel tanks are almost full, and to add some stabilizing engines as close to the payload as possible.

More like what I did last week since I was on vacation:

I was upset over getting Bob killed in the rover accident, so to relax I had some guys on a project to get ALL of the Minmus surface landed science. I pretty quickly got a guy killed (might have been Lanfrid) in an EVA accident (investigation committee report blames me for warping, I deny that.) Those were the first guys I got killed in this career started when .23 released.

That got me annoyed so I started over with a clean career, pretty much running a conservative career with no stunts (like a tech 0 launch to hit all the Minmus biomes for example.)

Did a number of missions the highlights of which:

1. Got to EVA push a lander from the Mun, that's always fun.

2. Seemed to totally forget how to fly a ship I'd flown to Minmus 4 times already and crashed Jeb into the Greater Flats. Had him EVA at the moment of crash as the lander (a ridiculous science spamming rig) was coming apart. Then had him wait in the lander can, which happened to be one of the only parts of the thing to survive.

3. Sent Bill Kerman to rescue him and get the science in pretty much the same thing (which has extra cans for storing extra samples.) Again totally forgot how to fly this thing, and those guys ran out fuel coming home.

4. Pushing was no option with this ridiculous thing, so I built a special pusher rig to get them home, which totally worked. It's always fun to do that claw/pusher thing.

5. Today to relax, I had Jeb fly a plane to the Temple Ruins to plant a navigation flag. Landing in that valley was challenging, especially since it was just before dawn, so dark. Successfully taxied the aircraft up to the temple, planted, and took off. At which time the game totally crashed. Restarted the game and the autosaved state was at where Jeb was sitting prepared to take off. The aircraft broke in half when I went to it from the Tracking Center. Well, that's no problem since I can just recover the vessel, except that I could only recover the half that didn't include the cockpit, so Jeb became MIA. He'll count as dead since I do permadeath, but I'll resurrect him since this was a bug event.

Finally, just for fun, I sent Bill to search for Jeb at the temple in the same plane. Not there of course, but Bill did a sweet landing right next to the temple pictured below. I don't know if the look on his face is saying "did you see that sweet landing" or "I'm so glad he's dead since I'm tired of rescuing that guy."

DzfVkKw.png

Jeb finally went to the North Pole without catastrophe and having to abort!

Using the Atlas II rocket, the capsule was able to reach orbit without any problems. On previous missions, the Atlas II malfunctioned almost every time, each time. Needless to say, it has been difficult to find volunteers.

The pictures below were taken after touchdown as mission control couldn't figure out how to turn the cameras on until after the craft was stationary. Atlas III, and later models, thankfully do not need to be manually activated.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Eventually, someone will bring him home. Until then, he will keep an eye out for Santa Kerb.

I'm currently working on making an aquatic research station. :D

Jeb just became the first Kerbal to visit the Mun in my career mode. Collected 410 science with an 8K dv orbiter (with plenty left over for orbital changes). I picked up EVA reports over ten of the biomes, plus two Goo canisters and a ScienceJr. I've gone to the Mun in a modified Kerbal X, but this is the first time I've done it in career. Planning to fly the same ship to Minmus next. With modification the craft should be able to land, too.

I landed my first Kerbal on the Mun without using any mods, despite having the game for a few months. And accidentally crash landed so Jeb is now stuck up there with only his capsule and three lander legs. On an unrelated note, I am planning a Mun base.

I got some custom EVA suits and a sweet skybox with Texture Replacer. Then I spent 3 hours trying to figure out which mod was causing NullObjectReferece spam in my log and making wild copies of my ship fall out of the sky next to me. Still haven't found it.

Be careful with cloning ships! I had a similar problem with a landed Mun base.

I landed a new science module right next to it (PERFECT landing!)

and it looked funny, and was glitching inside of itself.

I quit and had a look at the persistence file, and there weren't exactly copies of the ship itself, but there were AT LEAST FIFTY copies of almost every part on the base all cloned into the same vessel, so I had a 3000+ part ship crammed into the space of a 40 part ship, which would explain the massive lag.

I spent a good HOUR sifting through and deleting all of the cloned parts

and then re-loaded, only to find that the game hung on re-load of the ship, and it just happened again.

And then this happened

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/32027-You-Will-Not-Go-To-Space-Today-Post-your-fails-here%21?p=933229#post933229

It wasn't a mod... it just sort of happened that once, and hasn't happened since.

I now make backups of my persistence file before and after every time I play, though. That was my 3rd corrupted save without a backup in less than a month.

I was busy last night.

Started out by sending my Minmus rover out, landed it right by the border of two biomes. Hit those up, and drove it the 12km to the science base. The wheels weren't aligned quite right (front right and rear left were just slightly higher than the other two), so controlling it was more interesting than expected ;) Not impossible, just sort of a pain. I have a better version of that rover (with fixed wheels and which includes the Gravioli detector I unlocked tonight) that I might send along later.

oxsOnda.jpg

kTSzb3y.jpg

That done, I decided to send an unmanned probe to Eve. It succeeded despite my stupidity ;) I did not deserve to go to space today.

587SUJ1.jpg

I came in a LITTLE high over Eve (okay, ridiculously high). Was thinking on the way that I had way too much fuel on my nuclear engine for an Eve run, and then I entered SoI to see the above. Spent 12 minutes burning that thing to get periapsis within 400k.

eBUPNai.jpg

Somewhere near Periapsis, I noticed I had put my landing stage's adapter and decoupler in the wrong order, a problem staging can't fix. Luckily I had fuel left in the Nuclear engine, so I burned another 6 minutes to establish an orbit, and made sure it touched atmosphere. A few trips around and I was good to go!

V4htlVK.jpg

Waited that out, landed on an excess of parachutes while burning the blocked LV909 out of curiosity/to reduce weight - it neither provided thrust nor burned hot enough to kill the adapter - and scienced ;) Although without goo canisters because I forgot to put them back on when I rearranged something on that probe. Again, I really did not deserve to go to space today ;)

The science I earned I put to use improving my rover.

NtrZdS4.jpg

I decided to take it and the new instruments for a test. Jeb wandered all around the area near KSC, for some science, then decided to go for a mission to the mountains. Gunned it at 20m/s most of the way. Found an equatorial tundra along the way (just past the little sand trap) and finally, after a very long time traveling, managed to climb to a place that counts as mountain. Planted a flag at the top of the foothill I was climbing along the way, named it Jebediah Foothills.

VUeRjAr.jpg

Several times I was ran my battery to nothing just eking out 0.8 m/s climbing that stupid steep hill. So yay for brakes to stop and recharge! Once I got to the top of it, I noticed a longer, but shallower path behind it - part of which I ended up taking to finally find the the mountain biome. Oh well.

2YKwLnM.jpg

This is roughly my path and the path I should have used.

AZgPWtb.jpg

During that trip I also determined that an extra bettery or two can't hurt. So very much stopping to recharge batteries, particularly once I hit the foothills. But I was completely thrilled with how stable it is -- albeit on Kerbin. =)

After doing this, I am just completely in awe of Wooks' patience.

@Klingon Admiral: That's awful! :(

Edited by Tiakatt

I had my first successful kerbaled mission to flyby the Mun. Managed a free return pass at around 80km periapsis.

Then I ran out of fuel during my deorbit burn over Kerbin, 93km peri. Still working on how to get all that science I collected (and the pilot, I guess) on the ground. And I don't have RCS unlocked so sending a tug up is impossible for me right now.