What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've been clustering engines, as i have for the past few weeks.

First with attachnodes on procedural tanks, now with surface attach.

Several engines scaled down and modded to match the new ARM engines (with Stock Rebalance mod) in terms of thrust per square meter, roughly double that of older stock engines.

This combined with procedural engines and -fairings allows for building very rocket-like rockets.

One of my latest with scaled down modified Novapunch Bearcat engines, the five of them good for 11000 kN thrust under a 5m tank, lifting 100Tons to LKO. Home made lateral engine mounts.

2JNJiZd.png

2nd stage:

yQFhX8S.png

150Tons to LKO, 8*2200kN under a 6.25m tank:

5GQUvfc.png

2nd stage, 6* modded and saled down KR-L2, 1600kN each, 5m tank. The 3rd stage has two of those under 3.75m:

CHWnWRL.png

On the pad:

jJZdVBk.png

I was using my reusable science lander, that I forgot to refuel before going back to the surface, and almost collided with the science lab it was formerly docked to. I did catch this on video and had a good chuckle at my near miss, or near hit depending on you look at it.

First post!

Pulled off my first successful LOR (MOR?) mission to the Mun! Technically my fourth trip there and second landing, but this time it was done mostly according to plan, lol.

Trip #1 was a simple orbit-and-return mission with my shiny new Apollo command module.

Trip #2 was a little more interesting...built a lander and brought it along, and was pretty proud of the way I'd staged it. Sadly the rocket was flexing severely during launch from Kerbin and the RCS thrusters were fighting to compensate. We made it, but when I got to the Mun and undocked the lander, I discovered it had no RCS fuel left because of the order in which I'd staged it (and hadn't put a tank on the lander itself). I decided not to risk it so I dumped the lander and went home.

I redesigned the rocket for Trip #3...perched the lander at the top as if I'd already docked with it in Kerbin orbit and blasted off...oscillations went away and we got to the Mun with no problems. Separated, made a pretty white-knuckle landing on the Mun, and had Jeb do all his sciencey stuff. Having never actually even attempted an orbital rendezvous (but read and watched a few tutorials on the topic), it was pretty tense as he lifted off and linked up with the command module...but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. He ran out of fuel for the main engine but had already made the rendezvous, so the CM took over and attempted to complete the docking...I spent ten minutes trying to dock before realizing I had put a docking clamp on the CM but not the lander...derp. So he spacewalked over and we went home.

Trip #4 went very smoothly, with a few tweaks to the rocket and modules to include things like more RCS fuel, rendezvous lights, and bigger batteries. Landed, lifted off again, linked up in orbit, docked, burned back to Kerbin, splashdown. Mission accomplished.

Such a fun game...it's a nice change of pace from the PVP stuff I've been playing lately.

Well, I did my first manual landing/return of one of my spacecraft to KSC (that is, non-MechJeb landing at KSC. I've always needed MJ for KSC). This was particularly tricky, and took some trial and error, because it was a Munar-return trajectory, with almost no fuel left. It was not possible to get into a low orbit first, so it needed to simply re-enter and land. I used most of the returning fuel to adjust inclination on the way in, and a tiny bit to get me closer to KSC once the aerobraking was done.

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-04-29%2022-05-00-49.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-04-29%2022-10-56-69.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-04-29%2022-13-12-94.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-04-29%2022-13-39-75.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-04-29%2022-14-12-11.jpg

Oh yeah, right before this, the lander did a surface rendezvous with another lander. It had landed on Minmus, and came over to the Mun to park next to the other lander, bringing a total of 10 guys out for a group photo.

KSP%202014-04-29%2021-03-49-23.jpg

KSP%202014-04-29%2021-05-10-52.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

Extra large decoupler? Find the part.cfg and remove the PhysicsSignificance line

Oddly enough I hit the space bar again and it fixed itself, but it was funny to watch it trail behind me without snapping. Something exploded when I staged, though the next flight all was well and I was laughing to much to F3 to look and see what the issue was.

This morning, built another science lander, 3 crew, and launched into orbit. Took another ship with 3 crew and two filled hitchhiker containers up to Kerbal Station One to begin permanent residence, and possibly raise station height, or take it out to the mun.

Man these struts are amazing!! They stretched 17.5km all because my decoupler didn't decouple LOL. I was in the process of testing out the KSA D.E.R.P (Dres Exploration Recovery Pod) MKI and had this weird thing happen, and no I did not have the debug cheats on it actually strung itself out like this LOL.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ok4rh1.png

I've been experiencing this as well with that kerbodyne decoupler as well, and it's hit or miss. I have no mods installed, completely stock KSP....

0SOOeIe.jpg

Of course... I would be flying a solar powered plane when a bloody eclipse happened. Never seen one before and yet, just when I thought my bad luck had run out (Kraken killed my car, my mun rocket exploded, and I made a beautiful SSTO*) I get an eclipse that shuts off my charging system and forces me to land.

*Single Stage to Ocean

http://i.imgur.com/0SOOeIe.jpg

Of course... I would be flying a solar powered plane when a bloody eclipse happened. Never seen one before and yet, just when I thought my bad luck had run out (Kraken killed my car, my mun rocket exploded, and I made a beautiful SSTO*) I get an eclipse that shuts off my charging system and forces me to land.

*Single Stage to Ocean

Hehehe x^D

Here are today's career mode shenanigans:

I sent my most scientifically-rewarding mission, to Duna. Once the ship got to Duna orbit though, I found out I have insufficient equipment.

So I quickly sent a probe with an equipment-box to the ship, to take care of this problem:

http://youtu.be/9OarOuMzVJ0

The rest of the Duna mission:

CkZs7mX.jpg

I feel bad for not making a video of it... it was damn fun... x-D

My best Duna mission ever.

Hehehe x^D

Here are today's career mode shenanigans:

I sent my most scientifically-rewarding mission, to Duna. Once the ship got to Duna orbit though, I found out I have insufficient equipment.

So I quickly sent a probe with an equipment-box to the ship, to take care of this problem:

By equipment you mean a Kerbal? That is quite funny.

Hello,

So today I did my most complex and the longest mission I've ever done. I flew from Kerbin to Eve, where I landed two probes, and then to Gilly, where I landed with Jeb, and then returned to Kerbin! It was real fun designing a rocket, and thinking about everything that it will have to do :). I think I made it too good, as I came back with about 3-4k deltaV left :D.

And the hardest part was lift off, before I added more struts (without them, rocket was bending at around 10km, with no way of controlling it):)

Please have a look at my journey, and share any tips if you see anything weird :)

(I got about 3k science from this trip and I think I will be very close to finishing my career tree!)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I decided to try out KSPRC, KSP Renaissance Compilation for those unfamiliar with it.

Here are some screen shots of me ending basic Mün lander with it.

oP2HqQb.png

Do to a strange bug, the 3rd stage did not detach but registered as debris, causing me to have to haul it through the transfer burn.

HiAg85T.png

yoqGqmo.png

Sadly the game crashed before I could land it.

Edited by Robotengineer
Extra info

Today I finally got to play KSP again after not getting any time for a week or so. So I made some derpships - er, ran some SIMULATIONS - while waiting for my Minmus station to get to... Minmus. And then I remembered that I hadn't yet sent anything to "high over the Sun" (read: leave Kerbin's SOI for 30 seconds to get Science and then run back home), so I sent a grossly overdesigned armored ship complete with twice as many science modules as there was any point in bringing. And quadruple the necessary amount of LV-Ns. Why? Testing purposes. I intend to later implement similar components in my next interplanetary ship, which I'll be making sure is a beast.

Edited by parameciumkid

finally brought 2 stations to mun so jeb and his friends have a home now:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/uc5Al/embed"></iframe>

Edited by Tuareg

WXY5P3i.png

working on a low gravity gait for my biped walker, I wanted to try it out on the mun, so i stuck it on top of a rocket and sent it up. it didn't work, the rocket is too much out of balance. i think im going to have to send two at once to make it balance properly.

Ran some flight characteristics testing with TranStar's latest HSOC shuttle entry: 108 "Shattersky"

*pictures removed to reduce quote size*

Quite the speed demon, she is! :D

Whoa! May I ask what parts pack you used to get that cockpit and those engines? Spaceplane fanatic here wants to have more options.