What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtdXNocm9vbTIwMDZzb3RoZXJ0aGluZ3MxfGd4OjM0OTk0MDkwMjQ2MTg4NTc

I tested the hardware on-orbit for the Asteroid Long-Term Mission. The test was to determine the engines' functionality in space and the sufficiency of the heat shield for reentry. It helped to test this because I realized I had no way of attaching the habitats to the asteroid, as they would just shoot away when decoupled and they don't have any engines.

Discovered that the island airfield is kinda creepy in the dark...

lmfuqoU.jpg

Anomaly Surveyor contract pack popped up an early airfield investigation. Fortunately it turns out that Val enjoys long hikes and watching the sun set from the top of mountains. Additional planets courtesy of New Horizons.

I started building an interplanetary transfer stage for a Tylo mission in my career mode game.

transfer_stage_1.jpeg

transfer_stage_2.jpeg

transfer_stage_3.jpeg

Immediately after the launch, the transfer stage is attached to a small module that will keep it alive until the rest of the ship arrives. I kind of forgot that nuclear engines no longer have thrust vectoring, so I may have to add reaction wheels or RCS thrusters somewhere.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Worked a bit on my LKO station. Life support for 40 Kerbals, crew takes 23. Quite a lot of the parts have been manufactured in space at the EPL workshop/KAS workshop modules, then attached with KIS. It's pretty easy to ship up more rocket parts.

Now i need to add even more lights, and a few engines, and get it to Minmus, where it can act as a refueling station / factory. Cost so far is about 18 million Spesos, if I'd bought all the resources instead of mining.

Today, inspired by The 5th Generation Fighter challenge, I made a fighter that, when taking off from Cape Canaveral, was capable of reaching Cape Verde. Here are some pics.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Note how on some of these pictures the engine is 1K from exploding. With an autopilot this was completely sustainable, however I chose to stay at 3K below threshold most of the way just to be sure.

And I'm sure this thing is actually capable of more.

Today was the final launch of Hiyori in support of the Duna mission, in more ways than one. Today's cargo was the final load of supplies and last minute fixes:

5q2NBgL.png

Megselle will relocate the massive solar arrays and then assemble new docking adapters from parts brought up by Hiyori. Unfortunately, not all the extra parts will fit in the storage containers, so a heavy load along with numerous unneeded parts from the Duna ship is going back to Kerbin. Hiyori hasn't been tested with this much down-mass.

jf0teJk.png

Initially, re-entry goes fairly well, but she's way off course and sets down in a hilly area near the space center.

CxVApic.png

The terrain and heavy load prove to be too much, and Hiyori is a total loss.

X2MAgii.png

But the mission must go on. The final preparations complete, A-70, Papi, brings the first four crew to the ship.

BihIAZ6.png

Elsewhere in Kerbin orbit, the final crew of the Highlab completes their tour. Papi's sister ship, Suu, docked for over 60 days, now de-orbits the small station before returning to the space center for a quick refit.

89SudUp.png

For some reason, Highlab doesn't heat up enough during reentry.

prf4by3.png

Instead of burning up, it crashes to the ground nearly intact. Someone is getting one L of a littering bill.

PFp077V.png

Suu is turned around in record time, and brings the last of the crew to the waiting Duna ship. Papi and Suu will also serve as crew landers/return vehicles at Duna.

3M1mrC7.png

With all in readiness, the Duna ship uses the meager fuel from the asteroid to depart for Minmus, where she'll be fully fueled.

s7qKI3d.png

Burning for nearly 20 straight minutes, things get quite toasty.

ZhIr7Sl.png

But the ship performs well and is soon on its way.

9v3PrKf.png

Approaching Minmus, Bonnie Kerman retrieves some last minute science.

Vu7AFFY.png

Several long weeks of fueling sorties remain.

From yesterday: I did a rescue mission and while EVAing Allison over to the rescue ship this came up:

Qf2ec07h.png

I also made my first big spaceplane. It's an SSTO and grabs things from the orbit and brings them back: Reentry was a bit harsh, CoL and CoM weren't good aligned and the lift area is too low. Version 2 has bigger wings in the front and flys much much better.

Have a look at the Recovery:

GVLKfxWh.jpg

I was meandering through my PC settings today searching for something when I stumbled upon "32-bit operating system, x64-based processor" and was shocked, really shocked. Since I got this PC years ago it came with 32-bit OS and I never thought of possibility of my CPU being 64-bit...well, seems it is time to invest in a bit more memory and install x64 version of my OS.

In KSP today was a quiet day, literally, as most of time was spent in VAB and SPH with occasional trip to the launchpad/runway for some ground tests. Basically, I am trying to squeeze few missions that have Duna and/or Ike as destination in one mission and am trying to do that with as small craft as possible because I don't have large docking ports and I don't really like the idea of navigating a spaghetti craft halfway through solar system

I'm sending this wobblemonster krakenbait to Jool. The fun thing in it that it's an ad-hoc craft I assembled from various modules remaining from other missions, only like 20% of it was designed for this specific trip. Bloody inefficient I must say, but dV is enough. I has 6 engineers and 4 scientists and two tourists I completely forgot about like a year ago. Kinda' the useful half of my space-program is on it, so I took a hard-copy of the save, just in case.

It starts to wobble hard after like a minute of burning, but I'm taking my chances. If I fail badly, I can always rearrange it into two ships. But if it makes it one piece, and if one of those parts manages to do a powered landing on Laythe, I'll might even consider a Jool challenge entry. Guess it's more fun doing it on a whim than actually palnning it.

180 days 'till launch. I should make a big mental note about the tourists, all they wanted is an LKO trip - they already got more than they payed for. k_tongue.gif

DYyT4Mi.png

Edited by Evanitis

Been working on a simple light cargo SSTO capable of transporting satellites into LKO... On her maiden flight I pushed it close to the limit in atmo for the rapiers, resulting in the pre-coolers and intakes glowing red hot by the time I hit 70k altitude:

05472F8F7194EE357A5171F54D4C32CEB0407CAA

Also working on expanding exhaust plumes, still has some tweaking to be done, but it's looking pretty promising at this point :)

D240C32744539710484816AE3EFBF71FA8A9BE6A

Today I managed to combine 4 decently paying (cash and science) contracts into a single mission.

1. Gather science data from Mun surface

2. Put satellite into polar orbit of Mun

3. Take temperature readings (3 locations near the north pole plus two more close together near the big crater)

4. Gather science from around Mun

Only netted me about 80 science and probably 200,000 kredits but it was enough to save my failing budget and get me just barely one more item on the tech tree! I'm saved!!!

Setting up a massive oredrillingcampaign on Minmus:

9aJWCs0.png

Found a nice place with high yield...

After doing some math i can drill day and night, even at highnoon, fuelcells make my day...

A Fuellifter in the left, the mobile Drillingrig with Converter and a mobile Tankrig in the background to the right, waiting for load. (I made this system from some similar RL experience... :wink:)

I designed and tested the mission module for my career mode Tylo mission.

tylo_mission_module_1.jpeg

tylo_mission_module_2.jpeg

Like in most of my interplanetary ships, the command module isn't equipped for atmospheric reentry, so the crew must be retrieved with another ship. Maybe I'll build a spaceplane for that.

I'd been waiting for TAC (Thunder Aerospace Corporation) Life Support to update to 1.0.4 - but went ahead and tested my 'Soylent' Solar Algal Arrays today. All works fine. TAC makes the Kerbals consume Food, Water, & Oxygen producing wastes and the Algae arrays eat it all up producing 'edible' drinkable and breathable stuff. They also work as decorations.

ZsLS8sx.png

Started working through career mode of version 1.03. Found a way to get ships and stations into space with minimum science tech (under 140kt limits for launch pad). Requires 1 or 2 refueling s to get to Mun, Minmus etc. But happy with results (See below):

3LxQunM.jpg

dsKDWJb.png

Also played with building a jet that looks like a jet - Seems to do quite well and take a lot of punishment as well as STOL abilities :-)

xWqfKdm.png

Nothing special fly be around mimnus than go to mun

My mission was to collect science around mimnus and test TT-70 Radial Decoupler on sub-orbital flight around mun at 10 000 to 20 altitude, but the game doesn't acknowledged that, despite it was on collision curse with Mun on purpose!