What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did some experiments on how fast you can fly without air hogging. Before flameout, my rather pointless one-kerbal spaceplane with one turbojet and one ram intake managed to reach surface speed 2190 m/s at level flight at 33 km, which corresponds to a 47x32 km orbit. With less fuel and without all the extra mass required to function as a spaceplane, even higher speeds could have been reached.

I did some experiments on how fast you can fly without air hogging. Before flameout, my rather pointless one-kerbal spaceplane with one turbojet and one ram intake managed to reach surface speed 2190 m/s at level flight at 33 km, which corresponds to a 47x32 km orbit. With less fuel and without all the extra mass required to function as a spaceplane, even higher speeds could have been reached.

Of course I had to try.

turbojet_test1.jpg

That thing reached surface speed 2278 m/s. The problem in flying faster than orbital speed is that your vertical speed keeps rising, so you have to pitch down to achieve level flight. This in turn limits your top speed and causes flameout to occur at a lower altitude. Eventually the ship managed to escape.

Maybe I should have launched it west instead of the usual east.

The problem in flying faster than orbital speed is that your vertical speed keeps rising, so you have to pitch down to achieve level flight.

Have you tried using pitch/roll/yaw trim (Alt+WASDQE) to control your path? That way, your control surface deflections shouldn't be as great, thus - in theory - not braking your vessel as much...

"Da plane, da plane......."

In case some are too young to remember this line from Tattoo here you go. I do this if I am in an airport sometimes just to see what people do LOL.

BTW I love the name you gave it, it makes the debris titles even more fitting :sticktongue:

Found myself messing up a Minmus landing, hit f5 to go back to before I undocked my lander. Found out my last quicksave was three days ago. On the bright side, I know which of my 'bright ideas' from those days don't work and can do them right this time.

Ran my single launch, kethane enabled RSS Mars mission through some tests, and successfully launched the entire payload into LEO.

It looks like the mission might be doable =D

The whole package weights 91 tons, so it's also the largest useful payload I've launched in RSS :)

marsMission.jpg

marsMissionLauncher.jpg

Edited by maccollo

Have you tried using pitch/roll/yaw trim (Alt+WASDQE) to control your path? That way, your control surface deflections shouldn't be as great, thus - in theory - not braking your vessel as much...

The ship has no wings or control surfaces, so it has the same drag in all orientations in stock aerodynamics. There was another issue with drag, however. While the mass of the air intake is negligible, the drag coefficient of an open intake is so large that the intake actually generated a significant fraction of the total drag. In stock aerodynamics, parts with high drag coefficients try to get behind the center of mass, which often causes uncontrollable spinning. The probe core did not have enough torque to keep ship in control, so I had to add the heavy reaction wheels.

Anyway, the real problem was that if you fly faster than the orbital velocity, you have to use part of the thrust to fight your momentum, or you start gaining altitude. In other words, the gravity is too weak to keep you flying level at such speeds, so you need negative lift or some other source of additional downward force to be able to do that. If you use thrust, you lose a small fraction of horizontal thrust, and your air intakes work a bit worse, as they no longer point in the right direction. In this case, the effect was not too big, however. Flying west, the top speed was essentially the same, as I had to use thrust to fight the gravity. Going north, I was able to fly pretty close to the orbital velocity, and the ship reached surface speed 2287 m/s.

Today, I made a station to house my retired Kerbals (max 2 missions each, unless I like them). I use the Final Frontier mod to help me keep track.

I wanted it to look different, so I messed around with some stuff till I found something I liked.

57072b24b86f29f85f3aa259250a5a13.png

I used the small adapters with part clipping to give a sort of ribbed tube effect, which to my mind allows the Kerbals to pass through to visit their friends in other hab compartments.

Then I found this guy.

b0696a81e43fd35f29a71d4acbf9527d.png

He's going in my sig.

Yesterday I launched the crew habitat for Elysium Station comprised of cupola, crew quarters and a science lab.

1024x576.resizedimage

Piloted by Jeb with a crew of 4 more victims brave Kerbonaughts along for the ride, they reached orbit without a hitch and docking with the station core went smoothly.

1024x576.resizedimage

The next job was to send up a tanker to refuel the station.

1024x576.resizedimage

Elysium Station now contains liquid and mono-propellant fuel storage, electricity generation and storage, cupola, crew quarters, science lab and four docking arms. With the station complete for now Jeb admired the view of Kerbin from the cockpit.

1024x576.resizedimage

Yesterday I launched the crew habitat for Elysium Station comprised of cupola, crew quarters and a science lab. (...) With the station complete for now Jeb admired the view of Kerbin from the cockpit.

Gotta love a view like that! :D What pod did you use in the last picture?