What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I found out my SSTO does not have the right coupler to hook to a shielded one, it has the jr. one and it is too small :mad:. All that time to get it to meet up with the space station for nothing.

Make an adaptor. Jr docking port > little truss > medium docking port. I tend to keep docking adaptors at my stations just in case of hiccups like this.

Built a cheap SSTO orbiting probe from a description in the Challange forum. It worked even better as described after removing duplicate parts and balancing the remaining on the Stayputnik.

You're welcome.

Ranger Able and Ranger Fox are headed to their respective targets now and I've got a Sandstone probe in orbit of Duna. Tried building said probe SRV Ron mentioned in his post and it worked as advertised (his changes made it cheaper unless I'm mistaken - that was the point of the challenge).

Tried to launch that same probe again with a Rapier engine just for lulz. I think I like the Rapier but KER doesn't give delta-V info for it, which is kinda annoying.

I docked the first "tanker/supply"-ship as a training exercise on my Experimental Space Station, which is basically a fuel tank, a big RCS-System, solar arrays and some docking ports at the moment. And, I found out how to transfer fuel, RCS-Propellant and even electricity between the vessels (latter is of course pointless for a space station which is self-powered, but it is good to know that you CAN transfer electricity if needed).

Next step for the Space Station is to bring some Kerbals to the ESS, aaand exercising docking much much more, my rendesvouz & docking-style is a little crude at the moment :)

bPMqzQi.png

O2LPr8G.png

Make an adaptor. Jr docking port > little truss > medium docking port. I tend to keep docking adaptors at my stations just in case of hiccups like this.

I would but it would may hit the ground on launch, easier to just switch out the docking port. The station right now isn't done either this was a test run, but I found an issue with the SSTO design by doing this as well....win win.

Today I redid some of the K.I.S.S. (Kerbin Interstellar Snack Station) and put it into orbit on my test save. I equipped it with a tug system onto it after getting it into orbit, in the event I want to take a version of this to another planet.

vr02.png

My next thing I want to add to it is my "tour bus", once I have modified it some to make it a bit more docking friendly. Mostly this will be used to store Kerbals in orbit so when a mission returns I do not have to go back down and recover the vessel. It will have small lander cans that I am dubbing return pods to send those who have ventured forth to return to the surface. I am hoping to use this on the save I use to film for Youtube in order to get rid of the launching of ships, as watching the same launch gets kind of boring even for me LOL.

Here is the "tour bus" on Minmus:

0ebg.png

Finally "updated" to .23.

Installed FAR. I also pulled off the best spaceplane landing I ever done. I was experimenting and had 3 kerbals onboard. Made it to 51K, and flamed out. (not enough oxidizer for rapier engines). ended up going into a spin, but I "recovered" enough where the spaceplane was falling rear first. turned off SAS/RCS and manually tried to recover the craft. Ended up hitting the ocean at 46m/sec rear first with a few engines on intake air mode, and saving all 3 kerbals. I'm done with KSP for the night! :)

Was trying to sleep, but decided to try and get my small SSTO to the space station. I took off from KSC and got into orbit with no trouble, then I sent a tug to go and push the SSTO to the station.....this is where the problems started. First came the cross feed draining all the fuel from the SSTO, though there wasn't much left, and me forgetting to shut off the SSTO's engines. I think a different tug design is needed for interplanetary trips, also any way to kill cross feed without clicking on the docking port? Second bad thing to happen was when I went in for docking, I had the wrong port on the tug selected nearly causing the SSTO to rip off one of the solar panels. So now Bill, Bob, and Jeb are all having snack, although Jeb is stuck in the SSTO since the station does not have room right now for three Kerbals :D

9wik.png

Finally rescued two crews who were victims of underfueled, overambitious missions with my first proper asparagus rocket attempt. Still got to go and get Bill, who's floating just outside Kerbin's SOI.

Edited by Vat

Today for the 1st time I made a good aeroplane & for the 1st time I've landed one! Thanks to the new update, we can now see how emptying fuel tanks shift weight centre, and any fuel tank can be used as a plane tank by emptying the oxidizer. One might think that, even if you empty the oxidizer from the rocket tank, it still might be too heavy, but no! not at all! The relative weight is about the same as the plane fuselages!

So here's my Freakishly AWESOME aeroplane :D :

h3EjMss.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Overfloater