What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got all confused, tried a few RCS personal transports and SSTOs which all flopped! I've not really landed elsewhere aside from Eve, once, and feel very lost at times, still!

Sad story is sad :(

I loaded up my secondary career mode save and seen I had Jeb in orbit around Mun, so I decided to land him and get him home. I was also testing out science alarm, and after much fussing I finally got it to work. Here is a shot of the ship Jeb landed in the Far Side Carter of Mun.

1253jw2.png

But not to be out done Bobfurt decided to go to Dres, and I learned a lesson while doing this as well. You do not need a low periapsis when encountering Dres, also when doing this mission it might be wise to load the tug with a crew before launch :(

15r06pw.png

Edited by Liowen

Testing a lightweight lander and rover that will eventually go to Moho. The lander is OK, I stuck it on the roof of the VAB after a few tries, but the rover rolled then ran away from my Kerbal. I think I'll have to add a probe core just so I can apply the brakes to stop it doing that.

Testing a lightweight lander and rover that will eventually go to Moho. The lander is OK, I stuck it on the roof of the VAB after a few tries, but the rover rolled then ran away from my Kerbal. I think I'll have to add a probe core just so I can apply the brakes to stop it doing that.

You could just lock the breaks before setting it free, that should eliminate the issue without the need for a probe core on it. Although having one will make life easier for when you for get to set the breaks on a hill :wink:

I got able to play KSP again! :D The Kraken has been erradicated again and it shall not attack until the end of my days at kerbin!

And i also got able to make some new modules for my duna base! (Including a new Rocket plane Much safer than the last one i made for the task of crew transfers)

I sent a probe to Duna... and landed that nicely. This evening has been spent, first working out the kinks in launching Apollo-style CM and Lander to the Mun... And then, figuring out how to pop the fairings so I can extract the lander.....

The ship I used to go to Tylo and Eeloo was a successful design with a couple of minor flaws: too little battery capacity and no RCS in the lander/transfer stage. Earlier I had returned the lander to Kerbin, and today I launched the replacement.

ship_upgrade_5.jpeg

As soon as I had launched the replacement lander, I realized that I had exceeded the payload capacity of the rocket by around 50%. The upper stage was probably too weak to do anything useful, so it was time to improvise something.

ship_upgrade_6.jpeg

Given that the payload was a single-stage Tylo lander, there was really no need for the upper stage at all. After seeing a Poodle and four nuclear engines working together, I wondered a bit why the exhaust from the nuclear engines is so exaggerated. After all, the Poodle is almost as powerful as the four nukes together.

ship_upgrade_7.jpeg

ship_upgrade_8.jpeg

ship_upgrade_9.jpeg

Now the ship just needs a crew and a destination.

Built this today and I have to say, I've fallen in love. It has done everything I've needed it to AND returned to Kerbin after each task. No refueling, no docking, no hassle. 422 parts (I could easily reduce that to 390). I even strapped on more unneeded boosters (and RCS thruster's) just for fun (and to get a small amount more fuel efficiency (something it doesn't even need)).

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j350/jas1126/KSPShip_zps19bfecce.png' alt='KSPShip_zps19bfecce.png'>

Edited by Jas1126

Landed my Explorer One interplanetary ship on Minmus without breaking anything, making it a perfect museum piece. RCS and SAS were quite capable of not letting it tilt over, lowering it softly onto its keel was both possible and time consuming.

During the landing the nukes almost depleted all of the remaining Kethane (they/it works differently in my universe :) ), so after shutting them down radiation hazard should be close to zero.

But: The small probe I had to dock to the ship to steer it without a crew cannot be undocked. Poor little bugger, he wont make it home then ...

In other news: Built a spaceplane that attained orbit!

Landing though ... needs practice? :P

I designed and deployed my first Rover. It's a neat contraption, and it drove just fine on Kerbal. I sent it to Minmus expecting to do great things.

The first thing that happened was the wheels all got hung up in the landing gear assembly when I decoupled. It would seem that using RCS as a sky crane is a bad idea. Fortunately, I was able to untangle the mess by retracting the landing gear. It took a few hundred delta to get the Rover out of turtle mode, but it was worth it when the Ops room exploded into a standing ovation. Things quickly got quiet again, however. When we extended the landing gear, we forgot about the push, and the lander tipped over on top of the Rover when it came back down. (I didn't think it was That steep of a slope). The kerbs managed to right the rocket through the profligate discharge of pack RCS, being that the rocket was designed with a minimalist philosophy.

So Billy Bob hops on the Rover finally and does the first set of polar experiments. Somehow, I managed to use my brain and stowed the experiments in the capsule before heading for the polar lowlands.

Off we go! It seems that a good driving Rover on Kevin is less than or not equal to a good driving Rover on Minmus. But it's OK. Every time I get space borne, I just turn on the SAS module and right her up. No problem. Climbing steep Hills is a breeze in this baby, since I can get 40+ ms with the RCS going. Actually hit 50 m/s downhill, when tragedy struck. An unplanned launch event caused by a wheel interfacing with a shear rock surface created an uncontrolled roll with a vector of negative ascent. Poor Billy Bob was sitting in the command chair frantically trying to turn on the SAS... Then he was just... Gone man. Just freaking gone.

Lab section says he probably didn't feel anything.

Mathias and Jeb launched right away, doing a fly over of the impact site. Nothing

Since the Rover lost 2 wheels and all its mono tanks, we figured it would be a good time to scrub. Quick burn to escape, then a burn to Kerbin.

Wait. Why aren't my batteries charging?

Oh crop, it looks like the generator got pulled off when the Rover fell down the side of the rocket. Sigh.

It's going to be a long day.

But we have enough juice to finish the mission, just have to leave SAS off. Better make sure there's nothing else wrong.. Omg where's the parachute?

I got a couple more asteroids down to KSC. The image below is a C, but I also have a D next to the VAB that I need to reposition. :)

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202014-04-23%2019-21-01-41.jpg

And the D is repositioned, so now I have a nicely illuminated rock garden. (The D is on the left, C on the right, but they look like they're around the same size):

KSP%202014-04-24%2019-59-31-38.jpg

I moved it with a rocket-propelled bulldozer.

KSP%202014-04-24%2019-27-45-49.jpg

Got home the biggest science mission I have ever done, and it payed off!

http://i.imgur.com/fKYuIfx.jpg

Wow, that's huge! Nice mission. :)

Damn, Necrobones, that's some clever engineering

-amazing funky disco lights

-RCS packs on asteroids

-Rocket powered bulldozer... x^D (how well does it work by the way?)

---

By now I have optimized my Munar rocket, I think it has enough delta-v to hop all over the entire Minmus.

I called it Luna:

o3rCEFX.jpg

Today I resent a mission to Duna. After areo capturing at 12.5km, no KER or website used to make get this figure, I got into an orbit that needed only minor tweaking to circularize. I then deployed my lander from the maned tug in order to set up for a landing. Once near the surface I deployed the chutes and slowed down to 6.5m/s.

10d9ysz.png

Upon landing I decided to I need to test out my science deletion system (IE decouplers and smal SBR's to get them away from the craft.).

Before:

24lv98o.png

After:

qq5tn7.png

After seeing that the system worked it was time to go back and dock with the tug and plan for the return trip. I finally docked to the lander without mechjeb, so all in all I would say today was a good day overall. I did not get pictures of the docking sorry.

Damn, Necrobones, that's some clever engineering

-amazing funky disco lights

-RCS packs on asteroids

-Rocket powered bulldozer... x^D (how well does it work by the way?)

Thanks! :)

The bulldozer actually worked pretty well, on its third version (and was almost there on the 2nd version, which was in that screenshot. Right after that, I made tweaks and then continued). Here are a few more angles. The trick was getting enough struts into it (when is that not a good solution?)

KSP%202014-04-24%2019-40-29-59.jpg

KSP%202014-04-24%2019-41-42-25.jpg

KSP%202014-04-24%2019-44-59-49.jpg

I improved my cargo SSTO that I use in career...

gfPtNlv.jpg

...and then I upgraded my crew bus (apologies about the lack of pictures of the entire launcher - it's basically just a 2m ARM engine/tank combo with an X200-16 on top of that as a first stage, then the booster you see below is the second).

0BtnW0c.jpg

LyJHLwy.jpg

I use the extended version of the S2 cockpit IVA, so the crew bus carries four, and the SSTO eight (though I need to add a docking port, which I stupidly forgot in the iteration shown at the top of this post).

Edited by SufficientAnonymity
Words. It's far to easy to forget some of them.

I tested a design to pick up random bits of debris on the mun and minmus. Its a box that uses a winch to open and close it. i loaded it with kerbals... same as debris right? ha ha ha I used KAS and TAC parts.

attempt one was mostly successful.. or would have been successful had i not been messing around with the winch and opened the box mid flight. It was fine... the kerbals just stuck to the bottom of the box from the g forces. then when the fuel ran out they all continued upwards..... second attempt was also mostly successful. everyone survived but one managed to clip through the bottom of the box. he just bounced a couple times on the ocean and then the ship landed on top of him. but lived!!! hazaaa! time to take it to the mun!!!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

that's a very nice rock garden NecroBones!

Edited by Cerberus738