What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I continued my real-world inspired career save; I have it set so that money gains are at 60%, monetary losses are at 150%, reputation is at 100% and reputation losses are at 250%.

I also maxed out all of the science so I wouldn't have to bother with any of that, and tacked on a few realism mods (TAC LS, FinePrint, FAR, and Deadly Reentry, and thinking about KAS).

Naturally, I'm not reverting (though I kept the option in case of bugs).

All of that makes things quite satisfying to complete, and it's very compelling. I find myself using probes whenever it's reasonable, and it made me create my first cargo SSTO! (Granted, I made it a little bit too early, and a single mishap could have bankrupted me, but hey, I figured I might as well start going 100% reusable as soon as possible!).

I managed to get a very small probe to Minmus, and land safely :3

I really like this style, because:

A) It breathes new life into a game that was getting a bit stale.

B) It's a lot more management, which plays to my strengths.

And C) It forces me to deal with problems.

My Minmus probe was almost out of fuel during landing, but then I realized I had the monoprop I used to push it out of the cargo bay, and landed with that!

I recommend it to anyone who needs a change of pace, and doesn't enjoy science grinding :D

Finished my latest Laythe delivery.

This plane isn't particularly good.

Look how floppy it is! And my new fuel system is awkward, manual fuel transferring was required. I'll just call this one an "experimental"... yeah xD

Here I learned why NOT to make tilting tails. In flight, when the tail flaps tilt, the tail bends the other way and counteracts the flaps. Now I see why it would have been smarter to make the cockpit tilt instead - when the flaps tilt, the cockpit would bend along with the flaps and increase their effect.

I have NO idea why anyone would wanna fly that... "thing", but craft file is available in my repository.

Had a busy night last night.

Redesigned my spaceplane from the night before to something the numbers said should work better with no frills and launched Bill in it. He's currently scheduled to rendezvous with a satellite out past the Mun's orbit in seven days; I'm hoping he has the delta-V to make it back to Kerbin at this point, and if he does he should have enough fuel to maneuver in the atmo once he gets back. I was farting around with this mission most of the night from time to time, doing other things and coming back to it as necessary.

Retreived Camman Kerbin from orbit with Jeb in the Chickenhawk 7. Folded the approach on the runway. Tore off a wing but balanced. Slammed on the brakes. Tore off the other wing. Went off the end of the runway at 20 m/s. Picked up speed once I hit the slope. Hit the water at 12 m/s. Ripped off the R.A.P.I.E.R. Discovered a Mk-2 Cockpit makes a pretty cool looking boat in and of itself. I wish I'd taken a screenie...

Took Jeb up again in a survey plane for a FinePrint contract, hit the nav points and came around to land on the runway. Was doing fine but bobbled on final and instead of coming around for another pass (like a real pilot would've done; I still had plenty of fuel) I tried to force it, folded the landing and tore a wing off. Jeb ejected safely this time while his plane slammed into one of the R&D buildings. Fortunately the damn thing didn't destroy anything.

So far I haven't seen much of the purported savings you usually see when it comes to spaceplanes...I'm thinking I need to set out my usual ILS in addition to using NavUtilities. At this point I've got enough tech unlocked to unleash the Hellhound on the world.

Also set up a nine-Kerbal space station and a satellite in a funny orbit around Mun, again for FinePrint contracts. Actually read the instructions this time on the satellite; no repair missions needed for that one...

Screwed up the final rendezvous of the Magellan mission. Kerbal on EVA with no fuel, detachable capsule with no monopropellant, leaving me only the big and unwieldy main ship to try and get the ladder in the right place. And then I had camera issues, switching from the kerbal to the main ship was putting the camera *inside* said main ship right when I needed to look and rotate fast.

Must be one of the trickiest things I've ever done in KSP, but now that kerbal is onboard, and the return burn set up.

15440806168_1c8a1c25b1_o.png

Yes, that's a solar retrograde escape trajectory. Near Future = lol delta-V

After many trials, tribulations, and added struts, I got my first manned mission sent to Minmus in RSS. My grand plan of recovering my first stage was foiled by the first stage having too much dV and burning up on reentry, but otherwise, I launched beautifully into a 130x150 km orbit with little wasted dV, and set up my Minmus transfer. I had made but a single mission-killing miscalculation.

In stock, it takes just over a week to get to Minmus; a single small TAC life support canister is more than enough to see a Kerbal to and from there. In 6.4x RSS, however, the transit time each way is ~22 days, and at least two cans would be needed.

Bill is safe, however, thanks to having more than enough delta-V to cancel the Minmus transfer the power of revert-to-VAB.

I went to the Mun. It was a lot bigger than it used to be.

big_mun_1.jpeg

big_mun_2.jpeg

The CSM completed the last 400 m/s of the transfer burn after quickly separating from the transfer stage and turning around.

big_mun_3.jpeg

big_mun_4.jpeg

big_mun_5.jpeg

big_mun_6.jpeg

big_mun_7.jpeg

big_mun_8.jpeg

I had around 1200 m/s of delta-v left out of the original 4400 m/s after returning to orbit. Apparently the delta-v chart was quite pessimistic.

big_mun_9.jpeg

6.4x Kerbin works surprisingly well with stock engines and fuel tanks.