What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yeah I figured it out. I was tired when i posted that last night and didn't even check it after the post or anything. I Do the SRB burn starting at around 18-20k where the atmosphere is still thick enough to provide stability, and this burn will get me almost to 75x75 orbit, (it might even work to get to orbit 100%, I've jsut never been efficient enough with it) and then kick in the liquid rocket engines for 10-15 seconds to circularize. Left with just over 1 km/s of dv.

Something that I always suspected, and was confirmed when I started looking at the numbers for the three stock SRBs, is that the new NASA/ARM/KD25k SRB is really weak, thrust-wise. The other SRBs are pretty powerful compared to everything else you've unlocked in the tech-tree, at the time that you get them, and they also have better TWRs (and thus shorter burn times). But the KD25k feels almost useless in normal play, unless you stack a lot of them on your rocket. They're meant to accompany the 2.5m and 3.75m parts, and yet the thrust is only equivalent to the Skipper (and I noticed in all of this, that the Skipper was nerfed at some point, since it used to have 800 thrust, but that's another topic).
I've never really felt that way myself. Compared to the smaller SRBs it carries more fuel compared to its thrust giving lower full TWR, but the empty TWR is actually a shade above the BACC (but much less than the RT-10). It gives three times the thrust of any 1.25 m liquid engine, and clusters of four and seven beat the LFB and the quad SSME cluster by around 30-40%, so thrust is not something it's lacking I feel.

@NecroBones

Those are very nice SRB and something that the stock game actually needs ( it looks like the devs never heard about the Polaris and all the subsequent naval US missiles... :D ). In fact the only thing that I can point to that collection is the lack of a 0,625m SRB ( for upper stages or very low weight payloads ) , but the ones you make look good and seem actually stocklike.

Also, those R5 are really sweet looking ;)

I've never really felt that way myself. Compared to the smaller SRBs it carries more fuel compared to its thrust giving lower full TWR, but the empty TWR is actually a shade above the BACC (but much less than the RT-10). It gives three times the thrust of any 1.25 m liquid engine, and clusters of four and seven beat the LFB and the quad SSME cluster by around 30-40%, so thrust is not something it's lacking I feel.

Some good points, but I just never liked feeling like I needed to stack them in quad-clusters, compared to individual RT-10 or BACC boosters earlier in the career. If they had higher thrust, it could be tuned downward to meet your needs, but you can't tweak them upward, so I feel they're limited.

All personal opinion, of course. ;) Too each their own, for sure! :)

Edited by NecroBones

I finally built a single-launch mun construction base. Inside those structural fairings are ore, metal and rocketpart tanks, as well as some batteries and monoprop. This is enough to build the kethane mining parts and more tanks to hold more resources.

After enough expanding, it can theoretically build a larger launchpad and a duplicate of itself to launch to other bodies.

Soon, the Kerbol system will be my VAB.

2014-11-13_00002.jpg

I've spent hours just flying over Kerbin. People who say that there's nothing on Kerbing except KSC and few easter eggs are plainly wrong. Kerbin has stunning landscapes: rivers flowing through giant canyons; plains blistered with thousands small lakes; mountains towering over hidden lakes. Today I've learned that our small KSP world is much more then just launch pad for cheap rockets.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've spent hours just flying over Kerbin. People who say that there's nothing on Kerbing except KSC and few easter eggs are plainly wrong. Kerbin has stunning landscapes: rivers flowing through giant canyons; plains blistered with thousands small lakes; mountains towering over hidden lakes. Today I've learned that our small KSP world is much more then just launch pad for cheap rockets.

http://imgur.com/a/psJvl

I do agree there are some stunning places to visit at Kerbin. Just takes a bit to find them as well as what you like. Or maybe we are easily impressed. =^.^=

More mod trying-out. Installed AntennaRange and knocked up a Mun lander with a little rover to test it out.

Launch:

15598175698_21eca4228d_o.png

After a slow lumber off the pad it got a bit squirrely around Mach 1, no great surprise with the rover on one side and no fairings. Still made orbit with no major drama though. Aero-failure-less FAR at least seems pretty easy.

Landing:

15163610424_16843b6fb2_o.png

The trick here was to use twin engines and thrust-limit one, so it flies nearly straight despite the off-centre load, and I can then stick both back to full throttle for takeoff. Landing was pretty routine, if not super-efficient.

Rover closeup:

15598750330_5ae2c523be_o.png

Drives quite well, if a bit skiddy. I rolled it plenty of times but no damage, and the QBE has enough torque to right it on the Mun.

Now to make Munar orbit and then hopefully I should see the orbiting lander come in and out of contact with the rover.

Edited by cantab

Well, I started a new career. No mods because I'm not really sold on any yet and I'm not totally sure how to install them. Spent a couple hours getting all the science I could at KSC at the time. So just EVA reports and surface samples from all the buildings. Yielded about 300 science. Then I started actually building rockets and slowly but surely got into space. Spent some time in the tracking station and found a class E asteroid that will come within 200km of Kerbin. I don't have advanced enough tech to grapple it, but I'm thinking of just sending up a huge rocket to collide with it to mess with its orbit. Never done anything like it before and it probably won't have any effect, but I think it might be interesting to see. Just sent up my first satellite and got its orbit to about 115km. It's only solar panels and comm devices, but it looks neat.

Finally managed to make a plane that actually achieved orbit. Too bad that's about all it can do but it helped me to understand what it takes. Now I can make more.

FDC12E5ECCE17D273BCDD0307BEDCF4CDB9D4EAA

Here she is in orbit:

C7635B870520B3B47D9CDCE53313BFEACC6583DD

And landed safely which was actually my first successful landing too. Missing one engine but otherwise ok.

6DED422F592FC08FF9519CCC9D2D5FEADB7351FF

One variation of the many landers and transfer ships I sent to several planets and several moons:

14A6D34BEF00DDF2045C1B3499D8B04A8483D5D1

Same ship modified to be a lander/ScanSat/Orbiter:

C2FD9D1410BE0F9B224DBCBC5E94C83F12266C7F

This setup was complete overkill to send a lander to Minmus:

C28B9454476735743663BDFF9BF51801264FF857

Crazy Mun lander I made with tons of fuel. I think I hit like 6 biomes and 2 anomalies before I parked it as a base.

0EFF110974DEDF92D9FCD7E7A6575170064579AF

Great pics. I have done the same before. Great fun.

http://imgur.com/a/psJvl