What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally starting to get the hang of spaceplanes

After realising it's bloody hard to dock two together using clampotrons I've put a station in a 100km Kerbin orbit with 2 each of standard, large and junior docks so I can use a spaceplane tanker to refuel stuff. Tanker still needs some tweaking but on its first go it's lifted about 3/4 of an orange tank worth of fuel/oxidizer to the station. Plenty to refuel my smaller space plane that's about to go and see if I can use it plant a flag on the Mun. After that I intend to flit a Klaw to the small spaceplane and use it to remove debris from orbit.

I'm finding the best way to get my space planes in to orbit is to MechJeb's Smart ASS to maintain a fixed pitch, rather than keep stabbing the W & S keys

screenshot12.png

The only slight issue is I decided to build a Mk2 lander can in to the station so I could use it to transfer crews, but then forgot to take the crew out before launch, so now I've got all 6 of my Kerbals up there. I'll have to send the next couple of flights up with an empty seat.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

Successfully put EveProbe 1 into orbit around its destination:

8sHuk9P.png

C2f5gdn.png

... and landed on the surface!

jcYATyG.png

The landing was touch-and-go for a moment. I found that the game was inexplicably focusing on debris being ejected rather than the probe, the probe's navigation was inverted on descent (no, I didn't put the probe core upside-down... at least, I don't think I did...), and when I tried to deploy the chute through staging the probe acted as though it was out of power (actual charge was around 75 out of 310). I managed to get the chute to deploy by right-clicking, thus pulling victory from the jaws of defeat.

Still, unnerving. I now have some appreciation for the Rosetta team when Philae had its mishaps while landing.

Edited by AndrewBCrisp

I underestimated the amount of delta-v necessary to get close enough to Kerbol to do low-in-space science. Unfortunately, I didn't realise this until the ship only had about 780m/s of delta-v left, so once it gets into interplanetary space, I'm gonna have to look for a cheap way to get Samemone Kerman back to Kerbin.

I threw up a few satellites for contracts (a couple as longer range comm sats for an upcoming solar probe contract and one map sat around Mun) and also completed another rover contract on Mun, the interesting / fun thing with the rover mission was puttering around in IVA / first person mode using the RasterProp and ProbeControlRoom mods for parts of it :).

2014-11-15_00003.jpg

Today I designed about 90% the successor to what's pictured in my signature below.

I'm landing this one on the runway if it kills me.

I'll try and come to your funeral.

In other news.... MY One of two decent rovers finally had an accident where it was not the wheels popping. A.K.A. was not watching my speed went to fast, wheels popped, should have been flatish terrain but had those invisable speed bumps. Broke off the front command pod (the other was at the back end to keep it balanced) before the rest with the science lab with moduals cam to a stop. Did try driving from the back one. But, with the fact I had no way to switch ends (without file editing) I ended up only driving 14 km away before turning it into a base. But, I had hit a few biomes as well as finished out a few too. Here is teh picture of the area it crossed, Starting from the east crater bottom rightish with the capsule and flag the going up to the left to hit a midland crater, then Northwest Crater and finally braking down in the Northern Basin:

5EF5A721F5835D3E1C61FABE24221DD3CF2882BC

Science gathered science I had all science pats unlocked, East Crater finished up, Highlands, Finished up midlands, Midland creater, Northwest Crater, Northern Basin. I know I could have done it faster if I just used a lander instead of having to be active for the few hours drive to each spot with no time warping.

I've hit the maximum memory for my science/career game that I started in 0.23

I thought it was those new mods I had put in (RemoteTech2, ScienceContainers, and FireSpitter), so tried the texture management pack... no effect. Game loads out at 3.5gig memory usage, but as soon as I try to fly my planes around Kerbin, memory steadily rises to ~3.7 gig and crashes to desktop. Now I get why everyone wants x64 version... Now I wan it too.

I can extend the life of my game by deleting FireSpitter and not use my Flying lab I spent so much time to design. But I don't really feel like it. Was planning to make it last until 0.26(0.90 now) and start a new career anyways, it just crashed 1-3 months early.

So I explored Laythe with my flying lab on my other game, will try Duna this week somewhen. Oh and still have to build that Tractor ship to move around my unassembled space station. So I guess I know what I'll do until the patch comes around !

Wrote up a RealFuels config for NecroBones's fuel tanks, duly assisted by the volume of a sphere, as well as a tweak to get .

I also almost finished my 6.4x Apollo-like mission. I got to the Mun, planted my flag, took off, switched to the command module to check something, switched back to the lander for rendezvous, watched the Kraken smash it to the ground in three seconds flat... and I had no save file since before I'd even launched the mission. So very frustrating.

KAkcNLj.png

Inching my way towards having a Europa orbiter and lander, launched from an SLS block 1b. I could only afford to get captured in a highly ecliptical orbit. Been slingshoting around Io and Callisto over a year now. It was pretty easy at first, since the quick orbital period of Io allowed me to do uninterrupted slingshots on each pass, but now that I've lowered my AP it's much harder to do the same with Callisto, so I just have to take them as they come.

hell.jpg

This is making me dizzy :confused:

Did a Minmus landing with FAR, Deadly Re-entry, and TAC Life Support installed. Took a few goes, my first attempt had to abort when I realised I'd under-calculated the life support requirements.

My landing was not quite where I planned.

15808072542_f66b113c29_o.png

On the return I tried to do a lifting entry. Well maybe I shouldn't, because I popped back out of the atmosphere and needed to do another orbit. And though I'd had the presence of mind to fill up the pod's life support on the way back for this eventuality, I had no electrical generation, leaving me with about 2 hours supply (plus the 2 hour go-without-life-support period). Fortunately the second pass brought me down safely.

I discovered that when you strapped KW's smallest 5m tank and 18 large ullage motors to the Griffon Century and an OKTO2, you get some very pretty pictures courtesy of FAR and possibly Deadly Reentry.

WH65V7C.png

All of those explosions are the ullage motors self-destructing from Deadly Reentry heat, or possibly FAR aerodynamic disassembly.

While continuing building my asteroid base I came across a pretty picture that even with 100 orbits a day, you keep missing or not at a perfect inclination while timewarping around.

Behind Kerbin at a perfect time in geo orbit, you can see the evenly light breakup around the planet, wished I had stronger city lights to make it complete.

zXckvB5.png

[ Full res at the bottom https://imgur.com/a/2BRJH ]

Starting to wander if I play ksp for the space program or for the awsome views you get to wish you were there :cool:

Flew planes. Had another go with the Moneybroker 7 - actually managed to get the damn thing into orbit thanks to some advice I'd received on the forums. The deorbit...still not sure what happened there. KER said I had the delta-V for the deorbit maneuver, and yet the burn put me just within the atmosphere (as opposed to 44K over KSC, where it should've put me). Delta-V required increased as the burn progressed, so I'm thinking something wasn't properly set as the control part. Annoying no matter how you slice it.

Flew a couple of aerial survey missions. First one I had a botched landing; Jeb had to eject and I lost most of the plane in the process. Designed a new surveyor plane. Managed to land that one on the runway intact.