What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Parked my large station transports around Eeloo anticipating that one day we will find that it is actually a moon of another gas giant.

I also have 4 smaller stations in transit to Jool to park one around each moon. I started a space plane on its way but burned too much fuel and it will not be able to correct to hit the Joolian system. I'll need to send a refueler if I can catch it.

Starting over with a new save, really going from scratch doing tests and all that.

Building up with suborbital tests, two attempted sat launches (One was launched into a helocentric orbit, the other in a slowly decaying orbit.

Started maned program - two suborbital tests, and just had my first orbit. After using Mecjeb it fun on how bad altitude control is on manual.

Well I didn't exactly design this today, but I flew a demonstration mission to take pictures! It's a SpaceShipTwo inspired design, but capable of fully orbital flight.

That's one of the neatest SS2-derived designs i've seen in KSP, nice work.

It's not so much what I did today, but more of what I wasn't able to do... damn Clamp-o-tron Sr. not wanting to undock.

I've been building up in orbit, launching modules which ultimately will dock together - my Ion ship "Algernon". I should have stuck with my original plan, specific stages one after another. But I strayed from plan and launched one of the later segments up early. After docking, bringing up the segment which was supposed to go before it, I couldn't get anything to undock so I could reassemble as intended. Grrrrr. I tried everything; Switching back and forth between ships, exiting back to the Space Center, exiting out of the game, etc. Nada. I just recently had read about others having problems with such too. I'm not wanting to exit out of the game to edit and fiddle with config or persist files - cheating in my book. So I had no alternative but to deorbit the whole damn thing and start over again. I hope they come up with a patch for this, and soon.

Chalking it up as more 'docking practice'.

Searching for useful gravity assists for Tylo insertion felt too much like work, so I decided to do something less involved for a while.

poodle_test.jpeg

It turns out that the Poodle is viable as a first stage engine in the 6.4x Kerbol System.

With the Jool mission wrapped up and my 6.4x tech tree nearly complete, today I launched the core module of my second-generation, long-term space station.

V8LRGG0.png

Korolev Cross. Still love this.

6Lb1MgZ.png

Staging and fairing separation:

Q6L6FCJ.png

This launch finally hit the limit for my Colossus booster. The final few minutes were very dicey, with the SS core burning its tiny engines at nearly 45* as it hit ApA and started to drop back into the atmosphere.

vfUwpD6.png

The final circularization burn was clear on the other side of the planet. Did make for a pretty pic tho :D

qdEhbyy.png

With the core module finally in a stable orbit, the crew launched to meet it 23 hours later in my tried-&-true Manned Utility Launch (aka Mule).

V0WOxkZ.png

A rarity for a MUL launch, the interstage contained no cargo. Only veteran Elfurt and rookies Newmund & Billy-Bobgas Kerman

1RiJbat.png

The crew docked at the aft port, which will be reserved for cargo ships in the future, to leave room for the first lab module (when they'll actually have something to do). They then settled in for their 6-month tour.

M1Duxlz.png

Newmund needed a nice long space shower after several hours couped up in a very small pod with with a guy with a name like Billy-BobGas.

ql9tb9u.png

Well taking a brake from my second Mun Rover after driving 76 km's heading to the southwest or was it southeast crater:

F2287D5D9E628A6BC9F3C04C1F644F9C1C7D172C

Basicly start at the east creater top where the base, flag, and over is then I worked my way south to the edge where I go both polar and polar lowland science for what ever reason. Not caring as it fits Kerbal logic somehow. Then moved west where my only active/capable of moving rover is currently parked some x km away.

The proverbial boys back at the lab, powered by coffee so strong they had to eat it with a knife and fork, assembled an improved rescue scooter for Dilfrod and Munrick. Since I wasn't sure what had thrown KER off on the previous vessel, I used LFO and a 48-7S, and KAS was not involved. KER claimed 2400m/s, and much simulation was performed to ensure that it wasn't lying this time. It wasn't.

Buzz hired some rookie and took him up in the Airhog One to deploy it. By this point, Dilfrod and Munrick had been huddled around a tiny heater in the darkness on the Mun eating cold snacks for two and a half days.

0ixS49E.jpg

Release was nominal, the engine burn was nominal, and the Munar encounter was forecast to be nominal as well. Everything was nominal. Couldn't get more nominal if you tried. 860m/s was used for TMI, we'll be liberal and say 300m/s for capture and 800m/s for landing, which adds up to 1960m/s, leaving, uh ... oh. 440m/s for liftoff. balls.

this is what you get when you rush and don't let your boys back at the lab get any decent sleep.

Took Tjprime's Mun lander for a spin. Landed badly at night and tipped over, but got the ship back upright fairly easily. Then flew over on the jetpack to visit one of the Mun's anomalies, having previously spotted it on the landing approach. Killed Bill by crashing when flying back :(

15264116844_30ef876512_o.png

Though the lander carries five, playing on my TAC save meant I could only send one Kerbal.

Built a tailsitter.

15887214145_cb2e27259a_o.png

It takes off fine, transitions to forward flight, and flies like a dream. (In FAR, with aero failures off.) Transitioning back to vertical flight is OK but I do gain more height than I'd like, and the controlled vertical descent is fine if tricky to fly.

The problem is it just won't land intact! I touch down nice and slow, 6 m/s or so, and nothing explodes right away but it simply falls apart. I strutted the tailplane and fin to the main fuel tank and reinforced the engines and wings but it still crumbles like a dry sandcastle.