What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

30 fuel tankers later...

tylo_crew_launch_1.jpeg

...it was finally the time to launch the command module of my 6.4x Tylo ship.

tylo_crew_launch_2.jpeg

A quick inspection before docking.

tylo_ship_3.jpeg

2519.6 tonnes, 278 parts, 3.4 km/s in the Kerbin escape stage, 7.6 km/s in the transfer stage, around 13.5 km/s in the lander, and hopefully enough spare fuel in the transfer stage to refuel the ascent stage for the return trip.

I also completed a full staging test to see how the ship works in practice. Some obsevations:

• The ship isn't as rigid as I hoped it would be, so the Kerbin escape stage must be limited to 1/3 throttle. Neither SAS nor Smart A.S.S. can handle the ship, so I'll have to keep in on course manually.
  • 28 nuclear engines on full throttle are enough to vaporize the fairing base and the first thrust plate instantly.
  • The ship behaves much better after dropping the Kerbin escape stage. Everything worked perfectly with 2x physics warp.
  • Due to some strange fuel routing problems, the ship starts draining fuel from one of the outer boosters when there is just one fuel tank remaining in the transfer stage. This can be handled by transfering fuel manually during flight.
  • Something explodes when I drop the last pair of asparagus boosters from the lander. It doesn't appear to be anything critical.

tylo_engine_test.jpeg

Oh man, the patience you must have to design something like that.

I'm quite a comformist when it comes to building "replicas". My ships are merely inspired or take ideas from real world spacecraft, and as long as they do their thing and look good, I'll be happy. I admit that they may look way better than what a newbie might design, but most of the stuff I make is made up on the spot and never given a second glance unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not even sure I'd be able to reach the point users like Majorjim or you have reached in terms of replica design.

Today after a long morning of thought and a lot of coffee... I tested planes and failed miserably... Oh the craters....

• The ship isn't as rigid as I hoped it would be, so the Kerbin escape stage must be limited to 1/3 throttle. Neither SAS nor Smart A.S.S. can handle the ship, so I'll have to keep in on course manually.

Try placing the SAS in the center of the planned completed ship. Also consider RCS for maneuvering support and using support struts to reduce oscillations if you have any.

I had a similar issue with my space science lab / kerbal hair care center so I redesigned it and put struts on and more RCS control on also.

Edited by elfnet

I landed a spaceplane on laythe! It was a very messy approach, I messed up the aerobrake at Jool and Laythe so I had to use kerbalmaps to find a new Island to land on (I was originally going to land on the big island on the leftmost of the screen but ended up on the island at 23 north, 72 west)

5fGXgiH.png

Click me for full report

Edited by peachoftree

Continued from here ...

Today i designed a jetboat for my Laythe colony project. It took 3 design approaches and 2 variants of the one you see here, to get the vehicle moving save, fast and stable and also keep it small enough to fit inside the third lander (top row). The last design of the boat, shown here, performed very well, reaching a solid speed of 97 m/s on the water while keeping completely calm and upright. Bob Kerman was skeptic throughout the complete test phase, but finally got his smile back when returning to shore with a successful landing maneuver.

Now its back to the third lander. There is still room to fill with useful equipment for the base. A spaceplane and a fourth lander with the colony core and some storage capacity for fuel and stuff will conclude the design phase. Hopefully by the end of the week. But now... enjoy the pictures :)

TtWjeyd.jpg

Just to mention... no part clipping or so going on here. Its as simple as you see it.

Edited by Frank_G

Try placing the SAS in the center of the planned completed ship. Also consider RCS for maneuvering support and using support struts to reduce oscillations if you have any.

I had a similar issue with my space science lab / kerbal hair care center so I redesigned it and put struts on and more RCS control on also.

The real problem is with the mass distribution of the ship. I have a 15 m front section with 500 tonnes of fuel, a 15 m middle section/lander weighting 250 tonnes, and a 25 m rear section with 1750 tonnes of fuel. The front and rear sections have different periods of oscillation, so anything the SAS does will only make the matters worse. Having independent control systems for the front and the rear could help, but as far as I know, no mod supports that.

There are something like 30-40 struts in the middle section that allow the ship to survive incredible abuse, but that's probably an order of magnitude too little to make it rigid.

Worked on my jool-5 rocket, the Delta IV heavy I made isn't enough, so I will need to convert it to an asparagus staged instead. The first stage and boosters are my delta IV heavy replica and the second stage is a modified delta IV stage (half the size, some nukes, and some jets for lay the. The lander for all the moon's but laytye the and tylo is just a modified orion (it is wider, and has a nuke). The capsule is one I made out of wing parts and some monopropelant.

This is my first post, but this thread gets me excited about my accomplishments :) Trying to tell someone who doesn't play KSP that you got back from minmus with only ~15 delta v to spare doesn't sound that impressive. :)

Today I started a new campaign with 30% science and 40% everything else but yes to resetting to launch and build ( with no real game changing mods). I really think this will be a good challenge. I've played most of the way through 3 campaigns and I keep finding that by the time I get to duna (especially with a lab on board) I've pretty much unlocked everything. Kinda kills the drive for me. So with my experience I think it will be a challenge. After quite a bit of trial and error I got landed on the mun. (with no hope of return unfortunately) But I think this will work out... I guess my goal is to have everything unlocked just before I've finished exploring every planet and moon. I really want to have to get creative with my rocket building/space exploring to succeed. If anyone has a suggestion of a balance of difficulty that will produce my desired result (that is possible to win :P) let me know!

This is my first post, but this thread gets me excited about my accomplishments :) Trying to tell someone who doesn't play KSP that you got back from minmus with only ~15 delta v to spare doesn't sound that impressive. :)

Today I started a new campaign with 30% science and 40% everything else but yes to resetting to launch and build ( with no real game changing mods). I really think this will be a good challenge. I've played most of the way through 3 campaigns and I keep finding that by the time I get to duna (especially with a lab on board) I've pretty much unlocked everything. Kinda kills the drive for me. So with my experience I think it will be a challenge. After quite a bit of trial and error I got landed on the mun. (with no hope of return unfortunately) But I think this will work out... I guess my goal is to have everything unlocked just before I've finished exploring every planet and moon. I really want to have to get creative with my rocket building/space exploring to succeed. If anyone has a suggestion of a balance of difficulty that will produce my desired result (that is possible to win :P) let me know!

15 m/s is indeed a very slim dV margin, and bespeaks either very good or very bad design skills, depending on how you look at it.

In any event, the tech tree is a bit hard to cope with: a lot of the things you need to pull off good interplanetary missions (particularly docking ports) come so late in the tech tree that you pretty much need to spam Mun/Minmus biomes until you have almost finished the tree. What I'd probably do is move the end-game science parts and docking ports to a lower node, nerf the gain from those end-game parts, and nerf Mun/Minmus biome-specific science, such that you really need to send some lightweight probes to other planets to polish out your tree.

Also, in the spirit of the thread: started re-designing a new unmanned Duna mission, abusing NecroBones's 1.25m cargo bay to stuff in a million science parts and other little things. I just had the idea of sticking my Duna landing parachutes on radial decouplers, which is much easier to handle than a stack parachute with Sepratrons.

Edited by Starman4308

I really want to have to get creative with my rocket building/space exploring to succeed. If anyone has a suggestion of a balance of difficulty that will produce my desired result (that is possible to win :P) let me know!

Have you tried the Interstellar mod? The changes to the tech tree make it harder to fill out, and you get some fun new toys, especially later in the tree (antimatter reactors:) )

Or try 6.4x Kerbol. Not yet very compatible with with career mode, but definitely a challenge.

On that note: I tried to get into LKO in 6.4x, again to no avail :D

So I got frustrated and went back to my normal sized game full of mods. Which crashed during launch of a probe intended to go to Eve. Damm you .25 and whatever made ATM less reliable with the update.

Sent a lab/scanner/future refueling station to the Jool system with hopes of moving between moons and scanning as much as possible then hooking up with a refueler and scanning the rest.

5BB05AECF3477A378F844471D19922A812612D7C

Problems started due to too extreme of an angle when entering the system and way too much speed. Just couldn't slow down enough or get a good encounter and brake well enough. So my new plan was to crash into Jool and scrap the mission out of shear disgust.

E08863B9C1EAE882CEFDA09D4D872F9240233196

F106D24B31D14055134517FAFDF0D532BEC108DB

1632E9B18CB57BEA00CA9DF8B4279620A37D643D

I took my 6.4x Tylo ship to a test flight. First I raised the orbit from 200 km to 45000x200 km over several passes, reducing the final transfer burn to around 4.3 km/s.

tylo_test_flight_1.jpeg

Then I completed a rather crude transfer burn, matched planes with Jool at the descending node, and got a direct encounter with Tylo.

tylo_test_flight_2.jpeg

The insertion burn to Tylo orbit was around 3.4 km/s. If I can shave off around 0.4 km/s somewhere, I should have reasonable margins for the actual mission. Maybe I'll use gravity assists in the Jool system.

Was sick most of the day yesterday. Farted around with a Munar mission spaceplane design I intend to use for a 0.25 K-prize entry; the initial design failed to make orbit. Just needs moar intakes, me thinks...it's what I get for relying too heavily on radial air intakes. Probably oughta put some RCS capability on the lander too, especially if I want to be able to dock the stupid thing back up to the plane when everything's said and done.

Today (and the last 2 days) I have been working on a whole maritime project. I first made a seaplane after someone on another forum mentioned doing one. It turned out really great; handles like a dream and is really safe on the water, but lacks significant range. It only has 60 units on liquid fuel onboard, which gets about ~100km or so, give or take. Next plan was to make a tanker ship of sorts that could rendezvous with the plane and refuel it. It gets 81.5m/sec top speed, and carries almost 6,000 units of liquid fuel for itself and the planes. KAS of course to perform the refueling. Eventually this lead me to installing Kerbinside, though I am able to launch the ship from the runway without the mod. So now, I am using the planes to fly around and check out some of the new Kerbinside attractions, while following them with the ships.