Who else here is into model rocketry?

artao

A quick clarification for those of us who do not know the difference between model rocketry and High-Power rocketry: model rocketry is rocketry using motors with less than 160 Newton-seconds of total impulse each, or less than 320 Newton-seconds of combined total impulse, along with some other weight and construction material constrictions. High-Power rocketry is that conducted with more than 160 newton-seconds of impulse in one motor, or a cluster of motors totaling over 320 Newton-seconds of impulse, and allows the use of both larger rockets, and those constructed out of metal. High-Power rocketry requires a certification from either the National Association of Rocketry, or TRIPOLI, another rocket organization.

We actually completely scratch-built many successful rockets using materials as simple as: strong cardboard, garbage bags, coke bottles, plastic caps from spray-paint cans, and PVC pipe. Our biggest one was almost 4 feet tall, had a 32 gallon trash bag as a parachute and a 3 liter cola bottle as a nose cap... it used D12 engines and survived a dozen launches or more before being retired.

I love building them- so far I haven't built any mew ones, but I'd love to get back into it, money permitting.

Yeah, I've been an off and on rocketeer since 7th grade.

One of my most satisfying scratch-built rockets was the Junk Fax Avenger. It consisted of a junk fax, some scotch tape, some fins hacked out of balsa, a straightened out paper clip (to hold the motor), and a plastic Easter egg for the nosecone. Flew great on a C.

I flew a few during my high school years.

My first rocket was a Quest Astra III, which I promptly lost on its first flight due to its parachute being snagged by high winds.

My second (and last) rocket was a scratchbuilt design dubbed Black Arrow 1, which had both forward and rear fins as well as a streamer in place of the parachute. BA1 flew twice - the first time, it was recovered successfully, whilst the second time, the streamer failed to deploy and it became a rocket-powered lawn dart. Luckily, the only damage were from the forward fins on the nose cone digging and tearing into the body tube.

Although the damage could have been easily repaired with some replacement tubing and couplers, I gave up on rocketry mainly because I was living in New Zealand at the time, where the only rocketry supplies vendor was an unreliable old git who seldom responded to emails or phone calls, and was always on the verge of "going out of business".

BA1 is now gathering dusty in a smelly old shoebox at my parent's place. Perhaps one day, I'll have better luck finding a supplier here in Australia.

Yeah, I've been an off and on rocketeer since 7th grade.

One of my most satisfying scratch-built rockets was the Junk Fax Avenger. It consisted of a junk fax, some scotch tape, some fins hacked out of balsa, a straightened out paper clip (to hold the motor), and a plastic Easter egg for the nosecone. Flew great on a C.

Tried the 'Easter egg nose cone' on one... the fit was a bit tight... the puny A we were testing it with didn't have enough 'kick' to pop the chute out.

The poor little paper towel tube body couldn't handle the pressure, though, and it had a 'spontaneous existence failure' about 50 feet up.

Subsequent rockets used industrial grade cardboard rather than 'whatever was laying around.'

This is great! :D .. I figured model rocketry would have some enthusiasts around here.

@Nutt007 - oh wow. I have never been IN that section of the forum. Hadn't even thought of looking there. Cool, thanks!

Yeah. I was afraid of that. Now that this is in the Off-Topic area, it is rapidly falling backward in the listings and not being noticed. In two days of being in the General section, it got to 3 pages.

Anyhow, hope this stays active. Tho there is the other thread in Science section as well.

This thread has become TOTALLY buried in all the noise in Off-Topic

PLEASE moderators. Could someone merge this thread into the "Unofficial Kerbal Space Program Model Rocketry Thread" here >> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27122-Unofficial-Kerbal-Space-Program-Model-Rocketry-Thread?highlight=model+rocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.